stock repair / replacement

big bad lindz

Stocks are repaitable and/or for some guns machine made "off the peg" replacement factory stocks may be available. Although it may still need to be "headed up" to a greater or lesser degree. Or not.

A bespoke stock made by a stocker will be horrendous in cost. If I were repairing a stock I'd drill it and then epoxy in a threaded STAINLESS steel sleeve (or other non-rusting metal such as bronze or aluminium) the entire length of the drilled hole. With an internal diameter to take the original stock bolt.

If there a stock bolt used on your Harrier over and under gun. If not the problem is if no stock bolt that you will however possible encounter is if the crack is so near the tangs that any steel bolt or other metal rod interferes with any pins or screws in that place. In which case using a hardwood dowel instead of a metal rod may instead salvage the stock. The best bet IMHO is to find an off the peg replacement factory stock if you can.

Edited by enfieldspares

All depends on where the crack is and how big it is so it may well be able to be treated in such a way as to make the gun safe to use with little prospect of further trouble . There are people who glue badly broken and cracked stocks and make an excellent job of hiding the fact  .But knowing the force that recoil can create I personally would not do it , want to shoot one or recommend anyone to do so .

Thanks for the comments.

Sorry at the moment I am unable to take any decent photos of the crack but I think it may be beyond repair.

I have and still am looking for replacement stocks but so far cant find anything in the UK only from the states so far at +$300 and shipping so I think that money would be better going to a new or nearly new replacement gun.