Hw110 power drop

sam triple

Been a bit concerned about the power drop off on my 110 chrono showed 10.2 ftp down from 10.8 apparently a common issue so I thought I’d try and do it myself rather than send it back to hull cartridges as some of the feedback on them hadn’t been good with some people having to send their guns back several times so found this link 

and then set about working on it ,all fairly straight forward but fiddly only stumbling block was removing cocking lever but that was overcome which released the hammer from the action, then to set about removing the anti tamper , which is a small 3 mm threaded bar with only about 1.5 mm showing above the hammer no room to get grips on it so out with the hacksaw a small slot was cut with just enough width for a screw driver to bite followed by heating upwith blow torch to burn out the thread lock , and out it came this revealed a 4mm Allen head which adjusts the power ( anti clockwise turn raises the power ) quick go on the chrono and it was up to 11.6 ftp happy at that , I put it all back together with no parts left over and all working as it should 

https://www.airgunforum.co.uk/community/index.php?threads/a-first-hand-look-inside-the-weihrauch-hw110.244341/

4CB70D63-22B1-43DB-B60A-71B1524A70B9.jpeg

54891964-A5C4-4C3E-BF39-4F7590B76737.jpeg

Pic 3 is anti tamper small threaded bar this allows access to the adjuster pic 1 , and quick test on chrono 

9E3D48ED-AD62-45CD-8D90-842B20B38B1C.jpeg

14A5AAF8-FFF6-42B3-B524-CF134F44351D.jpeg

1F936547-7926-4DCD-ACB2-376C211F236B.jpeg

Be advised that its very common in winter for pcps to drop some muzzle energy .

The colder out side temps and air pressure differences can often make a pcp drop around 0.5 - 1 fpe 

My little brocock was down to around 10.5 from a summer 11.3 at the weekend .

Be aware that if tested by plod your gun is likely to be done in a nice warm room .

2 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Be advised that its very common in winter for pcps to drop some muzzle energy .

The colder out side temps and air pressure differences can often make a pcp drop around 0.5 - 1 fpe 

My little brocock was down to around 10.5 from a summer 11.3 at the weekend .

Be aware that if tested by plod your gun is likely to be done in a nice warm room .

Would that apply to those which are regulated?

So some of the factors that may lead to energy loss in cold weather. 

Contraction of steel , leads to tighter joints and more friction .in - 

The barrel , the firing valve , the hammer spring , the reg , 

Air pressure difference between the released air in your gun expanding and the out side pressure /density .the bigger this difference the faster the air in you gun will expand into the environment pushing the pellet to higher velocities  .

Viscosity of oils and greases in the hammer spring area , firing valve  and reg .

The more sticky the oil the slower hammers etc move .

6 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

So some of the factors that may lead to energy loss in cold weather. 

Contraction of steel , leads to tighter joints and more friction .in - 

The barrel , the firing valve , the hammer spring , the reg , 

Air pressure difference between the released air in your gun expanding and the out side pressure /density .the bigger this difference the faster the air in you gun will expand into the environment pushing the pellet to higher velocities  .

Viscosity of oils and greases in the hammer spring area , firing valve  and reg .

The more sticky the oil the slower hammers etc move .

PM on way, didn't want to stop and lose what I'd already written.

11 hours ago, sam triple said:

Been a bit concerned about the power drop off on my 110 chrono showed 10.2 ftp down from 10.8 apparently a common issue so I thought I’d try and do it myself rather than send it back to hull cartridges as some of the feedback on them hadn’t been good with some people having to send their guns back several times so found this link 

and then set about working on it ,all fairly straight forward but fiddly only stumbling block was removing cocking lever but that was overcome which released the hammer from the action, then to set about removing the anti tamper , which is a small 3 mm threaded bar with only about 1.5 mm showing above the hammer no room to get grips on it so out with the hacksaw a small slot was cut with just enough width for a screw driver to bite followed by heating upwith blow torch to burn out the thread lock , and out it came this revealed a 4mm Allen head which adjusts the power ( anti clockwise turn raises the power ) quick go on the chrono and it was up to 11.6 ftp happy at that , I put it all back together with no parts left over and all working as it should 

https://www.airgunforum.co.uk/community/index.php?threads/a-first-hand-look-inside-the-weihrauch-hw110.244341/

4CB70D63-22B1-43DB-B60A-71B1524A70B9.jpeg

54891964-A5C4-4C3E-BF39-4F7590B76737.jpeg

Pic 3 is anti tamper small threaded bar this allows access to the adjuster pic 1 , and quick test on chrono 

9E3D48ED-AD62-45CD-8D90-842B20B38B1C.jpeg

14A5AAF8-FFF6-42B3-B524-CF134F44351D.jpeg

1F936547-7926-4DCD-ACB2-376C211F236B.jpeg

Superb, just check with a couple of pellets obviously. 

• 1 month later...

Hello, HW 100 Tuning do a step by step guide on the power adjustment for the 110 if you google, or the above will do for you at cost, no mention of over the limit, seems a common problem with these 110s , good job Sam, 👍 How do you like the new 110, ? , Mike on the AGF has a good reputation on air rifles, 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

48 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, HW 100 Tuning do a step by step guide on the power adjustment for the 110 if you google, or the above will do for you at cost, no mention of over the limit, seems a common problem with these 110s , good job Sam, 👍 How do you like the new 110, ? , Mike on the AGF has a good reputation on air rifles, 

Hi , the 110 is a lovely gun compact and everything is slick on it the magazine couldn’t be easy to fill ,only down side is the power drop but hopefully all sorted now 

51 minutes ago, sam triple said:

Hi , the 110 is a lovely gun compact and everything is slick on it the magazine couldn’t be easy to fill ,only down side is the power drop but hopefully all sorted now 

Hello, seems to be a problem when the 110 first came on sale, I read the later 110s had been sorted on power issue, ?

1 hour ago, sam triple said:

Let’s hope so but mines dated 2019 ! 

Hello, I was looking at another PCP in 22 to use more in motor as my other is quite short, hence my ad for a FX Cyclone, but I like the 110 due to the weight, but most seem to need  the power sorting, 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, I was looking at another PCP in 22 to use more in motor as my other is quite short, hence my ad for a FX Cyclone, but I like the 110 due to the weight, but most seem to need  the power sorting, 

I’m keeping an eye on the power to see if it drops if it does I’ll be getting rid but most people who seem to have had the problem never reported it happening again after being fixed 

1 hour ago, dessyb said:

had one for a few wks got shut and got a aa s410 .best thing i ever did,

If it plays up again I might go down that route 

Hello, it's a pity that HW did not recognise this fault or maybe they did yet still decided to bring to the market this new 110 hoping nobody would notice, look how many buyers have sent theirs  back to the UK importer, and I dare say repeated in many countries unless they decided to only send to UK those with the power problem, I have not seen any reference with USA airgun forums, ? This must be HW biggest market place as with Air Arms, even the FX new Dreamline classic I read had problems ? same with Brocock,  These top manufactures should wake up to the fact that there are a growing band of airgun users in the UK happy to buy and shoot with cheaper rifles and pistols etc myself included and the 3 manufactures mentioned may find their sales drop to a point where they will have to make sure all air weapons leaving the factories are fit for purpose, 

As Ultrastu has said, beware of the drop with winter temps.

Another big speed sap is a dirty barrel, a good clean can get back a half foot pound easily. 

I'd have been inclined to strip the reg and clean it, replace any damaged o rings and polish the mating faces of the Belleville washers along with deburring the holes in them, polish the piston they slide on, relive with moly powder and rebuild. Deburring anything with a burr or sharp edge. 

Reg set to give 11.4 with usual pellet at this time of year and see how it goes. 

Fair play getting inside and having a go yourself, nowt like seeing and learning 👍

Oldypigeonplopper, the UK market is tiny compared to the USA and rest of the world, it's why non of them make a true sub12 rifle, they're all turned down fac guns. They don't even bother sourcing a correct hammer spring but just chop coils off and take a few spring washers off the regs. If your lucky they fit thinner spring washers so at least your reg works in a fashion. Plenum chambers are far too big on most.

👍span widget

Edited by figgy

1 hour ago, figgy said:

As Ultrastu has said, beware of the drop with winter temps.

Another big speed sap is a dirty barrel, a good clean can get back a half foot pound easily. 

I'd have been inclined to strip the reg and clean it, replace any damaged o rings and polish the mating faces of the Belleville washers along with deburring the holes in them, polish the piston they slide on, relive with moly powder and rebuild. Deburring anything with a burr or sharp edge. 

Reg set to give 11.4 with usual pellet at this time of year and see how it goes. 

Fair play getting inside and having a go yourself, nowt like seeing and learning 👍

Oldypigeonplopper, the UK market is tiny compared to the USA and rest of the world, it's why non of them make a true sub12 rifle, they're all turned down fac guns. They don't even bother sourcing a correct hammer spring but just chop coils off and take a few spring washers off the regs. If your lucky they fit thinner spring washers so at least your reg works in a fashion. Plenum chambers are far too big on most.

👍span widget

Hi , it was a brand new gun bought last summer , cleaned barrel thoroughly chrono’d it after half a tin then again after a full tin power was down from 10.8 to 10.2 ,  after seeing a few reviews on Hull cartridges work on other people’s guns which wasn’t good I decided to have a go , bit daunting at first but had a few pointers from someone else who had done theirs all was good , gun was chrono’d after it and pellets had sat in a warm room for 12 hours and re chrono’d since power has stayed the same 

7 hours ago, clangerman said:

i had forgotten about this glad your sorted what a nice change from some forums who wet their self at the mention of power adjustment not one cry baby over the pics to help do it either a lesson in how forums should work large pat on the back all round i think 

Thanks very much , if it helps someone else then it’s all good