Fitness

AVB

1 hour ago, AVB said:

Now that we can only train outside any tips for making it effective? Keeping warm isn’t a particular problem for me but I struggle with my breathing when the air is cold. 

I read somewhere there is a mask made of a fine copper net which gets heated on the out breath by body heat to warm the incoming air for the lungs. I have no link though.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 02/12/2020 at 16:41, AVB said:

Lockdown 1.0 wasn’t good to me so for 2.0 I was determined to keep training outside with personal trainer. Today was first day back in gym so good to check timings. 

1k run on treadmill - 5 minutes  I’m not a natural runner  

1k row - 3 min 52 secs

20 calories on airbike/assault bike - 47 seconds. I hoped this would be quicker. Apparently 30 secs is an very good time. 

body fat down to 18.7% which isn’t bad for an old **** but would like to get lower. 
Weight hasn’t changed much (lost 2.45kg) but not too worried about that. 

shoulders are limiting the amount of strength work I can do but I’m learning to work around them. 

How have others been doing? 

I lost 22kg in 2019 from weight lifting and dieting alone. No cardio.

How do you get on with the main coumpund lifts?

Losing weight with cardio isnt always great as you dont end up with as much muscle mass afterwards.

Going to be **** now lockdown as ruined it but I have a few weights around.

20 minutes ago, Pangolin said:

Losing weight with cardio isnt always great as you dont end up with as much muscle mass afterwards.

I am 58 so I have to work hard to keep the muscle mass. Shoulders are also rough so overhead presses are a struggle but apart from that I manage OK. I have a personal trainer and he varies it quite a bit but a session will normally involve 20% cardio only (running/rowing) and then also exercises that are a mix of both such as sledge pushes, farmers walks etc. It’s the cold air in the lungs that I find hardest. 

3 minutes ago, AVB said:

I am 58 so I have to work hard to keep the muscle mass. Shoulders are also rough so overhead presses are a struggle but apart from that I manage OK. I have a personal trainer and he varies it quite a bit but a session will normally involve 20% cardio only (running/rowing) and then also exercises that are a mix of both such as sledge pushes, farmers walks etc. It’s the cold air in the lungs that I find hardest. 

Im not a fan of breathing in very cold air when exercising.

27 minutes ago, Ratlegs said:

Been trying to keep fit for beating 

Sort of end up stiff in all the wrong places

Must try harder

I think the secret is to keep it up even after the season is finished. 
I do a lot of beating, and before I moved, keeping fit wasn’t a problem as it was a manual job plus I walked or cycled to work.

Now I’ve moved and gone back to self employed keeping fit isn’t as easy; work is less physical and in the darker months it’s no fun walking along pitch black country lanes with a head torch, it’s a chore. 
Just keep doing what you’re doing, but more regularly, and the stiffness will go. 

1 hour ago, AVB said:

Find a climbing frame - great for pull ups

On 05/01/2021 at 17:06, Pangolin said:

I have started tracking my food intake. For anybody doing the same there is a great app - my fitness pal - to help. You scan the barcode on the food packaging (or search for it), adjust portion size and it does the rest. 

6 minutes ago, AVB said:

there is a great app - my fitness pal - to help.

Be aware that there was (admitted) a massive data breach of (allegedly) 150 million accounts.  https://content.myfitnesspal.com/security-information/notice.html

That data is apparently now being sold on https://fortune.com/2019/02/14/hacked-myfitnesspal-data-sale-dark-web-one-year-breach/

Any shared passwords may be a risk.

3 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Be aware that there was (admitted) a massive data breach of (allegedly) 150 million accounts.  https://content.myfitnesspal.com/security-information/notice.html

That data is apparently now being sold on https://fortune.com/2019/02/14/hacked-myfitnesspal-data-sale-dark-web-one-year-breach/

Any shared passwords may be a risk.

Cheers. I use a unique password for each app. 

19 hours ago, AVB said:

I have started tracking my food intake. For anybody doing the same there is a great app - my fitness pal - to help. You scan the barcode on the food packaging (or search for it), adjust portion size and it does the rest. 

Thats what I used, MFP is great, justvwatch out when scanning barcodes as they are not always accurate.