Squirrel problem

jamesleee123

Hi, due to a change in shifts I've found myself home alone 8 am to 11 am and I noticed my bird feeder was plauged by grey squirrels. I've only a small garden, so shooting out of the bathroom window, one foot in the bath and the rifle bag on the window sill I've accounted for 11 in 2 weeks. Number 12 is the problem, it just grabs a nut and jumps back on the fence, not giving me either a definite kill shot or a safe backstop. Any ideas to make it stay still for long enough to get a head shot, I tried scattering nuts on the floor but same scenario. Any advice much appreciated, the bird numbers gave almost doubled since I started shooting. Cheers.

Half a nut superglued downs d no other feed just for an hour or so to see if it presents itself?Β ....but peanut butter as stated prevents them running off with it, I’m told it works very well with rats alsoΒ 

Edited by Spr1985

I WILL take a photo of one of my live catch traps tomorrow. I made wire mesh peanut baskets which fit behind the treadle and so all the small birds can feed but a squirrel entering and stepping on the treadle to reach the nuts is trapped.Β  I also put cages over some to stop pheasants getting inside but also a frame reducing the size of the entarnce also works.Β  Watch this space.

54 minutes ago, jamesleee123 said:

Wife and daughter home all weekend, they think they are cute fluffy things, my boy and I know better, so shooting on hold until Monday.

That's a shame,,,, roll on Monday for you and your boy 😊

You can't beat the sound of a pellet hitting a squirrel's skull πŸ‘

1 hour ago, jamesleee123 said:

Wife and daughter home all weekend, they think they are cute fluffy things, my boy and I know better, so shooting on hold until Monday.

My wife was the same, but years of education have worn her down, she woke me up this morning saying there was another squirrel on the feeder, gun out job done.

And the garden being full of songbirds is the reward.Β 

16 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I WILL take a photo of one of my live catch traps tomorrow. I made wire mesh peanut baskets which fit behind the treadle and so all the small birds can feed but a squirrel entering and stepping on the treadle to reach the nuts is trapped.Β  I also put cages over some to stop pheasants getting inside but also a frame reducing the size of the entarnce also works.Β  Watch this space.

Still watching and waiting….:hmm:

1 hour ago, old'un said:

Still watching and waiting….

Your so kind to a poor old fella.Β  Was just about to load it and saw that old photo.Β  Thattre rat has eaten so much it has fallen aleeep look.

Joking apart, I buy a sheet of expanded from B&Q.... not cheap but will last for ever. Tehn cut and bend it into a full width peanut holder that fits just at the back of the treadle ....tree rat asleep on top of the treadle.Β  Using the top half of a plastic milk carton as a funnel you can put the peanuts through the wire to fill it ip.Β  I have seven in my ten acre wood and if the 17HMR or the 22RF doesn't get them then a desire for peanuts will.

The joy is that the little birds can come and feed in total safety and they act as decoys.

If you have pheasants or moorhens then the entrance has to be restricted just enough for a tree rat to be able to get in.

Avertical piece of plywood a couple of inches off the front keeping clear of the gate would work and I am about to modify some of mine thus.Β  Plenty of room still for Mr Squidge to enter at the sides.

Edited by Walker570

A greatΒ offer from Fisheruk ,Β Also tryΒ putting a walnut and hazelnut in mesh birdfeeder along with peanuts and sunflower seeds & shoot it!

There is an expression round here that it only takes 10% of your time to get 90% of the grey squirrels, however it takes 90% of your time to get the remaining 10%!Β Β Its survival of the fittest and you are now dealing with the clever one.Β Β Keep going, you will get it one way or another.

If you have shot 11 already, it sounds like your house is β€˜squirrel heaven’, so they will be back.Β 

By the way, woodpeckers and nuthatches are my two favourite birds. Keep it up.