Dave Carrie videos

Walker570

3 hours ago, figgy said:

People can only form opinions on what they see and hear.

Must be expensive for a shoot to cover his costs of travel accommodation and shoot for his team..  would have to sell some days to recoup.

Taking the average wage and cost of living, 200 bird days on big shoots are not affordable by the average work man.

Dave at kelton did you appear in the video and which shoot ?

I appeared but briefly in the second day of Extreme Partridges Drumlanrig. I don’t recall after how many minutes but there is a great clip of one of my pale yellow labs picking a bird out of the scree.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dislike music generally in films if it is noticed. I comment upon it frequently in Sporting Videos section of this forum. I agree regards the DC videos, and also regarding his narration. 

The Hans Zimmer scores for Blue Planet 2 I found awful and made the serious sadly unwatchable. The narration from Attenborough and sound effects “squid noise etc” were frequently a distraction to the experience. This is from memory so I may have some details wrong. 

Shoots he show not for me. But still enjoy his shoot and pattern testing vids. Fella puts in the graft, tell it how it is and is prepared to stand up for and showcase Shooting. His daughter(In Bed With a Hunter) Rachel to. He show what it take to put on and shoot big days and the guns/cartridge combos to do it. Amazing shot for a fella with limited vision! Good on him! . . . . .Would like to see him on pigeons though.😉  . . . Like his business ethics to. He saw the problem/potential in and was doing eco recycling way before it was Green and trendy. . . . . Not met anyone on their game/winners in or having been involved in a competitive sport who has not got some ego. Met plenty in match fishing. Learned to use the ego against them. Used to say may a match could be lost or won in the carpark/draw que.    NB

On 08/12/2020 at 22:35, NatureBoy said:

Shoots he show not for me. But still enjoy his shoot and pattern testing vids. Fella puts in the graft, tell it how it is and is prepared to stand up for and showcase Shooting. His daughter(In Bed With a Hunter) Rachel to. He show what it take to put on and shoot big days and the guns/cartridge combos to do it. Amazing shot for a fella with limited vision! Good on him! . . . . .Would like to see him on pigeons though.😉  . . . Like his business ethics to. He saw the problem/potential in and was doing eco recycling way before it was Green and trendy. . . . . Not met anyone on their game/winners in or having been involved in a competitive sport who has not got some ego. Met plenty in match fishing. Learned to use the ego against them. Used to say may a match could be lost or won in the carpark/draw que.    NB

Only cos of your post have I just clicked that Rachel is his daughter...she is a great ambassador for shooting - when she was with Jodie Marsh almost converted her veganism. 

7 minutes ago, oscarsdad said:

Only cos of your post have I just clicked that Rachel is his daughter...she is a great ambassador for shooting - when she was with Jodie Marsh almost converted her veganism. 

Yeah both Rachel and Dave put in the effort for shooting! . . . It's a dam good documentary! Got folk talking. I still encourage folk that may be interested to view it.      NB

I personally really enjoy his videos and the music...

It gives an insight into another world of shooting, one which I would love to take part in and one which I suspect a lot of people aspire to do. I think his videos are excellently put together and filmed and let’s face it, he’s a cracking shot!

Other than his very awkward hand shakes, he is a great guy who obviously has an absolute passion for the countryside, shooting and field sports; as we all do. He is just trying to show the wider audience what the countryside and shooting is about and I respect him for doing that.

The videos are superb without doubt but maybe it's just me, a grumpy old whatsit , but I hate unecessary music, particularly when it is not in the background and it occurs in so many not just those by Carrie.  Someone jogged my memory. I could not remember and then one of you mentioned Shotaway. I really enjoy those, beautifully done.

12 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

The videos are superb without doubt but maybe it's just me, a grumpy old whatsit , but I hate unecessary music, particularly when it is not in the background and it occurs in so many not just those by Carrie.  Someone jogged my memory. I could not remember and then one of you mentioned Shotaway. I really enjoy those, beautifully done.

Can I be an equally grumpy old what’s it....turn the bloody sound off😂😂😂😂😂

I personally prefer the videos by Nick Ridley. It shows the kind of shooting a lot more people can afford without the music and shows a guy with quite an average shooting ability having his days shooting with his dogs and friends. 

My only real criticism of his videos is in my opinion I think he over-handles his dogs a bit and whistles too much.

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Some of the seated gun videos are good,he does remarkably well concidering he is in a wheel chair.

3 hours ago, Rob85 said:

I personally prefer the videos by Nick Ridley. It shows the kind of shooting a lot more people can afford without the music and shows a guy with quite an average shooting ability having his days shooting with his dogs and friends. 

My only real criticism of his videos is in my opinion I think he over-handles his dogs a bit and whistles too much.

Nick Ridley was a contributor to one of the shooting mags years ago. Had his own section on gundogs He is a pro gundog man.  Some of his cockers in the past have been very cute looking and superb in the field.

Shot away are good but the fella I think forgets he is filming and shouts and heckles. All good banter but wish he would quieten down a bit.

Edited by figgy

11 hours ago, figgy said:

Nick Ridley was a contributor to one of the shooting mags years ago. Had his own section on gundogs He is a pro gundog man.  Some of his cockers in the past have been very cute looking and superb in the field.

Shot away are good but the fella I think forgets he is filming and shouts and heckles. All good banter but wish he would quieten down a bit.

Yea nick still contributes to one or 2 of them. I remember reading when he got his first cocker and followed him learning from a field trial guy about how to train. Seems like a nice genuine guy

16 hours ago, Rob85 said:

You mean he keeps it within range of shot and under control? :lol: 

He shoots a lot of walked up (proper dog work for shooting) and unlikely most beaters or dogs on a shoot, a spaniel that is 40-60 yards away is no use at all. 

If you let them pull a bit much next thing they are pulling ahead a lot. 

Credit to Nick, he doesn't edit out his misses! Some video's he can't hit a thing, but he's a nice bloke. Wish he posted up the details of the shoots he goes on that will have people on for walked up days. 

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

You mean he keeps it within range of shot and under control?  

He shoots a lot of walked up (proper dog work for shooting) and unlikely most beaters or dogs on a shoot, a spaniel that is 40-60 yards away is no use at all. 

If you let them pull a bit much next thing they are pulling ahead a lot. 

Credit to Nick, he doesn't edit out his misses! Some video's he can't hit a thing, but he's a nice bloke. Wish he posted up the details of the shoots he goes on that will have people on for walked up days. 

No I meant I think he over handles sending them to retrieve, in a few of the videos his dog is very close to a bird and he keeps stopping the dog to direct it rather than letting it use it's own nose. Who knows maybe the weather conditions were making it hard for the dog to get a whiff of the bird. But that's just my opinion, nothing more than an observation.

As for the shoots he goes on I know they are like a roaming syndicate but I think they also have a "home" shoot. I think they do show off what our sport is about

19 hours ago, B725 said:

Some of the seated gun videos are good,he does remarkably well concidering he is in a wheel chair.

Yep, I agree and seems a very nice bloke.  He does make it look so easy, when standing on two legs I struggle.

18 hours ago, figgy said:

Do you know I like that little bit of banter aside about some local ner do well who happens to be tapping in a hedge line etc.  Seems more personal.

19 hours ago, B725 said:

8 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Yep, I agree and seems a very nice bloke.  He does make it look so easy, when standing on two legs I struggle.

I had no idea he was in a chair. Most if not all of my hide shooting is from seated. Begara seat if I think I need a swivel or a half day. Big fishing armchair if its a day session or my son will carry it😁

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Do you know I like that little bit of banter aside about some local ner do well who happens to be tapping in a hedge line etc.  Seems more personal.

Don't mind the banter, it's when he starts shouting, forgetting the microphone is on.

The comments and remarks are fine, just don't shout 😂

9 hours ago, Rob85 said:

No I meant I think he over handles sending them to retrieve, in a few of the videos his dog is very close to a bird and he keeps stopping the dog to direct it rather than letting it use it's own nose. Who knows maybe the weather conditions were making it hard for the dog to get a whiff of the bird. But that's just my opinion, nothing more than an observation.

As for the shoots he goes on I know they are like a roaming syndicate but I think they also have a "home" shoot. I think they do show off what our sport is about

Just my own observation, but a dog left to 'use it's nose' too much can just end up spooking other game and you then lose out on more chances of a shot. 

I want a dog to go out, cover as little ground as needed, pick the bird without disturbing anything else, and deliver to handly quickly, so we can carry on and shoot anything else that might be on the ground. 

A dog that sweeps up rather than picks up is fine if your on a commercial shoot or something but shooting small walked up bags and every bird can count. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/12/2020 at 16:01, figgy said:

I've watched a partridge video where he clearly swings his loaded gun through the line of guns to his right.

Him shooting birds above the guns next to him is bad manners, unless they gave him the ok. If I was paying he wouldn't be doing it.

I think he's doing good pushing the good that the game shoots bring to local areas. 

It's funny watching the faces of people who shake hands with him, he won't let go of them 🤣

I hate any videos where your subjected to music over the video. Volume down until I get sick and turn off.

Not sure I'd be happy to take the day if he was shooting and filming, plus points the shoot will put on a good day with all the best drives, wanting to showcase their shoot and what it can give you. Bad points it's the Dave Carrie show, from pre shoot meet and greet then the lunch and dinner is him talking and doing bits to camera, that would ruin the atmosphere and conversation among the guns and guests.

I wonder if the guns get a discount for having Dave and co on their day ?

Some of the best videos I've enjoyed watching are the fieldsports Britain ones. Also the fella on the weld shooting syndicate used to put his videos on here and YouTube, Powys castle iirc with Bob the dig his black lab. Some good birds good shots hit and missed and some good dog retrieved. They were enjoyable. 

I loved the videos with Rob the dog, really good.

I do like DC one despite the music the thing that's does annoy me and others have already said about it are most of his videos he talks about the the everyday man being able to shoot these but as people have said most can't afford them and also annoys me how nearly all the cars are expensive nearly new Range Rovers etc again not very affordable cars.... I would love to have a go on one or 2 of the shoots he promotes but simply can't afford them 

Always been the same I'm afraid ...the haves and the have nots.  I am a pensioner and fortunately do not have mortgage to pay but I choose how I want to spend any of my income left over from everyday expenses.  I manage to shoot between twenty and twenty five days a year full driven but restrict myself to days from 60 to an occasional 130/150 day or as this seasonI shared a 200 bird day with a friend and we had three drives each and had loads of fun loading for each other.  Sharing a day is one way of making it affordable.   I arrange a couple of days for a team of friends usually about 120 birds at estates that come up with the goods but do not sting us and we shoot ten guns which eases the cost a little.  There are ways of having an enjoyable day in some fabulous countryside and making it affordable.  Just leave those expensive willie wagging days to those with money to burn. They do not enjoy the day any more than we do.

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Always been the same I'm afraid ...the haves and the have nots.  I am a pensioner and fortunately do not have mortgage to pay but I choose how I want to spend any of my income left over from everyday expenses.  I manage to shoot between twenty and twenty five days a year full driven but restrict myself to days from 60 to an occasional 130/150 day or as this seasonI shared a 200 bird day with a friend and we had three drives each and had loads of fun loading for each other.  Sharing a day is one way of making it affordable.   I arrange a couple of days for a team of friends usually about 120 birds at estates that come up with the goods but do not sting us and we shoot ten guns which eases the cost a little.  There are ways of having an enjoyable day in some fabulous countryside and making it affordable.  Just leave those expensive willie wagging days to those with money to burn. They do not enjoy the day any more than we do.

Absolutely agree. I don’t take many days now but 60-80 head is plenty, and 120 as a luxury. Even better value muzzle loading when we have two on a peg so one is always stoked up. Depends what you are being charged per bird really as to how affordable it becomes.

I prefer to pickup these days and get as much satisfaction watching my dogs working on the big bird days as shooting them. Lost count but certainly managed thirty five plus and would have been more but for everything this year and for working. You don’t need to pul the trigger to enjoy the day out.

As I think I have alluded to in a previous post picking up with DC shooting was a far from unpleasant experience!