Mapplewell Field Sports Barnsley

gustav

Mapplewell Field Sports Barnsley - They re-opened on 2 or 3 December, trading as Yorkshire Field Sports Apparel.  You can find them on Facebook Marketplace.  Yes, the 01226 no. is NOT correct. The owner, Darren, has been giving out a mobile number.  I bought some AKU 'Brown boots' from them last week, mail order.  When he realised that I lived in Rotherham, he dropped them off at the house that evening on his way home.  I paid a lot less than I've seen advertised elsewhere and the service was excellent.  I will certainly go back for other kit.

The RFD who was there has moved to new premises on Manchester Road in Stocksbridge - trading as 'Fox Valley Firearms'.  He's taken over the old NatWest Bank - from the photos it looks pretty impressive.  I've never dealt with him so cannot comment. I intend to pop in before Xmas and have a look around.

Regards

Andy

Short of ammo we called into Fox Valley one day. The only visit I intend making. 

I just can't reccomend it in any way shape or form. 

Grossly overpriced, poor quality guns on display that only the drunk or blind would consider. Poor and limited choice of ammunition and so expensive it made my eyes water. 

On the plus side, its spacious, well laid out and the couple running it very friendly.

I wanted to go and have a look at this 'new' shop (Fox Valley Firearms) before Xmas and the need for a .410 cleaning kit gave me an excuse to pop along.

First impressions were clean, well laid out and quite well presented guns, accessories and equipment.  

I'm not an airgunner and so, cannot comment on that aspect of the shop.  They appeared to have quite a number and variety of shotguns and rifles varying from one or two Browning and several Beretta shotguns through to quite a few secondhand SxS and O&U guns of varying ancestry and quality.  There were also a number of new Turkish guns from makers / suppliers that I've not come across in the flesh before - Spartan Arms pump guns and Balikili(sp?) O&U and semi-autos. Quite a lot of CZ rifles, new Mauser and Tikka and a variety of lever guns, GSG, Hammerli etc. .22 autos.

There did not appear to be a great selection of ammo on the shelves - I suspect that, as a newly opened shop, they are still in the process of stocking up.

I understand that it is run by a couple. The lady was happy to chat and didn't fall into the Mrs Grumpy category who seem to populate some gunshops.

As I say, I don't know anything about them but hopefully, they will be able to make a go of it in these very difficult times.  I could be looking for a small bore shotgun early next year and I intend to a least drop back in and see what they can offer.