Plant a tree to celebrate the Queen’s 70yrs on the throne

blackbird

We are all being encouraged next year to celebrate the queens 70yrs anniversary  on the throne by planting a tree 🌲 what is the point when a vast proportion of the country will pay somebody to cut down a perfectly healthy tree then put it up in their living rooms, put a few bobbles on it & lights then two weeks later take it down the tip to fill a landfill site ? Or am I missing something?

Edited by blackbird

24 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Yes excellent point as thousands upon thousands from now on work from home & still will after this virus  ( do we need HS2 )???

Hello, no I think when it is all finished the cost will be millions more and just for 30 minutes off journey, only the MPs will afford the fare

5 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

Sounds like a good shoot. I’ve planted best part of 500 trees over the last few years, mainly native species as whips in hedges etc. 

Thankyou, it is. It’s very informal over around 300 acres, and we only put down about 125 ex layers each season ( not this year however ) but there are several other shoots nearby. 
It isn’t keepered, however three of us do the feeding. You can use any type of shotgun you like, and we shoot around a doz birds tops ( I think our highest bag was 23 ) each time consisting of pheasant, partridge, mallard, woodcock, rabbit and the odd snipe and pigeon. 

It could be much better than it is but we just don’t have the time and it’s a working farm.

The craic is brilliant and I enjoy it more than my driven syndicate days if truth were told. 

35 minutes ago, Scully said:

We planted 2000 saplings and double fenced them on our rough shoot around five years ago; all hedgerow varieties such as hawthorn, hazel, blackthorn and crab apple. They are thriving. 
We plan to plant a further 2000 this coming spring. 

Perfect, and the satisfaction of seeing them come to maturity 

17 minutes ago, Scully said:

Thankyou, it is. It’s very informal over around 300 acres, and we only put down about 125 ex layers each season ( not this year however ) but there are several other shoots nearby. 
It isn’t keepered, however three of us do the feeding. You can use any type of shotgun you like, and we shoot around a doz birds tops ( I think our highest bag was 23 ) each time consisting of pheasant, partridge, mallard, woodcock, rabbit and the odd snipe and pigeon. 

It could be much better than it is but we just don’t have the time and it’s a working farm.

The craic is brilliant and I enjoy it more than my driven syndicate days if truth were told. 

That’s the type of shoot that makes real sense. The friendships and excuse for getting out is what it’s all about in my mind and to replenish the countryside with trees will pay dividends l

Just over 25yrs ago I planted 3800 poplars on 10 acres of small fields I had where we really could not do much else. I planted poplars because I wanted to see awood before I departed this world.  They are now over 80ft high and I have thinned out about 50% and have thousands of ash oak cherry maple growing wild.  I also planted some white poplar and willow in wet areas .  I then planted patches of firs of different kinds and two or three blocks of laurel and the birds love these and I have about 50 pheasants come in every night to roost.  I underplanted 450 hazels which I am now starting to coppice.  Owning just as small 10 acre wood is a joy and I think you appreciate the seasons more in a wood than anywhere.    I have some spare walnuts which are already marked for one of our forum members, these are wild grown from walnuts dropped by crows/magpies or buried by a lucky to be alive squirrel which are very rare here.  I plan to plant a hundred or more firs this winter/spring under the poplars.

Hard to believe those poplars alongside the cabin are only 25yrs old.  The red oak is one grown from some acorns i brought back from a trip to Maine, USA and they light up the wood every autumn.

010.jpg

011.jpg

As quite a few know on here, I don't actually 'plant' trees myself, apart from a few in the past, but I have grown well over 1200 saplings in the past 16 years and passed them on for others to plant out. I've got approx 300 Acorns in containers now, that I 'planted' earlier this year, plus Beech, Horse Chestnut, Sweet Chestnut, American Red Oak and Walnut. These will be handed out next year.