Weird food

walshie

On 04/12/2020 at 11:15, ditchman said:

thought some of the weirdest food ive heard of was that 500year old scandinavian shark..what they catch...then leave it to rot for 4 mths and dry it........looks god aweful ...apparantly it tastes like a cross between rotton chees....rotton fish....and stale urine

baarrrff

Travel man tried that in Iceland last night, he nearly puked and even the Icelandic serving girl wouldn't eat it, why do they bother if no-one will eat it? must be those long arctic nights playing havoc with their imagination!

11 minutes ago, martinj said:

Travel man tried that in Iceland last night, he nearly puked and even the Icelandic serving girl wouldn't eat it, why do they bother if no-one will eat it? must be those long arctic nights playing havoc with their imagination!

i watched a programme on them making it............some of those sharks were swimming around when Henry the 8th was on the throne.......its a vilking delicacy apparantly...

must have rotted their brains.......

47 minutes ago, JDog said:

There is a Swedish dish called Surstromming which is fermented herring. As far as I can see the 'delicacy' makes everyone who tries to eat it puke.

Ooh that reminds me!!! I tried that stuff about 20 years ago at a friend's house, she's from high society in Sweden and her parents came over to stay. Maybe I'm weird but I thought it wasn't too bad! Mind you they only told me it was pickled fermented herring after I had tried it.

15 hours ago, JDog said:

There is a Swedish dish called Surstromming which is fermented herring. As far as I can see the 'delicacy' makes everyone who tries to eat it puke.

We met this at a Swedish midsummer party (in the UK).  Cooked in a white sauce under layered potatoes.

SWMBO saw it on the buffet and thought it looked like apple cake (it did) so she took some, the first mouthful changed her mind 🤣 😂.  To be fair she swallowed and did not upchuck. 

50 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

We met this at a Swedish midsummer party (in the UK).  Cooked in a white sauce under layered potatoes.

SWMBO saw it on the buffet and thought it looked like apple cake (it did) so she took some, the first mouthful changed her mind 🤣 😂.  To be fair she swallowed and did not upchuck. 

Good girl!:good:

On 04/12/2020 at 12:06, Vince Green said:

When I was in America we often used to meet up at a place called Shoney's for breakfast. It was a serve yourself buffet and there was a big choice. The combination of things my workmates would put on their plates was weird to me.

They would get pancakes, drown them in syrup then put bacon and scrambled eggs on top

That’s a typical American way of having them.

I can make a sandwich out of any combination of the folowing

marmite

strong lancs cheese

sandwich spread

sardine and tomato paste 

marmalade

salad cream/ mayo ( but not the 2 together as that is just weird)

crisps ( not prawn cocktail )

Mature cheddar cheese

stuffing

bread sauce

canberry sauce

tom sauce

HP sauce

basically any cheese 

22 hours ago, ditchman said:

i watched a programme on them making it............some of those sharks were swimming around when Henry the 8th was on the throne.......its a vilking delicacy apparantly...

must have rotted their brains.......

It's a real shame to catch them after all those centuries just to turn them into something so foul, it's just a waste

23 hours ago, NatureBoy said:

Aint that the stuff that's illegal to open indoors as it smell so bad? Itchyboots was tucking into it on her bike channel on youtube a while back.    NB

Not allowed to be carried onboard by some airlines. Cans burst and entire planeful of passengers stark puking :D

The wife watches some junk TV which I sometimes suffer... a few weeks ago it was one of those Border Force Australia contraband shows when two Chinese women had their bags searched leading to some very weird foodstuffs being found. Several bags of chicken feet were among the items found.

Little wonder about Wuhan when it seems the Chinese people are so badly fed that some have to eat such meagre pickings as that.

On 06/12/2020 at 14:16, Diver One said:

I can make a sandwich out of any combination of the folowing

marmite

strong lancs cheese

sandwich spread

sardine and tomato paste 

marmalade

salad cream/ mayo ( but not the 2 together as that is just weird)

crisps ( not prawn cocktail )

Mature cheddar cheese

stuffing

bread sauce

canberry sauce

tom sauce

HP sauce

basically any cheese 

nothing strange there......all looks normal fayre to me .............stuffing will go with anything............like sandwich spread

On 06/12/2020 at 13:55, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Good girl!:good:

god you can be coarse sometimes..:lol:

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/12/2020 at 10:43, Spr1985 said:

My 6 year old daughter cherishes going to her nannies house for a sleepover as it means she can eat cheese and jam on toast with her grandad.....just the idea of it is weird to me.... I will not make it for her 🤣

my daughter loves this in a brevil toastie  hot      no one else in the house