Criminal firearms couple jailed

Rewulf

10 minutes ago, oowee said:

What do you reckon these deals are worth? The travel plans that the pair were talking about are pretty costly and I would not have thought the trade with just one or two firearms each trip was hugely lucrative.

Its got to be, I could only guess what modern firearms are worth on the black market, but my guess is that this little operation is just a drop in the ocean.

Im sure that someone was arguing not long back on another thread about how this sort of thing was much less serious than the market for antique weapons or re acts.

I recall a programme some years ago now where a long term investigation ended with detectives collaring a criminal gang they suspected of smuggling guns and stopped a car which turned out to have over a dozen pistols plus ammo bought in Eastern Europe. 
The detectives said they were extremely pleased they had caught them, but stated they had no idea how many guns they had smuggled in during previous trips. 

Edited by Scully
Spelling

11 minutes ago, Scully said:

I recall a programme some years ago now where a long term investigation ended with detectives collaring a criminal gang they suspected of smuggling guns and stopped a car which turned out to have over a dozen pistols plus ammo bought in Eastern Europe. 
The detectives said they were extremely pleased they had caught them, but stated they had no idea how many guns they had smuggled in during previous trips. 

Before the ban on hand guns there were lots of guns brought into the country by UK lorry drivers,

think it still goes on but in much smaller numbers and mainly by East Europeans.

I knew a bloke who twenty or so years ago perfectly legally imported antique and obsolete guns and drillings from Czech Republic he was an RFD totally legit,  he had contacts out there who he bought them off. Many had been hidden away for decades during the communist era.

Several times a year he would arrive at Dover with his car loaded down with the stuff and never ever got stopped. It just goes to show how easy it could be

Of course the people he was buying off soon realised they could get more for the guns than he was paying them and it stopped being worth while.   

Edited by Vince Green

3 hours ago, old'un said:

Yes really, unless of course you know something I dont?

3 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

Yes really

I'm sorry but you may have missed the point, you said; "think it still goes on..."

"Think" does it or does it not? What proof do you have, what proof do you have of this other than a two year old newspaper headline? That is not still going on, it occurred, what is happening now?

8 hours ago, henry d said:

I'm sorry but you may have missed the point, you said; "think it still goes on..."

"Think" does it or does it not? What proof do you have, what proof do you have of this other than a two year old newspaper headline? That is not still going on, it occurred, what is happening now?

I think you've missed it, I said no such thing. 

Most illegal guns on uk streets are blank firers or reactivated firearms, which tend to be poor quality and unreliable. Most of the serious weapons, sub machine guns and assault rifles are smuggled by Eastern European crime gangs, or that was the case until recently anyway. 

I Dont understand why your always looking to jump on people, or deny facts when an ethnicity is mentioned, the UK has many crimes predominantly carried out by White British, but just like the Rotherham scandle, if people ignore the truth for fear of being "labeled", very bad consequences can follow. 

9 hours ago, henry d said:

Of the two people I gained the reliable information from.

one retired 5 years ago and the other died a few years back.

The one who retired 5 years ago told me how the East Europeans had muscled their way into the illegal gun trade, the other who died was my cousin and a detective sergeant in the West Midlands Police.

So the reason for me saying “I think” or presume its still going on (albeit in smaller numbers) is because my source is no longer in the job, but I can see no reason why it should stop because one is retired and the other dead, that is unless you have information that would contradict them.

13 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

Yes really! 

Maybe it's not the largest problem with illegal firearms in this country, but its certainly a big part of the problem. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6534023/Eastern-European-crime-gangs-smuggling-guns-UK-warns-police-chief.html

Good post , our prisons are full of foreign national criminals 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

14 hours ago, Remimax said:

like has been said no were near long enough with only serving 4-5 years what a joke.

whats with this stupid legal system here in the uk with handing out 10 year sentence knowing full well they only do half.

why don't they just say they got 5 years.

Its a bribe  to make sure they behave in prison.

Oh yeah, I nearly forgot, and to save money too.