Bird sightings

30-6

30 minutes ago, aldivalloch said:

Blackbird for me - I think it was the first bird I ever noticed and recognised, probably because one nested in a tree in our garden every year.

I had a much wider variety of birds to watch when I lived further south - paricularly liked dippers, the tit family (especially long-tails), and at one time a capercaillie was a regular visitor to our hens.

Nowadays I content myself watching buzzards, owls and hen harriers in the countryside and sparrows, robins and wrens around the house.

Yesterday a female Eurasian blackcap was feeding in a tree six feet from the front window. I don't think it should be this far north!

How far north are you ? we had a blackcap a few days ago

I like to hear curlews because they remind me of my youth when they nested in the back fields.

Love to see blackbirds when at the sink washing pots,turning the leaves over to find food.

Like to see jays but not hear them!

Saw some humming birds on honeymoon in St. Lucia, facinating.

And lets not forget the humble wood pigeon, fantastic flyer, very agile especially when it has a sparrow hawk on its tail!

I do like to see Little Egrets, I usually see one or two on the local watercress beds. I was lucky enough to see a Great White Egret last winter, he/she is still seen locally if you know where to go. I saw my first water rail a few years ago and an Osprey on the local fishery at Yateley, that was an experience.

While fishing on the River Ebro we saw Little Bitterns, Storks, Hoopoes and Golden Orioles

Would like to see British released Storks, Cranes and White tailed Eagles

How do you choose 5, I've been thinking about this all day. 

1, the Robin,  I love how they turn up and watch you, waiting for something to eat, no matter whether you are gardening,  shooting, fishing.......

2, long tailed tits, when they arrive on mass in a family group

3, Kingfishers,  stunning bird but not seen regularly so they are a bonus when you spot them

4, Tawny owl, not often seen but heard, love how they call out to each other.

5, Nuthatch,  such a confident bird, appears in a flash grabs some seed and gone.

But tomorrow I could happily put a different 4 down,  Robin stays top.

Its great to see some of the less seen birds owls, king fishers and the like but the ones that make me smile are house sparrows, got a couple of loose tiles on the front of the house that they nest is and you just can't beat waking up to them in the morning especially during lock down when everything else was quiet  

6 hours ago, yates said:

It depends where I am as to my favourite sighting 

Mull/Isay-Whitetaled  Eagle, Osprey ,Barnacle Geese

Home-Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Chaffinch and Dunnock

Most hated- Sparrow Hawk

Gold finch must surely be up there. They may be common but just stunning.  I like the common wood pecker with its exuberant plumage and the way it takes liberty's with my sunflower seed feeder. Equally a robin has to be up there. One followed my wife into her car yesterday, what true characters.

Edited by oowee

Surely a lot depends on the time of year , in the Winter we see birds we don't see in the Summer and visa versa in the Summer .

One bird I often see in the depth of Winter while walking along the river wall is the Snow Bunting , these are fairly tame and the times I have seen them they were always in a smallish bunch , then there is the Avocet , these really stand out on a stormy day when the sky is dark and these stand out like a fall of snow .

In the Summer when the Swifts give a display like the Red Arrows coming down the road take some beating , really it's never ending , the more you think of it the more birds spring to mind , it would also make a difference in where you live as down our way you would have to be very lucky to see a Red Grouse in fact I would say it would be the height of impossibility :lol:  

54 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Go out in the field, wood, garden and start to put a fence up or cut a tree down and I guarantee a robin will show up. You can see why folks 100s of years ago believed the robin was the soul of a lost relative coming back to see them. 

What do you mean, 100s of years ago?

My wife absolutely believes that "our" robin is her late father!

54 minutes ago, amateur said:

What do you mean, 100s of years ago?

My wife absolutely believes that "our" robin is her late father!

My old fella always said the Robin was Nanna keeping an eye on us, whenever I see one now they still make me smile, often with a little nod or a wink, today's got some nuts as well.

On 01/12/2020 at 12:49, V8 90 said:

Pop down to Horkstow bridge over the river Ancholme, always a few down there 😉

My favourites in no particular order - 

Little Awk - blown inland by a storm back in 2003 - was almost tame 

Nuthatch

Goldcrest

Waxwing

Red kite 

Cheers. I may well have a ride over with the dog. It’s only about 40 mins from me.

22 hours ago, Mice! said:

We put up a Nyger seed feeder off ebay this year, and there have been Goldfinch's and Green pretty much constantly through the year, beautiful birds but the family barely look now because it's the norm.

Opposite with me I just find I’m spending too much time watching, can never get enough, very relaxing.