Migrants on a wet, cold, windy day

Dr D

I've been biding my time for the last two weeks. Lots of pigeons had arrived. They usually don't hang around for long before heading off again. Also they come in tight flocks, some about 500 strong and are very jittery. Not great for decoying.

The weather today however was forecast to be pretty miserable with alot of wind and so it was time to execute a plan. It worked well. I started with nothing. No gadgets no decoys. Just the cover of a dike, the gun and a bag of cartridges.

The aim wasn't to decoy but to get some dead birds out to bring passersby down to a shootable height on a flightline. This is my favourite type of pigeon shooting.

The shooting was testing to say the least and the bag was a soaked through but respectable 114. Winter pigeons are the best in my opinion. A big flock sliding over your head in the wind, picking your bird, giving it lead and watching it drop half way down the field with a thump.

20201204_135647.jpg

Edited by Dr D

10 minutes ago, Dr D said:

I've been biding my time for the last two weeks. Lots of pigeons had arrived. They usually don't hang around for long before heading off again. Also they come in tight flocks, some about 500 strong and are very jittery. Not great for decoying.

The weather today however was forecast to be pretty miserable with alot of wind and so it was time to execute a plan. It worked well. I started with nothing. No gadgets no decoys. Just the cover of a dike, the gun and a bag of cartridges.

The aim wasn't to decoy but to get some dead birds out to bring passersby down to a shootable height on a flighline. This is my favourite type of pigeon shooting.

The shooting was testing to say the least and the bag was a soaked through but respectable 114. Winter pigeons are the best in my opinion. A big flock sliding over your head in the wind, picking your bird, giving it lead and watching it drop half way down the field with a thump.

20201204_135647.jpg

That would have been a red letter day on any day throughout the year , to start off with nothing and with conditions more suitable for wildfowling than pigeon shooting I recon you done really well and have made many pigeon shooters over here very envious , I know I am      MM

I have had similar outings over the years when you have a howler of a storm and there's a seemingly never ending stream of pigeons that just keep coming into the wind, as said it can be some of the best shooting you will ever have, well done in making the effort and a decent bag of pigeons. :good: