My pen turning hobby continues.....

Miroku_Dave

Hi All, 

Since getting my lathe my pen turning hobby has turned in to an obsession as these things tend to do. I haven't made a knife for weeks! With Christmas round the corner suddenly everyone wants some pens so its been a few busy evenings and weekends. 

I've just had a knee op to keep me on the road for a few more years, Apparently spending spending 25 years (so far) in the Army has given me the knees of a 70 year old! But im just about managing to stand behind the workbench for an hour or so a night now. 

Hope you like em! There's even a few antler ones to keep Ditchman happy 

7.jpg

3.jpg

8.jpg

1.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

5.jpg

35 minutes ago, hawkeye said:

I have a bolt action one that my mate gave me a few xmas ago but now needs a refill,

and i am having trouble getting one none of the shops round here seem to sell them...

There are two types of bolt action pen and I have made and sold both.

One is a Parker type refill and the other, smaller pen, takes a short, thin refill at 67mm long.

The latter are very difficult to find as they come from the USA.

I have a eleven in stock.

They are £2 each plus postage, if they are the type.

21 hours ago, moondoggy said:

There are two types of bolt action pen and I have made and sold both.

One is a Parker type refill and the other, smaller pen, takes a short, thin refill at 67mm long.

The latter are very difficult to find as they come from the USA.

I have a eleven in stock.

They are £2 each plus postage, if they are the type.

Hi Moondoggy checked the size and mine are like the parker and 4'' long can i buy 2 please let me know by PM how you want paying..

cheers Mike

7 hours ago, hawkeye said:

Hi Moondoggy checked the size and mine are like the parker and 4'' long can i buy 2 please let me know by PM how you want paying..

cheers Mike

Hi Mike,

The refills that your pen takes are standard Parker refills that are available anywhere. Pack of six on Amazon for £10.28 delivered. Might be cheaper and easier for you to order from there.

Cheers,

Paul

No probs guess ill have to pick your brains then, I've done a bit of woodturning and still have my gear i bought a pen mandrel years ago bit never used it. What do you use to get the finish on the pens I have watched a bit of YouTube bit most are foreign cheers

2 hours ago, jason g said:

No probs guess ill have to pick your brains then, I've done a bit of woodturning and still have my gear i bought a pen mandrel years ago bit never used it. What do you use to get the finish on the pens I have watched a bit of YouTube bit most are foreign cheers

I do some CA finishes but have had mixed results, some are amazing and others crack quite easily. Ive started using melamine, theres loads of vids on youtube how to apply it. 

My trick is sanding. People say theres no point sanding much more than 600 but i sand up to 1200, i then heat the wood to raise the grain and sand again and I get amazing finishes. 

Happy to talk you through anything you need help with mate