Environmental 'vandal', or considerate landowner?

JohnfromUK

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

An old thread, but a new report on it. 

It is claimed (new information June 2024) that the work he carried out has reduced flooding and been very well received by the locals.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13521789/farmer-jailed-local-hero-villagers-actions-flooding-prevented.html

The thing is, people further down stream very likely won't thank him for his actions as it is likely to increase flow through the area he dredged, which will back up even more when it hits the next areas of the river that aren't as clear. Action like that needs to be coordinated by the government to ensure the entire system works.

Edited by 12gauge82

An old thread, but a new report on it. 

It is claimed (new information June 2024) that the work he carried out has reduced flooding and been very well received by the locals.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13521789/farmer-jailed-local-hero-villagers-actions-flooding-prevented.html

The environment agency is a law unto themselves.
20 years ago they prosecuted me for having a barrel of waste oil (left by a previous tenant) 2 yards away from my garage boundary, rather than just getting me to move it, they proceeded to haul me into court, 13 times !

Luckily I got legal aid to fight it, it cost the taxpayer £30,000 in legal fees, and after a plea deal I was fined £600, an absolute waste of time and money.
The best bit was, when I left the unit 10 years ago, the barrel was still there.

8 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

The thing is, people further down stream very likely won't thank him for his actions as it is likely to increase flow through the area he dredged, which will back up even more when it hits the next areas of the river that aren't as clear. Action like that needs to be coordinated by the government to ensure the entire system works.

Possibly, but if true, that isn't reported.  The Lugg eventually flows into the Wye.  Expecting the environment agency to co-ordinate anything is almost an 'oxymoron'.

10 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

The environment agency is a law unto themselves.

They are also the ones who won't prosecute the many water companies for pumping untreated sewage into the rivers for FAR FAR more than the allowed 'exceptional rainfall overspill' days.

Possibly, but if true, that isn't reported.  The Lugg eventually flows into the Wye.  Expecting the environment agency to co-ordinate anything is almost an 'oxymoron'.

They are also the ones who won't prosecute the many water companies for pumping untreated sewage into the rivers for FAR FAR more than the allowed 'exceptional rainfall overspill' days.

I'm not so sure on that, for a start it's early days and I've seen reports with many locals up in arms about it.

I think their local paper held a poll very recently and over 90% were against his actions.

1 hour ago, 12gauge82 said:

That's what I was thinking. I guess if the only reason the EA did not do the work then they have a weak argument. Probably difficult to prove a case either way for the EA I suspect. 

3 hours ago, oowee said:

That's what I was thinking. I guess if the only reason the EA did not do the work then they have a weak argument. Probably difficult to prove a case either way for the EA I suspect. 

I suspect it was quiet a complex case with the area he damaged also in a SSSI.

There is the same amount of water flowing, so it goes somewhere!!!!!

Perhaps the other areas are able to cope better or perhaps not, but as someone else mentioned, there is no word of any complaints further downstream!