Webley VMX DRam

gmm243

Evening,

Very similar to another recent post but my 12 year old is looking for a .177 air rifle,break barrel or under lever.

He has been looking up on the net for something that he would like and the above mentioned gun has come up a few times. Does anyone have any experience of these or any other air rifles that may be more suitable?He is very tall and pretty strong for his age but want to be able to get him something that he can cock on his own and something that is not too heavy. Prob budget in around £200.Not many guns shops here with second hand air rifles so prob going to have to buy on line either new or second hand.

Thanks.

Honestly I've not heard much that's great about those webley guns, I'd be going for secondhand

1 because it's generally lost any value it's going too from new and resale should be similar if needed

2 get much better quality. 

3 if they don't get into it you get a new decent toy or your money back 

I'd look for a hw99s, bsa supersport or lightning or for a few quid more a walther lgu or terrus. I understand you can be slightly limited on supply's of used goods over there. 

Thanks for all the replies.I saw a few reviews on the Webley which were not too encouraging. Wondered if anyone had any contrasting experience.

I will have to have a look at the online sales for a second hand one and then try to rfd as there seems to be a very poor market for second hand air guns locally.It is a shame as it would be nice to hold something that you are planning to buy before parting with any money.

I will have to get it put on my FAC which is already away getting a variation on,will be lucky to have anything by Easter!!

9 minutes ago, gmm243 said:

Thanks for all the replies.I saw a few reviews on the Webley which were not too encouraging. Wondered if anyone had any contrasting experience.

I will have to have a look at the online sales for a second hand one and then try to rfd as there seems to be a very poor market for second hand air guns locally.It is a shame as it would be nice to hold something that you are planning to buy before parting with any money.

I will have to get it put on my FAC which is already away getting a variation on,will be lucky to have anything by Easter!!

So could you get one posted to you or only to a rfd? 

If you having to put it on your ticket .don't by the webley they are cheap and plasticky and boing a lot .

Sounds like if he can't actually cock a gun right now he will be able to in a few months. 

I'd seriously  look at something with a bit more quality  though i wouldn't go for an underleaver the can be  too heavy  even for adults .I sold my tx200 just because it was too much to carry around and I'm no fairy .

Hw 99 , hw30 

Bsa lightening .

Walther terrus 

Diana if you can find one  

And some of the remington  guns are pretty good .

All guns over here have to be on your FAC,in fact there is no such thing as a shotgun cert in N Ireland.Sub 12ft/lbs air guns are treated the same as any other gun and have to be listed on your FAC.Mine is away getting a mod and another shotgun on.I am not sure how long that might take then to apply for another air rifle and then to rub salt into the wounds it is up for renewal in March!

All guns would have to be sent to RFD as you can not get guns or components posted to your house.

1 hour ago, Ultrastu said:

If you having to put it on your ticket .don't by the webley they are cheap and plasticky and boing a lot .

Sounds like if he can't actually cock a gun right now he will be able to in a few months. 

I'd seriously  look at something with a bit more quality  though i wouldn't go for an underleaver the can be  too heavy  even for adults .I sold my tx200 just because it was too much to carry around and I'm no fairy .

Hw 99 , hw30 

Bsa lightening .

Walther terrus 

Diana if you can find one  

And some of the remington  guns are pretty good .

Thank you for the reply,hopefully he is strong enough now to cock a rifle but I will be with him regardless so can cock it for him.

Have you any experience with the BSA Comet Evo?

Not the evo version .

The older comet as it was ,

Has a plastic stock and is basically a gamo gun with a bsa barrel on it .it wasnt the best gun I've ever shot .

Most plastic stocks will make a poor to average gun shoot poorly .where as the same action in a wooden stock will improve the accuracy  and whole experience  .

The wood absorbs the recoil and surge of the action making pulling the trigger more pleasant and adds some weight that can result in better accuracy  .

The bsa lighting xl tactical has a "plastic " stock but its of the best quality  I've ever experienced. But its still not as good as a wooden one .

I would much prefer a wooden stocked gun for appearances sake if nothing else but if they shoot better than plastic or synthetic stocked guns that really makes my mind up for me.

I will have a look through the second hand gun sites for starters and see what I can find.Don't want anything too heavy but the are bound to be some guns in good  nick that are up for sale as kids have grown out of them.

So that top black bsa xl tac in my photo is a great gun for kids .if you look the pistol grip is almost vertical and the neck (the bit your thumb wraps round ) is thin .this means that smaller hands can get onto it better than the longer wooden version below .

The stock is a touch shorter than the wooden one .

The black gun is in .22 and I've detuned it to 10.5 fpe which makes it pretty easy to cock i can always add an extra silencer to the end for more mechanical advantage when cooking (like ive done with the wooden one ) 

My kids (11 + 10 ) shoot the black one better than the wooden one .as it fits them better .

The above applies to these bsa s not all guns .

the hw  series  of guns (all wooden ) have suck a raked back pistol grip which is a long way from the trigger .making it  v hard for small to med hands to get onto properly .and long butt stocks .

I wondered about the very long/full length silencer on the wooden one.The black gun looks pretty much size wise what I am looking for but as I have said it is not that easy sourcing air rifles locally here and would prob be easier to get them posted over. I have another son who is 10 next summer and will be obviously keen to use this new gun.I had him shooting 1.5" 3 shot group at 110m yesterday with my .243 so they are both well used to shooting and this will be very much a shared gun.

I was just sent a link by a friend to a BSA meteor SE (I think),it is he more modern version and has a wooden stock and well within the proce range.I looked up a few reviews but they are all copy and paste of the makers blurb so take them with a large punch if salt,would be interested to hear if anyone had used one in normal circumstances. 

I've just had a look on guntrader and didn't see a single bsa xl tac like mine above for sale .

Loads of wooden ones and supersports old and new 

The super sports and newer meteors have quite long barrels but this can really help kids cock the gun .but then they struggle to hold it on aim as its so much weight out front .

If you looking at the bsa s .

Try to avoid the ones which look like they have 2 triggers in the trigger guard  .its a trigger and safety. These are basically gamo guns and the triggers are awful  and the guns can be twangy .

The bsas with the safety up on the right  side are better and I prefer the older non se version .they are lighter too  

I can't remember what bsa it was but it had the safety in the trigger said above as ive (as a rule) stuck with (older) bsas over the years (cadets, airsporter, supersport, meteors superstar, lightnings). It was awful. I actually gave the gun away I was so ****** off with it. I'll always have a soft spot for a mk1 supersport or lightning, I'm currently using a mk2 meteor which I took out today after doing it up, not that I'd recommend it 😂

I did have a go on a plastic lightning stu has, but back then I was so anti plastic stocks I dismissed everything about the gun and called it every name under the sun. Now I own a Remington express (plastic stock) which I'll say is awful out the box, but drop a timbum kit in and a few tins off pellets for it to settle in and it's easily more accurate than the supersport. Plus the stock is ridiculously long as I'm like a gibbon in the arms. 

Your boys doing well to group like that, it's bursting your bubble a bit but what about a pcp? older bsa ultra? Cheap pump and scope with gun should come under £300 which I know is way over your budget. See them for sale occasionally on other sites (bbs) dirt cheap

This may sound a bit stupid but he was originally looking for something along the lines of a Red Ryder or Daisy as I already have a pcp BSA. The laws are such over here that anything that produces over a joule is considered a firearm and therefore needs to go on a FAC.When I found that out I thought I would be much better getting him his own air rifle,possibly a junior version and it has sort of snowballed from there,he said he does not want a pcp as he does not want the hassle of filling bottles or getting me to do it. I still think if there was a Red Ryder at the end of the bed on Chretmas morning it would be fine but he is getting up a bit,shoots a 12 bore sxs and has done for a few years now so the bb gun would have a limited time of enjoyment although his younger brother would take it off his hands very quickly.

He spotted me looking at the web sites earlier so knows what is hopefully coming along but knows there is no chance of it being here for Christmas. His birthday is the week before,I have a few things for that but the air gun is causing me problems.

If I thought the BSA Comet Evo would group 1" at 25m I would be interested but would prefer something wooden stocked if at all possible.

Thanks again for everyone who took the time to reply and look up guns for sale for me.

One last question!!

Has anyone any experience with a Remington Express Compact?I think I can get one fairly easily in .22 and brand new but don't want to jump on it just because it is accessible if it is not a good gun for my son.

Thanks again.

I have the Remington express xp. That's the plastic stocked version with a silencer. I highly rate it, honestly I do. But not standard. I'll explain. 

Mine I think was £150 with a crappy 4x32 gamo scope on it, sold the scope straight away on ebay for £25 😂 as I had issues of it grouping like a shotgun at 20 yards. I tried a few different pellets and still no good, also it was a little twangy. I decided to stick with it as I was on another forum about Chinese guns (now closed) as its pretty much a smk but better finished, and decided to fiddle with it as those guys on that forum were getting good results. I put in a tbt kit from ebay, kept the original spring, polished a few bits and chucked a few hundred pellets through. Twang gone and just a smooth shunt (tho after 3 years I've got to strip it as I noticed a small twang 2 weeks ago, need to re molly it). Thing is I was watching the groups getting tighter, which might of been down to practice and re learning the hold needed on a springer after using cf/rf+shotguns more. In the end I was getting 1/2'' at 25 yards, with a old zero option 4x40 scope and jsb exact jumbo 5.1s. Just messing about, ill be smacking shotgun carts at 50 yards freehold most of the time. Coke cans at 70. The silencer is pretty good tho it's ugly as a pig, most people cut it off as its hot melted onto the gun, you can get it off but it's a right pig of a job, buy I wouldn't bother, it's a good cocking aid and works quite well imo. Triggers carp, but you get used to it. 

If you don't mind shoving a few hundred pellets down range first to bed it in (and they do need bedding in ((also a good clean as they are shipped with loads grease on them)) I think they are a smashing bit of kit for the money. **** knows how many pigeons I've had with it, and had some shots I would of been equally as pleased with doing with my fx pcp. 

Mine puts out a tiny bit over 11ftlb. 

Hope this helps. 

Matt

So now all the places, bar one, I thought I could source an express say they are out of stock.

There are a lot of Remington vermin hunters on offer,they seem to have a good review.

The final final question is would you get a .22 or .177?

Thanks in advance. 

Gavin.