dentures

Saltings

had dentures at fifteen playing hurley  top 6 front   or         maby talking when i should be listening  lol    😇   nothing else until  

chemo 2010 for hotckins  limpkoma    teeth crumble like biscuits    lockdown six  crumbled to gum level  all others following  in the last 4 weeks all removed as crumbling above the gum below the gum rock solid  the dental practice are passionate about what they do i have done work for them in the past they are first class  guys  and gals very passionate about what they do            now gumming my  food            2k for  two   posts on the bottom jaw private    2.4k for top and bottom nashers       flexible acrylic  nashers  to cope with posts     had cobalt chrome in the past 6 ivorys    my concern   do i pay the xtra  for cobalt chrome  or will the flexible nashers last         i have always had cobalt chrome as much thinner than acrylics and less invasive   and dont crack            they have done me standard acrylics so i can eat minus teeth as cast before extraction  way thicker than chrome cobalt not brilliant but workable while healing                        flexible acrylic   or pay extra for chrome cobalt  not cheap or dearer  when the time comes  dont care about the bling smile     not vain  dont care         i  just want to eat good food home grown food  kill it cook it eat it  i cant ask my kids to chew bambi for me   lol             all i want  is       eat and be comfortable       and last for a few years   any advise welcome   i have squirreled the money away for posts   already      its down to the chewie bits  help needed thanks

I am just over80yrs of age and have had a full set, top and botom since I was 19yrs old. Just standard sets.  I have just about worn the second set out but they still do the job.

Therefore have no knowledge of what you speak. All I can say is that in those 61yrs I have had absolutely no problem eating anything in fact it was a good move.

21 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I am just over80yrs of age and have had a full set, top and botom since I was 19yrs old. Just standard sets.  I have just about worn the second set out but they still do the job.

Therefore have no knowledge of what you speak. All I can say is that in those 61yrs I have had absolutely no problem eating anything in fact it was a good move.

AND, in all of this lockdown business, you can 'post em in'  should you get toothache ,   win, win,  !       :lol:

Had all my teeth out 50 plus years I could eat anything with them out ever chew whelks with my gums this pair of dentures are just normal ones can eat anything but can’t taste it so much as with them out.

PS I went 10 years before I could get used to them it was like having a load of crockery in my mouth  

• 4 weeks later...
On 30/11/2020 at 11:07, snow white said:

Had all my teeth out 50 plus years I could eat anything with them out ever chew whelks with my gums this pair of dentures are just normal ones can eat anything but can’t taste it so much as with them out.

PS I went 10 years before I could get used to them it was like having a load of crockery in my mouth  

ok over x mas and a few weeks healing  top doing just about ok stews  fish and chips curries   etc          bottoms        hell i cant crack a nut  not to mention chewing anything    its a mouth full of crockery  as described    i could chew a bag of spanners easier than broth      i like good food   from anywhere   i cant eat soup with the bottom set in       not a perfect set as cast before extraction   i just dont want to spend 2k for two posts with magnets on for bottom set and 2.4 k for top and bottom flexible dentures  and still keep the bottom set for weddings and funerals     pictures      otherwise in a drawer      all that money and cant eat a steak   or a bacon sarnie  or anything fried or roasted   breakfast batch  all trimmings etc    am  i  and others destoned to stews   baby food             anyone had posts and magnets   is it wort 4+k to eat a bacon sarni or any chewable food without drama   or do i get the kids to chew before i gum lol                 or have a top set and be done      and enjoy what i  can                          save the dollar take the mrs out  spend the dollar for not me  but my mrs and four kids come first  every day   i dont care about my vanity  im a brick outhouse   i dont care  can i eat properly     or treat mrs and4  kids  to a slap up meal  vanity  dont rattle my cage   but i want them  to enjoy everything 

Edited by Saltings

I’ve had a full sets since 1975. My problem is a high roof to my mouth which, on certain bites, would cause the top plate to split. I searched and found a dental lab where the owner has done additional qualifications and can fit dentures. This gives him greater control over fit and design. The top plate now has a metal centre piece and no longer splits and the fit was fine tuned throughout the manufacture process. For me a far better result than when using a dentist.

Edited by Bobba

1 hour ago, team tractor said:

I didn’t realise how lucky a lot of people are like my parents having their teeth still at 70 . 

At the moment I have still got all mine at 73 , when I say all mine I should have said , the ones that are still in my mouth are all mine , since my last dentist appointment way back last February I have pulled two out that became loose , part of the aging progress and getting long in the tooth :lol:

7 minutes ago, Rim Fire said:

I am in the middle of getting implants fitted i had my jaw drilled in September with  11 stitches in gums i got a 50 minute appointment in January then final fitting in February

I would be interested to know how you get on with that, my dentist is suggesting implants

19 hours ago, marsh man said:

At the moment I have still got all mine at 73 , when I say all mine I should have said , the ones that are still in my mouth are all mine , since my last dentist appointment way back last February I have pulled two out that became loose , part of the aging progress and getting long in the tooth :lol:

I have so much to look forward to 🤣

A useful little trick if dentures rub; identify the sore spot and pick up a little flour on a cocktail stick or similar. Place a little flour on the spot, and immediately seat the denture. Remove it and there'll be a little white mark where the sore spot is; this can be adjusted with a small file, Dremel or similar. 
As ever; beware ulcers in the floor of mouth and especially on the side of the tongue, particularly in those who like a drink and a fag. These need assessing quickly, ideally by a dentist. Any ulcer that lasts more than six weeks needs checking out.

I think your dentist is proposing for you  to have mini implants. If you had an existing set of dentures they could be used as part of that procedure but as you have lost additional teeth it is not an option.

Dentistry is no different to other sectors in that you pay more for brands that spend money on marketing, premium brand for flexible dentures is Valplast but an alternative may be 40% cheaper and do the same thing ie Sunshine but depends on what the dentist is trained in.

Flexible acrylic dentures are a private option and hold to the gums better and hence you will have fewer problems with consuming a varied diet and therefore you require only 2  mini implants to retain when other dentures may require 4 mini implants. You will pay more for the flexible denture but save on the surgical in requiring only 2 mini implants.

I have heard from patients that flexible dentures are life changing so to add mini implants  with a flexible dentures it should be great and good value as it should last for 10yrs + 

You should be able to bag interest free credit as most provide it now

( not a dentist but work on the commercial side) 

9 hours ago, Woodbepigeonshooter said:

I think your dentist is proposing for you  to have mini implants. If you had an existing set of dentures they could be used as part of that procedure but as you have lost additional teeth it is not an option.

Dentistry is no different to other sectors in that you pay more for brands that spend money on marketing, premium brand for flexible dentures is Valplast but an alternative may be 40% cheaper and do the same thing ie Sunshine but depends on what the dentist is trained in.

Flexible acrylic dentures are a private option and hold to the gums better and hence you will have fewer problems with consuming a varied diet and therefore you require only 2  mini implants to retain when other dentures may require 4 mini implants. You will pay more for the flexible denture but save on the surgical in requiring only 2 mini implants.

I have heard from patients that flexible dentures are life changing so to add mini implants  with a flexible dentures it should be great and good value as it should last for 10yrs + 

You should be able to bag interest free credit as most provide it now

( not a dentist but work on the commercial side) 

This is exactly  what i an having