Squirrel problem

jamesleee123

I've had another earlier off the bird feeder, with one seen next door as well, nothing all year then 4 in a month,  they keep falling off!!

Funny thing was it was perched at the top of the metal stand,  and the wife said 'knock it off' then went 'I didn't mean it' Pfft whack.

The greys keep on coming here as well.

There weren’t too many visitors to the Lakes this weekend, so we decided to shoot the nearest wood ( one of my favourites) which is normally full of walkers climbing to a popular local viewing point. It’s not a big wood but it’s south facing and warm and no matter how many times we think we have cleared it, two weeks later we start again.

Soon after parking up at 8.30 the thermal picked up a grey climbing down a skinny holly on the other side of a dry stone wall. We separated to circle round through gaps in the wall. I crossed over the wall and picked up a full signal of another squirrel squashed flat against a tree trunk. Glasses off and binos out, couldn’t spot it! Glasses on, thermal out- terrific signal of a squirrel, glasses off, binos out again- no sign of it! I eventually spotted it but it was in a completely different tree about 10 ft behind the tree I thought it was on (a common problem with thermals). Anyway, up with the .410 with subsonic cartridge and down came a medium size male. The original grey of course, completely disappeared.

We walked to the end of this bit of the wood and saw nothing. As we were chatting, I was idly scanning and picked up a faint signal on a branch 15 ft away. No need for the binos, I could see the outline of a greys back pushing itself hard into the branch. My companion circled clockwise whilst I stayed still and as he moved, the grey crabbed sideways and was a very easy shot- a younger male.

By that time,  the promised rain started in earnest, and although we continued for another hour we saw nothing but constant vertical  rain and a solitary walker, so just after 11 we went home for coffee and toast.

Not the most exciting day, but confirmed my suspicion that greys don’t like heavy rain and we should have gone home earlier!

11 minutes ago, Sciurus said:

Not the most exciting day, but confirmed my suspicion that greys don’t like heavy rain and we should have gone home earlier!

Always good to get out, two less now. I often say squirrels have more sense than me having been out before dawn when it’s blowing a gale and the squirrels decide to have a lie in! 😳🤣

51 minutes ago, Fisheruk said:

Always good to get out, two less now. I often say squirrels have more sense than me having been out before dawn when it’s blowing a gale and the squirrels decide to have a lie in! 😳🤣

I totally agree , I don’t get out before dawn in the winter, apart from it being cold, I find it hard to confirm identification until full daylight- no one wants to be known as the volunteer who shot a red! 

I get out most days, often without a gun because of the public and tourists, but it’s useful to know what’s happening and in which wood. I usually find that if I spot a grey in a certain tree, it will be there next time I take a gun. Even if I don’t get it that time, I will know where it will run and get it next time.  - I have 4 in different woods whose days are numbered....

If that fails, I send out someone with better eyesight!