"Taking the knee" .

Cranfield

The Moderators will shut this thread down if it becomes "racist", so please be sensible.

The demonstration of solidarity, that mainly started after the death of George Floyd in USA, of sports teams taking the knee before a game, seems to be getting a bit tired now.
Some players have already said this.
I don't agree with the Millwall fans who booed yesterday, but the practice is starting to lose its meaning IMO.

The players wear anti racist armbands, there are displays in the grounds and the TV has it on the screen during sports.
The fight against racism should continue, but I think its time for some other way.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched an F1 race for the first time the other week, since all this started, and to be honest felt embarrassed when they started to do it to the extent I couldn’t watch it. For some reason it makes me feel very uncomfortable, almost as if I’m to blame or am responsible for something, and I don’t like it at all.  
I certainly wouldn’t boo, as I genuinely think the issue needs addressing, but I agree, there must be a better way. 

1 minute ago, walshie said:

If someone has the right to show their support for something, others have the right to show their disapproval. 

Agree.   Very few have asked or said WHY Floyd, a known criminal, was being arrested and WHY he was fighting the police officers on the ground.   Watch a few car chases on youtube and you will see KNOWN criminals leaving the car hands out first and complying with instructions, because they know the system . Then being handcuffed and quietly led to a police car.  The colour of their skin is irrelevant.

35 minutes ago, Cranfield said:

don't agree with the Millwall fans who booed yesterday, but the practice is starting to lose its meaning IMO.

I'm not surprised they booed the kneeling,  I don't know anyone who agrees with it, I doubt the players kneeling agree with it but are probably kneeling because they are told too, and I doubt anyone wants to be the first to not take the knee.

Britain is not a racist country.  There will be some racist individuals here - and that is to be regretted and discouraged.  But we don't have a culture of racism as a country.  Just look at Parliament and Government where various minority groups are represented at high level.  People should be selected wholly on their ability to do the job well; no all female, all BAME or any other selection lists - simply the best candidate for the role.

I am not a supporter of 'taking the knee' and would not myself do it.  Everyone's life should matter equally regardless of ethnicity, colour, belief, age etc.  It is a human life.

Considering we now know what the political aims of BLM are. Defunding the police, abolishing prisons etc

I lost respect for the cause and believe a lot of genuine, but not necessarily very astute, people are being manipulated.  

The Agenda of Black Lives Matter Is Far Different From the Slogan | The Heritage Foundation

Edited by Vince Green

2 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

Britain is not a racist country.  There will be some racist individuals here - and that is to be regretted and discouraged.  But we don't have a culture of racism as a country.  Just look at Parliament and Government where various minority groups are represented at high level.  People should be selected wholly on their ability to do the job well; no all female, all BAME or any other selection lists - simply the best candidate for the role.

I am not a supporter of 'taking the knee' and would not myself do it.  Everyone's life should matter equally regardless of ethnicity, colour, belief, age etc.  It is a human life.

And don't forget the TV adverts, they have gone totally over the top in trying to appease the black and ethnic minorities, the adverts no longer represent the % makeup of the UK.

Edited by old'un

I struggle with the whole thing. I got in a bit of a scuffle on Facebook a while back because I referred to people as coloured people. I was told I should say people of colour? Who the hell makes this stuff up? It's the same words in a different order! I have an issue when things are said in a malicious manner but when someone like myself, who is absolutely not racist at all, is pulled up over something so pathetic I feel that the moaner's priorities are in the wrong place.

I wish we could all get along without having to prove anything or show anything. There are parts of the world where whites (can I say that?) have been persecuted but you don't hear much about that. So we enslaved a load of people years ago - that wasn't me and I'm not sorry. Why should I be? It's a very sad thing to happen but it's not my place to apologise because I had nothing to do with it! What's done is done.

In my opinion the only way this can move forward is by us all acting in a manner that doesn't pour salt in old wounds.

I find the whole thing racist, why do only black lives matter.

Imagine the uproar if a white lives matter thing started, after being lootrd and smashed to bits business targeted by black looters and rioters. 

I'm sick to the back teeth of all this black this black that, just get on with life and stop playing the race card as soon as your not suited.  Floyd was a criminal doing criminal things, but let's not let that get in the way of playing the racist card.

Britain is not a racist country.  There will be some racist individuals here - and that is to be regretted and discouraged.  But we don't have a culture of racism as a country.  Just look at Parliament and Government where various minority groups are represented at high level.  People should be selected wholly on their ability to do the job well; no all female, all BAME or any other selection lists - simply the best candidate for the role.

I am not a supporter of 'taking the knee' and would not myself do it.  Everyone's life should matter equally regardless of ethnicity, colour, belief, age etc.  It is a human life.

I find BLM offensive. It should be as John has posted above.

I like Dion Dublin, but saying anyone, who won't take the knee is a racist, shows that he isn't very bright. The same applies to Hamilton. It is a very narrow and simplistic stance which does not further the cause of equality. In my opinion, it just creates disharmony.

19 minutes ago, B725 said:

Apparently the BBC have made an episode  of the Vicar of Dibley  to be shown over Christmas with BLM  in it, there dosnt seem any of avoiding it, its in sport, comedy, news why the constant need to push it onto people. 

Its simple...its because they can, everyone now can have their fifteen minutes of fame, all you need is a mobile phone, do your video, plaster all over the media/internet, pull as many hits/likes as possible, you then gain more followers (sheep) and all of a sudden its in the news and whether its true or not the damage is already done.

If you tell enough people lies/half-truths, eventually some will start to believe it.

Packham/Avery are very good at it.