Browning knife

Centrepin

A while ago I ordered on line from that there Wish app, - since deleted cos it only has 💩 for sale!

Imagine my surprise when this arrived today, I had forgot about it. £7 & £4 p&p

Must be worth the £11 total in anyones money, but to be fair although it's sharp it's not razor sharp, yet. It appears genuine Browning too.

20201202_185547.jpg

20201202_185716.jpg

I've just been checking the law .if the knife above just has the flipper stud on the rear of the blade that you push down on it and it opens the blade ,then that should be fine .but if that  same knife has a spring inside that helps push the blade open then it could be interpreted as automatic and that would fall under the flicknife category. 

Spring bad . No spring good .

Though the spring part maybe open to interpretation  I wouldnt chance it .

Screenshot_20201202-215451_Drive.jpg

10 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

I've just been checking the law .if the knife above just has the flipper stud on the rear of the blade that you push down on it and it opens the blade ,then that should be fine .but if that  same knife has a spring inside that helps push the blade open then it could be interpreted as automatic and that would fall under the flicknife category. 

Spring bad . No spring good .

Though the spring part maybe open to interpretation  I wouldnt chance it .

Screenshot_20201202-215451_Drive.jpg

You are quite correct, I thought the button on the knife was for one handed opening but its very stiff and needs two hands. The internal spring locks it into position. I just tried the button on the rear and its spring assisted opening and locks!

I was unaware of this, so it now will not be leaving the house. Like I said before the Wish app is 💩 and as far as I'm aware it doesn't mention "assisted" opening, I thought it was a genuine Browning clasp knife, standard. Thanks for the heads up, my SGC is worth more than a maybe.

*Note to mods or admin, it maybe better to delete this thread.

2 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Its useful info for others .there are plenty of web sites selling spring assisted opening knives and others may fall foul .id either disable the spring or trash it .

I've began disassembling and without the spring the blade will flap about. I'll find some use for it, probably use the rather nice blade for a project as its quite chunky. I'm sure one of the knife makers on here could use it for something. 

2 hours ago, figgy said:

Pull the spring out and it's just a lock knife.

Pull the spring and it can't lock, same spring.

1 hour ago, Ultrastu said:

Thats a shame as I really like the wood / carbon effect .but like u said for less than £10 its not worth any risk .

Maybe drill and fix a screw through it making it a permanent fixed blade .

Then throw it in a draw in the shed .

🤣🤣🤣Thats what will probably happen now. Make a good, er, shed knife.🤣🤣🤣

Assisted openers usually have a torsion bar holding the blade so when you push on the blade the torsion takes over. A spring knife  flick/automatic or whatever you want to call them have a spring holding the blade and a separate button /switch needs pressing to release the blade. These are illegal but assisted openers for now at least are not. But of course you need a valid reason to have one if not at home the same as any knife apart from a sub 3inch non locking pen knife. 

34 minutes ago, paulinlincs said:

Assisted openers usually have a torsion bar holding the blade so when you push on the blade the torsion takes over. A spring knife  flick/automatic or whatever you want to call them have a spring holding the blade and a separate button /switch needs pressing to release the blade. These are illegal but assisted openers for now at least are not. But of course you need a valid reason to have one if not at home the same as any knife apart from a sub 3inch non locking pen knife. 

This! They were looking at changing the law but they are still UK legal at the min and very handy.

On 02/12/2020 at 19:08, Centrepin said:

A while ago I ordered on line from that there Wish app, - since deleted cos it only has 💩 for sale!

Imagine my surprise when this arrived today, I had forgot about it. £7 & £4 p&p

Must be worth the £11 total in anyones money, but to be fair although it's sharp it's not razor sharp, yet. It appears genuine Browning too.

20201202_185547.jpg

20201202_185716.jpg

There is a lot of rubbish on wish but if you dont mind the wait you can find a lot of the ebay stuff straight from china fir a fair bit cheaper

The only time I'm likely to use it is the same as when I carry a small hatchet, machete and secateurs. Trimming back foliage to make or camouflage a hide.

I liked the aesthetics of it, sturdy blade, pocket size and I thought one handed opening by the stud on the blade. Just a useful tool, nothing more.

5 hours ago, Demonic69 said:

Could you upload some pics or it apart? I really like the knife and would like to see if I could make it legal with a bit of tinkering :)

Sorry but I've given it away to someone for Deer Stalking. He reasons the chances of a Policeman challenging him on the moors is quite remote.

20201204_153348.jpg