28 bore semi auto?

Big Mat

Hello all,

Is anyone using a 28 bore semi auto? 

The girlfriend has hinted that I need to get her a new gun, after I sold her 20 bore ( well the one I bought myself that she claimed).

She never really like the 20 over under, 28 bore semi auto fits the bill for what she wants, the Armsan seems reasonably priced on guntrader.

thanks

mat

Hi yes I use a 28gauge semi auto. It’s  a Benelli  and I have used it for about ten years ,it weighs about five pounds . If you decide to buy a 28gauge for your girl friend you may then buy another for your self, she might not let you use it. Armsan 28gauge shotguns weighs about five pounds and as you said they are reasonably priced. I’ve shot 28gauge shotguns for twenty years and I should have got one earlier. I’ve used steel shot in my gun from the day l bought it, l also use tss and non toxic shot. I have a Benelli beccaccia in 20gauge with a 24 Inch barrel it weighs five and a half pounds , it’s not much heavier than the 28gauge. As island gun said you can get them with two stocks. Good luck.

On 29/11/2020 at 15:05, islandgun said:

Yes mate i have an Armsan cre8, a very handy gun, Im loading it with tungston 7's for duck, get the one with two stocks and she might let you use it as well..

That would be the plan, she only ever comes shooting half a dozen times a year. I bet it makes a nice fast duck gun

2 minutes ago, Big Mat said:

That would be the plan, she only ever comes shooting half a dozen times a year. I bet it makes a nice fast duck gun

Thats exactly why i got it [along with something for my wife..😉] where i shoot there are high hills as a backdrop on three sides and in the evening darkness i only see the birds for a moment before they disappear. no time to swing a heavy gun, I happy with the small size tungsten shot now being promoted and only loading 28 and 20 bore this year, will see how it goes.. 

17 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Thats exactly why i got it [along with something for my wife..😉] where i shoot there are high hills as a backdrop on three sides and in the evening darkness i only see the birds for a moment before they disappear. no time to swing a heavy gun, I happy with the small size tungsten shot now being promoted and only loading 28 and 20 bore this year, will see how it goes.. 

let us know how the loading goes. I am toying with getting a cheap 28 to put tungsten through. Wouldn’t use the Guerini on the shore!

26 minutes ago, islandgun said:

is that the TSS 15 or 18 you're using?

17 minutes ago, Big Mat said:

is that the TSS 15 or 18 you're using?

15 @ 7's... although perhaps 18 might be better !

29 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

let us know how the loading goes. I am toying with getting a cheap 28 to put tungsten through. Wouldn’t use the Guerini on the shore!

Ive only patterned the 28 with 23grams, and the 20 -32 grams both lilgun, not many duck around at the moment and havn't had the inclination to go for a Greylag without enough evidence of clean kills, its expensive stuff to fire away at on a board

3 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Ive only patterned the 28 with 23grams, and the 20 -32 grams both lilgun, not many duck around at the moment and havn't had the inclination to go for a Greylag without enough evidence of clean kills, its expensive stuff to fire away at on a board

Know what you mean same for using ITM in the 8 bore. Why I generally use steel. Had a couple of pinks this morning.

Was a fella on YouTube shoots a cre8 semi auto in Ireland smile and woodcock shooting. He praises it highly.

Fella I worked with bought his wife a Benelli 28bore with carbon fiber rib, was a lovely gun, he used it more than she did.

If I was going sub guage semi I'd go with 20bore, more choice of cart in non toxic too.

Edited by figgy

23 hours ago, islandgun said:

I hear the 18 in 9s in good on duck, I've yet to invest in any to try through the 12.