Gundog Photo

crowstopper

yes i think the rule of introducing dogs to water slowly should always be used , and always start of on a shallow bank and work up to steeper 1's.

yes Indeed it does look wolfish, and the second 1 looks like it has been catapulted from land.

i will get some more photos on here of flying and wolfish dogs soon :thumbs: :lol::lol:

crowstopper

I had a super springer a few years ago which I lost prematurely to Cushings disease.

He was from an exceptionally successful working line and was very easy to train, particularly marking and retrieving in water. He absolutely loved it...

I remember the first time I took him to the bank side at about 6 months old he bolted down a steep bank and straight out into 8ft of freezing water after a moorhen he had spotted on the opposite bank. That dog had the biggest feet of any springer I have ever seen and he could swim like a bloody otter. When I started training him to retreive dummies over water I did it on a stretch of the local river Coln and he used to swim around with his head under the water watching the shoals of grayling swimming below.

On one occasion during a hot day in 82 he vaulted our garden fence I spend 3 hours searching the village looking for him and all the time he was cooling off in our neighbours swimming pool... What a dog...

It was just over 4 ft high..

I have had a couple of springers and they make such wonderful working dogs and companions.

I have a couple of cockers at the moment 22 months old and showing great potential One though will not work anywhere near water or even tolerate a drop of rain on his back. Funny how they differ.

A springer though in my opinion is the greatest of all the gun dogs.

They can hunt and flush up even the stubbornest of woodcock, tackle the thickest of thorn hedges and briars, swim better than Mark Spitz. mark point and retreive with the best of them... a great all round dog.

Why we dont get more of them winning the gundog section at Cruffs instead of all of these obsolete and obscure continental breeds that would **** themselves and bolt like Linford Christy if they ever heard a 12g go off is beyond me.

The camera I have got is bloody good it’s a Sony 1 and I must say I have never had a camera that can take picture as good as that.

The second picture although it don’t look like it is a youngster only around 10moths old and its a trainer we have only had for 3 weeks :thumbs: :lol:.

Mike I must disagree with you on the best gundog breed, I would have to say a Labrador of good work line is the best gundog. They have style can be fast and are easy to train (in the most part) As well as that they can work out cover well and can be great for long marks and blinds.

Although I do agree that springers are better then labs to work out cover I also do agree with you that the dogs at crufts are a load of crud and like you said they would **** themselves and bolt like Linford Christy if they ever heard a 12g go off.

Crowstopper (Labrador fan) :):lol::lol::P

post-11-1082402882.jpg

Mike I must disagree with you on the best gundog breed, I would have to say a Labrador of good work line is the best gundog.

Labs are fine dogs crowstopper and you obviously love yours. Thats the most important thing in training any dog... Love and affection... all the main well known breeds are just so keen to please and I have said before on this forum you will get back what you give to these dogs, 10 fold...

Let me tell you a interesting and completely true story....

I once loaded on a well known west country shoot ( About 27 years ago) for a well known country gent ( no names ) Who beat his dog with a hazel switch becasuse it would not respond to his commands and made him look like the **** he was.

During lunch he tied the dog in the back of his drover and left it there shivering and disconsolate. I had words with the so called gentleman about it but he basically talked to me as though I was a peasant. That afternoon I deliberately kept loading slow so as he missed shooting opportunities and on the last drive of the day loaded two spent cases. He called me over and tore me of a strip in front of the rest of the party and subsequently did not pay me for the days work.

I can say this now because he has passed on, but I was so angry about the dog I slashed one of his tyres with my pocket knife whilst he was outside the village pub.

My friend who was at the time his game keeper aquired the dog ( a 2 1/2 year old Lab bitch) and passed it on to a friend of a friend who was a shooting companion and an experienced dog handler.

He retrained this dog, giving it the love and respect and attention it deserved and it won 2 Open FTC,s and was placed in the top 3 on many occasions one of which was judged by the **** who was his previous owner. That dog got his own back big time...

When it died 15 years back my friend, the dogs owner, cried like a baby for days and 6 of us clubbed to gether and bought him a new pup.. another lab.

Hi Crowstopper,

Very impressed with the quality of the photos!

What model Sony have you got?

Interested as I am currently looking for a new digi camera.

Great to see some good action shots of dogs doing what they love!

I'm a total springer fan myself but love to see any gundog happily working.

On our shoot last season one of the guns guests joined us in the beating line on a couple of occasions. He had a very small lab dog, this little dog hunted cover as keenly as any spaniel only struggling in the really thick stuff (very impressed).

The only problem was he couldn't stop him once he had got his head down :lol:

A case of selective hearing! something else it had in common with many a springer :thumbs:

Cheers

First of all the camera model DSC-P72 was around £250 when I bought it and now have come down to around £170-150 if you look hard enough on the web. I can recommend as the best digital camera I have ever used, it also does short movies with sound which is good. I can also tell u that it is robust, on the first day I had it I was carrying in a small case down my garden path and although I did not know it the case was open and it slipped out and fell 3-4feet onto solid concrete, and it still works.

Second I most agree with you Mike you should never beat a dog. As it will not respond. I have had a look in my photo collection and I found this 1 it is not as good but is ok.

post-11-1082480222.jpg

you have got some very nice pictures there :thumbs:

we have to hit our young SheepDog.. he will run after the sheep until he has it pinned down. what do we do? he is a very good dog for his age (1year 8months) but it is the only thing he does wrong.. we will be going along on the quad and if a sheep is by itself he will go for it and pin it down.-good job he hasnt got sharp teeth.

we may have to hit him but he runs and runs after lambs and sheep and they may have a heart attack or when their pregnant. what do we do? we may have to use a stick on him. havnt used 1 for 8months because he did everything perfect.

Aled

Guest Mr Pieman

This'll surprise you! My favourite gundog is a Border Collie - two actually. This is a picture of Kelly (10 Blue Merle) and Lucy (12 Tri colour). They are veteran search & rescue (SAR)dogs and have been deployed around the world to search for people trapped following earthquakes and mudslides for several years. They've been to Columbia, Turkey (twice), Peru, Iran, Algeria, Russia and Jordan (the country, not the tart :thumbs: )

They have been with me for two months now as their owner (a fellow SAR team member) has gone to Hong Kong for a year. They will bring rabbits, pigeons, crows etc to hand and are spot on in marking dropped game. We play lots and to them its just another fun game. Lots of dogs do the gundog thing, but one needs to remember that Border Collies are normally 'sight' dogs, not 'scent' dogs. Once you change their location methods they really are amazing to watch. Great pair of girls :lol::lol::lol: