Dave Carrie videos

Walker570

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've watched a partridge video where he clearly swings his loaded gun through the line of guns to his right.

Him shooting birds above the guns next to him is bad manners, unless they gave him the ok. If I was paying he wouldn't be doing it.

I think he's doing good pushing the good that the game shoots bring to local areas. 

It's funny watching the faces of people who shake hands with him, he won't let go of them 🤣

I hate any videos where your subjected to music over the video. Volume down until I get sick and turn off.

Not sure I'd be happy to take the day if he was shooting and filming, plus points the shoot will put on a good day with all the best drives, wanting to showcase their shoot and what it can give you. Bad points it's the Dave Carrie show, from pre shoot meet and greet then the lunch and dinner is him talking and doing bits to camera, that would ruin the atmosphere and conversation among the guns and guests.

I wonder if the guns get a discount for having Dave and co on their day ?

Some of the best videos I've enjoyed watching are the fieldsports Britain ones. Also the fella on the weld shooting syndicate used to put his videos on here and YouTube, Powys castle iirc with Bob the dig his black lab. Some good birds good shots hit and missed and some good dog retrieved. They were enjoyable. 

Edited by figgy

Well, I didn't raise the issue of him obviously stealing birds which would have made nice shooting for his neighbours, but you have answered my question figgy about these video makers having to put ##### aweful music on them when really not needed as apart from the Carrie Appreciation Society shots of him shooting, the rest of the videos are nicely shot.  I was kindly invited to join a day of 410 shooting with him and I conveniently found I was already booked elsewhere.

2 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Can you imagine having forked out a considerable sum of money for a day of driven shooting and that burk and his film crew turn up.

Having seen how he behaves when shooting clays, I would ask for my money back.

He always gives me the impression he thinks he’s the centre of the universe.

On 06/12/2020 at 16:01, figgy said:

I've watched a partridge video where he clearly swings his loaded gun through the line of guns to his right.

Him shooting birds above the guns next to him is bad manners, unless they gave him the ok. If I was paying he wouldn't be doing it.

I think he's doing good pushing the good that the game shoots bring to local areas. 

It's funny watching the faces of people who shake hands with him, he won't let go of them 🤣

I hate any videos where your subjected to music over the video. Volume down until I get sick and turn off.

Not sure I'd be happy to take the day if he was shooting and filming, plus points the shoot will put on a good day with all the best drives, wanting to showcase their shoot and what it can give you. Bad points it's the Dave Carrie show, from pre shoot meet and greet then the lunch and dinner is him talking and doing bits to camera, that would ruin the atmosphere and conversation among the guns and guests.

I wonder if the guns get a discount for having Dave and co on their day ?

Some of the best videos I've enjoyed watching are the fieldsports Britain ones. Also the fella on the weld shooting syndicate used to put his videos on here and YouTube, Powys castle iirc with Bob the dig his black lab. Some good birds good shots hit and missed and some good dog retrieved. They were enjoyable. 

Watch the Worlaby one, he definitely takes neighbour's birds.....unless it's the camera angle. Maybe it's a trait of guns who are clearly good shots, they can't resist taking longer shots all the time.

They are well produced to be fair.

I remember those videos on here, Duffryn I think was the name. They were excellent.

I've shot clays in same comps as Dave and reffed when he's shot.  Sat and had a chat with him when shooting fitasc and waiting in between parcours, he was very talkative and good craic.  Then I've seen him not happy and having a go. No different to most people I'd say. 

It's his game shooting antics that don't look very gentlemanly sometimes.  Taking your neighboring guns birds etc 

Figgy

When you turn up and are told in no circumstances can you go to stands out of the numerical order they are set out in.

But then you see DC and his klingons rushing around all over the place in a golf buggy in order to zip round and get off to their next competition.

it all just makes me feel he's just a pain in the bum.

Duffryn and Rob. He was "The Four Ashes" on YouTube.  Really good clips and far more enjoyable than the Dave Carrie ones. Dave Carrie's ego seems to be flying as high as the pheasants in his clips, although as I don't know the man I am prepared to be corrected.

He is a very good shot, no doubt, but I reckon he'd be hard to listen to.  When he describes 200 bird shoots as affordable to the ordinary working man, I also feel he has lost his sense of reality.

Im nearly sure that the last slide of his videos used to say his videos were "guaranteed " to sell your shooting days, whereas now they read "has proven to be a successful way of selling days." Somebody's clipped his wings on that one.

Interesting to read these comments but none that I can see from anyone who has been at any of his shoots. I picked up behind him whilst he was filming one of his videos. I do not recall witnessing any of the poor behaviour referred to and indeed it has already been mentioned that it could be the camera angle. I can say that he was an excellent shot on high testing partridge, and that he behaved like a gentleman. Yes he is an outgoing character but then so are many I come into contact with. I was impressed that he promotes the work of the whole team, keepers beaters and pickers up.

I subsequently spoke to him about it at the Northen Shooting show. He was clearly passionate about promoting shooting and I sensed his frustration that more is not done in that regard.

I can only speak to my personal experience which was entirely positive.

People can only form opinions on what they see and hear.

Must be expensive for a shoot to cover his costs of travel accommodation and shoot for his team..  would have to sell some days to recoup.

Taking the average wage and cost of living, 200 bird days on big shoots are not affordable by the average work man.

Dave at kelton did you appear in the video and which shoot ?

Edited by figgy

A lot of comments not relating to my initial dislike of the terrible music which builds up to a creshendo whenever the shooting starts. Great pity because as said they are filmed beautifully. 

The last few seasons there where a series of great shooting videos , shot down south with a local syndicate and they where most enjoyable and also in some super countryside. The films covered everyhting from the beaters, stoppers to misses by some of the characters drawing comment.

In my opinion the best filmed and with the best soundtrack ( if there has to be one ) are those filmed by Jonathan M. McGee. 
I don’t mind D. Carrie films really, I just wish he would be more natural; his narration always seems laboured.

The best pigeon decoying videos are those featuring Geoff Garrod; I enjoy them immensely.
The worst in my opinion, which experience has taught me to avoid, are those featuring thingy Crow. Awful, just awful. 
I enjoy watching the Americans on their walked up ‘rooster’ shoots in Dakota and elsewhere, but only in small doses as I can’t abide the heavy rock background music and the ‘whoopin’ an’ a hollerin’. 
🙂

As I am laid up this week with a duff back I have been surfing Youtube rather too much and came across the Dave Carrie videos.   

Personally I like them and the music, it shows a part of the shooting world that I would otherwise not see.  I also like how Dave is trying his best to promote shooting.

Going off topic re the original post, two things strike me about the videos.

One, the standard team of guns is nearly always male and over 55 years old, not many young guns there but I guess that comes down to the huge cost of such days.  I do wonder where the money comes from for days that can run to £4k, but if you have it why not spend it!

Secondly, there is always a strong emphasis on tradition on the day with the attire and so on.  But then you look at Daves guns, heavily customised trap style stocks etc etc, purpose built high pheasant guns which are a million miles away from the traditional side by side that would seem more fitting.  It doesn't bother me what they shoot and good on him for pushing the boundaries with his guns but would a semi auto not be the logical conclusion of the quest for a high pheasant gun?

I shall be watching a few more this week no doubt as it's the closest I am going to get to going out!

I find it sad that it is left to people like Dave Carrie to produce shooting video's like this, when the likes of BASC and other shooting organisations supposedly spend membership money on 'state of the art media centre's' ... 

They should be trying to produce video's of this quality and getting them into platforms like Amazon Prime Video and Netflix, both of which have a number of shooting, hunting and fishing shows (mostly American).  

My friend's who don't shoot, who watched some of Carrie's video's were immediately impressed and wanted to give shooting a try as he portrayed it to them in a positive light. 

Good on him for that I say.