Clay shooting grounds in Yorkshire.

Rifleman22

Just found Straight Shooters website, does anyone have any experience of using the ground, it states that it is a booking ground?

Also found Swinton estate which apparently offers clay mate practice for regular shooters, near Ripon? Hopefully visiting the area in the new year and 

thought about giving them a go, if I can find out what the grounds are actually like?

Any information would be great!

Thanks!

There are loads in the area, type clay pigeon shooting grounds Yorkshire into Google maps and zoom in and out. This will show quite a few. If you say exact where your going and when for how long, it would help as most grounds only open on certain days.

Edited by figgy

On 06/12/2020 at 16:09, figgy said:

Not all grounds are cpsa affiliated so won't be listed. 

Is it a secret where in Yorkshire your visiting?

Hazel bank are not far from Ripon.

I think its short-sighted not to be affiliated to the CPSA. How do shooters find out about these venues? 

Some like Thimbleby are BASC grounds, other smaller shoots are not bothered with Cpsa, don't hold registered comps and are what you'd call straw bailers. They do ok as plenty of locals shoot them.  In my area Id think at least half the grounds are not cpsa.

I find the Cpsa website a nightmare to find the stuff I want. 

Edited by figgy

Thimbleby is a CPSA Registered shooting ground.

Just had a look and there are 21 registered or affiliated shooting grounds in Yorkshire. You can find them under the "get involved' banner at the top of the opening page.

Edited by Wylye
additional information

Just as an add on. I'm in NW Sheffield, S Yorks on the edge of the Derbyshire border. There are 3 shoots every Sunday "straw balers" within 10 mins drive of me. Further over Sheffield I'm sure there are more. Just over the Derbyshire border there are three, one a CPSA registered and two straw balers. All within 30 mins drive.

I'm sure if you give a specific location rather than Yorkshire people would be able to help more.

• 2 weeks later...

Swinton estates shooting ground is owned by Churchill’s who are based at High Wycombe and run big events such as The Worlds Sporting Clay shoot.

They shoot competition alternate  Thursdays and are very cheap ( during competition days that is) for a registered ground with excellent all round targets shot mainly up a wooded valley with a typical ‘bubbling brook’ running down it. Food is available at least on competition days and a small shop.

Quite difficult to find as down a very narrow lane from Fearby Crossroads which is just outside Masham but well worth the visit ( please ask for Mass ham when asking directions, not Mash ‘am as some bright spark will send you the wrong way!

2 hours ago, Manymissedpigeon said:

Swinton estates shooting ground is owned by Churchill’s who are based at High Wycombe and run big events such as The Worlds Sporting Clay shoot.

They shoot competition alternate  Thursdays and are very cheap ( during competition days that is) for a registered ground with excellent all round targets shot mainly up a wooded valley with a typical ‘bubbling brook’ running down it. Food is available at least on competition days and a small shop.

Quite difficult to find as down a very narrow lane from Fearby Crossroads which is just outside Masham but well worth the visit ( please ask for Mass ham when asking directions, not Mash ‘am as some bright spark will send you the wrong way!

Have shot there quite a few times if it was previously  known as Warren Ghyll until taken over by Churchill’s last year. 
Excellent ground; have had some great days out there. 

• 1 month later...

Warren Gill was where I first got into clay busting. Ann & Ross took me round a few times when I was working in the area, then after that off to the Nags Head in Pickhill for a couple of beers and a good feed. I really liked the ground then, must stop by to see what changes have been made.

4 hours ago, dwicklow said:

Warren Gill was where I first got into clay busting. Ann & Ross took me round a few times when I was working in the area, then after that off to the Nags Head in Pickhill for a couple of beers and a good feed. I really liked the ground then, must stop by to see what changes have been made.

I think Ann was going to stay involved as and when needed for corporate days and that type of thing, but whether she has I’ve no idea; we haven’t been down since August 2019 for obvious reasons. 
About 20 of us would meet up for a full English on a Saturday morning at The Buck Inn at Thornton Watlass, then go for a round of Sporting. 
The sun always seemed to be shining down there, and we had some grand days out. 
We intend to get back down again when we get the chance. 

• 2 months later...
On 01/04/2021 at 17:37, Squinting shot said:

Yorkgate in otley is a very good club. Has a good clay setup and the owners are very helpful and friendly has wc and food available. 

I can second that. I shoot Yorkgate fairly often.

It's not the flashiest of grounds and has minimum facilities, but what they do they do well and at a decent price.

The clay presentations are excellent and varied, they change on a weekly basis, and there is always something that will challenge you. The staff are friendly and attentive too.

I'm not sure if they are serving food at the present though. They closed the kitchen at the start of the pandemic. You can get a hot or cold drink and snack though.

• 4 months later...

clayshooter60@yahoo.co.uk

Hemsworth and District Clay Pigeon Club are situated just off the A638 at Hampole near Doncaster. They have no facilities other than the shooting layout, so are very cheap, but they provide some very good targets, are very friendly and very good at what they do.