Fitness

AVB

11 hours ago, eddoakley said:

When I played rugby properly I was 16st  maybe a little either at but looking back I must have been fitter than I realised. Skip several years and try to play again and at 17st plus I started rowing (realised running and rugby were out due to knackered knees).

9 weeks, one and a half stone and never felt better. Had always hated the gym but found rowing and became competitive. At least 2 half marathons each week plus other shorter bits and all in good times. All within a couple of months.

Broken hand meant no rowing and loss of enthusiasm and never regained it.

Tried a bit but need somethjng to inspire. 

Going to use this thread as a kick start and might start an update thing.

Anyone else interested j that as motivation?

Edd

Yep I'm up for it. 

10 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

It takes a fairly decent chunks of exercise to burn off say 300 kcals. 

You can eat that in just a few mouthfuls, down in seconds. Unless people get their diet and life styles in check it’s very difficult to keep the weight off. 

Very true of course. I have simply stopped snacks for now. I'm not too concerned about the weight itself, more about how I feel and what my other stats are. I bought a set of Renpho scales. Great bit of kit (only about £30). Records many stats - Body fat, Subcutaneous fat, visceral fat (that's an important one), muscle mass, bone mass etc. Plus you can track your measurements in it as well.    

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 02/12/2020 at 16:41, AVB said:

20 calories on airbike/assault bike - 47 seconds. I hoped this would be quicker. Apparently 30 secs is an very good time. 

Respect the air bike! It is harder than you think. It's my favourite piece of cardio equipment but that's because I do a lot of heart rate work and I'm working for myself not against others. It will make a grown up cry because it will always make it look like you could have given it more 😄 Average is 20-30 cals a minute, but I don't know if that is average of all people or average of the kind of people who would get on the air bike.

5 minutes ago, ehb102 said:

Respect the air bike! It is harder than you think. It's my favourite piece of cardio equipment but that's because I do a lot of heart rate work and I'm working for myself not against others. It will make a grown up cry because it will always make it look like you could have given it more 😄 Average is 20-30 cals a minute, but I don't know if that is average of all people or average of the kind of people who would get on the air bike.

I used to fear the air bike. Now I just see it as a challenge. Does want to make me feel like vomiting though. 

On 04/12/2020 at 11:24, AVB said:

I bought a set of Renpho scales. Great bit of kit (only about £30). Records many stats - Body fat, Subcutaneous fat, visceral fat (that's an important one), muscle mass, bone mass etc. Plus you can track your measurements in it as well.    

What a stupid idea these are. Only £20 but now i have a set of numbers that are going to drive me to distraction. More to the point the age gap between me and my wife has increased by 5 years. :lol:

On 05/12/2020 at 21:57, oowee said:

What a stupid idea these are. Only £20 but now i have a set of numbers that are going to drive me to distraction. More to the point the age gap between me and my wife has increased by 5 years. 

Here are my latest stats!

5F0BB3A0-A5B7-40E0-BA7B-03F43FDD034F.png

On 04/12/2020 at 00:46, Lloyd90 said:

You can eat that in just a few mouthfuls, down in seconds. Unless people get their diet and life styles in check it’s very difficult to keep the weight off. 

absolutely right, I've started using the 'my fitness pal' app to track calories and I find I do actually monitor food intake, I also follow TeamRH on facebook, Richie is a no nonsense guy when it comes to diets, eating and fads, he's not ashamed to call out the rip off merchants and keep it simple.

As someone who did bodybuilding in the past it should be easy for me to keep on top of a diet but like most I've been choosing the lazy/easy option for food this year and now need to work a bit harder :/

I've done well. Lost let's say 9kg this time but now a 'healthy' BMI within the NHS guide (what's more the nurse said don't worry because of my frame and build) but my insulin/ diabetes issue or whatever it was has gone away. I think most of my excess weight was internal rather than external fat.  This weight loss has mainly happened through TRE, so I ate pretty much whatever I wanted but within a time restricted period. This is what worked for me and I found it really quite easy. The fact is, you will not exercise yourself thin, particularly at the age of AVB and myself. (AVB, I hope you read this).  I wish I'd have known way back what I know now.

On 08/12/2020 at 00:39, yod dropper said:

I've done well. Lost let's say 9kg this time but now a 'healthy' BMI within the NHS guide (what's more the nurse said don't worry because of my frame and build) but my insulin/ diabetes issue or whatever it was has gone away. I think most of my excess weight was internal rather than external fat.  This weight loss has mainly happened through TRE, so I ate pretty much whatever I wanted but within a time restricted period. This is what worked for me and I found it really quite easy. The fact is, you will not exercise yourself thin, particularly at the age of AVB and myself. (AVB, I hope you read this).  I wish I'd have known way back what I know now.

Absolutely. For me it’s a combination of exercise and heating healthily. Been to gym this morning, now having a protein shake, and bagel with peanut butter. Cutting out biscuits and crisps is the biggest win for me. 

This year has been interesting, people have gone one of two ways, put it on or the change in circumstances has helped them lose it, I'm the latter. I was 86kg in March and I'm down to  76.2kg now. 

The biggest change for me was getting into a routine, previously with travelling around for work, kids clubs and client entertaining, looking after myself was what I would do when everything else was done. When lockdown 1.0 happened I made a point of eating 3 proper meals each day, not drinking too much and exercising regularly. I didn't really notice my weight coming down until I dropped a trouser size, that and the number of comments I get from friends and work colleagues since.

12 stone is my limit now, keeping it here would be fine. I'm 5ft 8, 12 stone which gives me a BMI of 25.4 , 32inch waist. 

The Mrs keeps complaining I'm too thin now!!

22 hours ago, Chaz25 said:

I'm not one for the gym, but I climb and hike the hills moors and mountains of this Island its a hell of a workout but dose not feel that way as the views are awesome and so is the doing!

I think that’s why Yorkshire were beating the Aussies in the Olympic medal table a few years ago 👍

39 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

I think that’s why Yorkshire were beating the Aussies in the Olympic medal table a few years ago 👍

Y'know that could be, you go for a hike or go climbing trying to move with grace and balance because you have to, works everything but your mind is not in you body if you get my meaning, your focus is out side of it and its euphoric, its only later you feel worked over but even that oddly feels good😁

On 02/12/2020 at 19:04, oscarsdad said:

Me too - was cycling almost 100 miles a week during first lockdown, now the weather is cold and miserable struggling to do more than about 20 miles a week and eating in the dark evenings so gaining lard again 🙁

It's not easy getting out at this time of year. I've a turbo trainer set up into the garage, but anything more than about 45 minutes gets boring. 

43 minutes ago, the enigma said:

It's not easy getting out at this time of year. I've a turbo trainer set up into the garage, but anything more than about 45 minutes gets boring. 

It was being outside that kept me at it - inside static I really struggle. I have a concept 2 in my man room in front of big tv which means I can watch Netflix etc whilst rowing but still not as easy to motivate myself to do it as going out in nice countryside 

• 4 weeks later...

Put loads of old photos across social media of past holidays saying that it's great being in lockdown in **WHEREVER TOWN** but hide somewhere in the house and don't move for as long as possible and wait for a burglar to come. Then you will get a great workout killing them and getting rid of the body?

2 minutes ago, henry d said:

Put loads of old photos across social media of past holidays saying that it's great being in lockdown in **WHEREVER TOWN** but hide somewhere in the house and don't move for as long as possible and wait for a burglar to come. Then you will get a great workout killing them and getting rid of the body?

Digging the hole in cold weather is still hard on the lungs. As is dragging the body anywhere else. So any other good ideas?