Shooting Coat....advice please

Humblepie

I am in the market for a decent coat that I can use for Wildfowling but also use out walking. So it must be windproof, waterproof and warm. I have an army surplus camo jacket for pigeon shooting but don’t think it will be warm enough for fowling and don’t want to be out walking in camo.

Having had a look around, there are a couple that I quite like and wondered if anyone has either of these and what their verdict was?

Thanks

Musto Highland Gore-Tex Ultra Lite

DEERHUNTER Muflon Short

Humble pie,,. I purchased the Musto ultra lite and I was soaked after a heavy shower. I exchanged it , at more cost, for the full Musto Highland 3 layer Goretex..So far, it has withstood constant,torrential ,driving rain. However, I find it does not offer any warmth or protection from  wind. I have to layer up fully underneath to try and keep warm.  Whilst I am extremely happy with the waterproofing, I find the jacket uncomfortable to wear, and a very awkward and difficult hood. Regards

Edited by benbobailey
Spelling

10 minutes ago, benbobailey said:

Humble pie,,. I purchased the Musto ultra lite and I was soaked after a heavy shower. I exchanged it , at more cost, for the full Musto Highland 3 layer Goretex..So far, it has withstood constant,torrential ,driving rain. However, I find it does not offer any warmth or protection from  wind. I have to layer up fully underneath to try and keep warm.  Whilst I am extremely happy with the waterproofing, I find the jacket uncomfortable to wear, and a very awkward and difficult hood. Regards

Thanks for the info and quite interesting. I can’t believe Musto advertise it as waterproof when it obviously isn’t. Appreciate your help and will remove that coat from the list

I have two Musto jackets and never been wet in either, and they must do some seriously good jackets as they make them for the RNLI. If a Musto jacket rains in then it should be sent back if advertised as waterproof; I’m sure they’d want to know. 

Anyhow, Country Covers make some good jackets; I can’t recall the model I have but it’s based on something similar to the SAS one they make. 
Alternatively, anything by Laksen...seriously good jackets. Mine is around 20 years old now, still toasty warm and waterproof. 

It is difficult to find a compromise and layering up under a waterproof shell jacket is the only way I can do it whether shooting, picking up or wildfowling. If I don’t need to look super smart it is an Austrian army olive green gore-tex which is less than £50. Smart is a Barbour gore-tex if it’s wet 

16 minutes ago, Scully said:

I have two Musto jackets and never been wet in either, and they must do some seriously good jackets as they make them for the RNLI. If a Musto jacket rains in then it should be sent back if advertised as waterproof; I’m sure they’d want to know. 

Anyhow, Country Covers make some good jackets; I can’t recall the model I have but it’s based on something similar to the SAS one they make. 
Alternatively, anything by Laksen...seriously good jackets. Mine is around 20 years old now, still toasty warm and waterproof. 

Thanks Scully will take a look at those as well

All the modern coats are sub standard compared to the same brand/model of 10-20 year old coats, so on the basis your going to be in the deep end of mud so if I was you look for a good second hand one and if money isn't a problem put another lightweight jacket  like a Paramo underneath your coat

6 minutes ago, aister said:

I have been using the deerhunter pro gamekeeper this season and it hasn't let me down. There has been 3 nights I have been out in serious rain and came home dry. It's a smart looking jacket as well.

Thank you I will take a look

22 minutes ago, Shearwater said:

All the modern coats are sub standard compared to the same brand/model of 10-20 year old coats, so on the basis your going to be in the deep end of mud so if I was you look for a good second hand one and if money isn't a problem put another lightweight jacket  like a Paramo underneath your coat

Thanks

3 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Country Covers now trade as Fortis.

Yes they do. I can never recall what they’re called now and when I had a look inside my jackets the labels said CC, so I’m assuming I bought them before Hugh died. 
As an aside they also make superb salopettes, and Hugh even had some flies put into mine at my request. They are made of a very tough canvas type material rather than the more usual ventile rip stop (?) material their jackets are made of, and are lined with full length covered zips and studs, and are completely waterproof and warm. 

Would recommend the deer hunter range not had any problems with the stuff i've had off them always found it to be warm windproof & smart. Currently got the seeland kraft force jacket & trousers where the coat its very good the trousers have been rubbish & sent off twice for repair.  If you are on facebook look up a company called yorkshire field sports apparel a good selection of clothing & very competitive  prices  

We had quite a bit of snow here ( Cumbrian Pennines ) overnight, and I’ve just completed a days beating in heavy snow covered ground. Stunning first thing but the day got worse with wind and rain, and big dollops of thaw dropping from branches as we scrambled over and under wind blown trees. 
I had on Fortis salopettes and a Fortis coat and the only part of me which got a bit wet was the back of my neck, which was my fault because I refuse to wear a hood. 
A mate had in a Ridgeline smock and claimed it was **** as he was soaked; he had to nip home at lunchtime for another coat. 
The day grew bitterly cold and wet to the point we only did one drive after lunch, thankfully, as it is the hardest drive I’ve ever done through almost vertical bracken up through a forest. At one point it’s a hands and knees job, clinging onto bracken to get a purchase! At the top I wait a spell to see if I’m about to have a heart attack, and if I’m still standing after a couple of minutes I carry on. 🙂

5 minutes ago, London Best said:

Was the chap in the Ridgeline wet from sweat/condensation or did the coat leak?

It leaked LB. I have no experience of Ridgeline gear, so whether they need ‘proofing’ now and then I wouldn’t know, but he was certainly wet. 

3 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

I thought you were pretty lish tho':whistling:

I’d like to think I was but I’m 61 now and even some of the youngsters shy away from that hill! 🙂

I have a 20+ year old Schoffel Ptarmigan that, when it eventually dies, I will immediately buy another - I think the "extreme" is the new equivalent.

It's an excellent coat with mine having been through thousands of blackthorn hedges, brambles +++ and is still wind and waterproof. It gets NikWaxed (tech wash and then the second TX direct wash) twice a year. 

I also have a Musto wildfowler camo GORE-TEX coat with bib & brace trousers - both of a similar age to the Schoffel - but IMHO the Schoffel is a better coat.

I have a number of Deerhunter jackets and rate them all as generally excellent. One word of advice with them though, before you part with any money fasten every zip and stud in the jacket to ensure it works. I`ve witnessed an increasing number of new Deerhunter jackets with "dead" press studs.

My brand new Mouflon had four non functional press studs on the inside wind baffle. Desperately poor quality control.