which gundog?

john faul

hi all i am hoping to buy a shooting companion i am no expert when it comes to gun dogs so please help me

i would like a dog for pheasants snipe,

puttin out an odd rabbit,

one thet could go decoying with me, could any of you guys please give me some pointers on which breed to go for thanks john

any other suggestions would be welcomed gratefully :good:

hey john, am in same boat myself. have 2 springers. ( not pure bred ). but if I had

half of one and half of the other i would be happy. got word of two ftch pointers (GSP) breeding in the uk

and had the pick of the litter but they didn't manage to mate this time around so I have to wait until the next time.

people do tell me that the wired haired is a hardier dog but I have seen a few short haired in action last season and this and I dont think that there would be a problem with the short haired pointer. but someone else might have a different opinion

regards ronan

Lab.

If it was just rough shooting, I'd say a Springer, but anything with "waiting", go for a lab

Good advice, I had two springers when I was younger they wore me out and since then I have had labs ... never would have a "mad" springer again if it was free :o

For a good allrounder a lab take alot of beating but watch the lines, dont get landed with a dog thats not from good working parents, try to see them if you can. Good luck.

:good: D2D

Lab.

If it was just rough shooting, I'd say a Springer, but anything with "waiting", go for a lab

Good advice, I had two springers when I was younger they wore me out and since then I have had labs ... never would have a "mad" springer again if it was free :lol:

For a good allrounder a lab take alot of beating but watch the lines, dont get landed with a dog thats not from good working parents, try to see them if you can. Good luck.

:good: D2D

thanks

:o

Hello a pointer is bigger than a lab & a good dog.I have 3 lab's bred by myself & they will hit any cover or flush from bramble's etc but admit a spaniel is the dog for such cover & have a cocker too.My lab bitch point's too & the mother did aswell a lab will work away depend's on your demand from it & how spoiled it is & think it would be an ideal start for you or the pointer if your heart's on it.

Persnally Spaniies are very nitelligent, willing and loyal and hardy dogs,..................they can bush and flush, and are just as happy sitting in a hide or pegged on a sydicate.

My advise would be to read as many books as you can befroe choosing......ascertain what you immediate use would be and indeed for you will be oing in 7-8 year time.

good luck with you decision :blink:

i feel that i must put a word in for clumber spaniels. not everyone cup of tea but you would never get a dog that is as quick learner . loyal,eager to please, steady, and allrounder out in the field as a clumber we have both a clumber and a springer . and both of us have said if we ever have to replace one of the dogs we would replace it with a other clumber

xxxx suzy

[Lab without a doudt , their born Half trained, Springers die half trained!! ]

I keep hearing this quote "born half trained" tosh.I have had gundogs since i could walk(almost)and you can not define how good a dog is going to be by its breed!

In any breed you get "wrong uns".My springer bitch had a litter of six pups,1 went to a keeper in scotland,1 went to canada,2 sniff drugs for a living and i kept 2.Out of these 2 the bitch wouldnt make a gundog if she lived to a 100 and the other one turned out fantastic.

At the moment i have a lab pup (6 month old)that is a complete nutter,if you class half trained as running off,jumping up,chewing everything in sight and generally being a fool then yes it was born half trained.

Both lab and springer have ftw aplenty in their pedigree.

most dogs you can train but every now and again you get one that is thick as a plank..