Multitools

grahamch

What size? Everyday key chain size or pocket or glove box car boot type of thing?

There are many and varied 

I have four or five of them. A top Gerber that hardly ever gets used, takes jigsaw blades. A leather man Micra on my keys gets used nearly everyday. A Stanley one in my 4x4 glovebox for in case its needed. Great for pulling fuses and such.

One In my shooting kit.

The multitool  Leatherman's are aimed towards whatever tasks you be using it for, camping, wiring, bomb tech etc. 

Good old Swiss army knives takes some bettering.

Edited by figgy

56 minutes ago, figgy said:

What size? Everyday key chain size or pocket or glove box car boot type of thing?

There are many and varied 

I have four or five of them. A top Gerber that hardly ever gets used, takes jigsaw blades. A leather man Micra on my keys gets used nearly everyday. A Stanley one in my 4x4 glovebox for in case its needed. Great for pulling fuses and such.

One In my shooting kit.

The multitool  Leatherman's are aimed towards whatever tasks you be using it for, camping, wiring, bomb tech etc. 

Good old Swiss army knives takes some bettering.

Mid size l guess. General use on shoot and when walking and climbing. Blade about 3 inches

Leatherman is the best. Lifetime guarantee, and priced to match. Mines at the bottom of cardigan Bay or I'd still be using it. 

Now ive a £10 jobbie from mole valley, I've cut wire with it, I've paunched a rabbit and I've unscrewed a screw with it 😂 if I lose it I don't care now, I've had it a few years. I had a gerber but it fell apart after 6 months. It just became so loose I binned it before it bit me. Should of taken it back in hindsight but it just wasn't nice in the hand like the Leatherman. 

If you want quality - Leatherman. 

You have to have the frame of mind to use and abuse the leatherman, I've had one replaced under warranty. The lifetime warranty is limited to 10 years I think.

Grahamch have s look on leatherman site and pick the one that will suit your needs best.  

For me pliers and good wire cutter along with a file. For car and similar emergency use. 

For general country type stuff a Swiss army would be nicer in the pocket.

I have several.  A few points;

• I had (and still have) one of the original Leathermans.  Well made, lasted well ....... but - and it is a HUGE but ...... the blades don't lock open.  Having had the screwdriver blade close in use - it is dangerous.  Cost me some blood and could have damaged what I was working on.  I retired it for that use and won't now use any without locking for that type of blade (i.e. blades used 'end on').
  • Unfortunately - once you have locking (and it includes the cutting/knife blades), it becomes UK illegal 'without good reason', which is a nuisance.
  • There is one 'UK friendly' Leatherman variant that does have locking, but limited blades (less knife, more tool).  A compromise.

I now have a Leatherman Charge TTi for when I have 'good reason', and just a small UK legal knife for 'everyday'.

The Victorinox ones are very well made, but rather heavy.

When I got married my mother saw loads of Denby,bed clothes,towels etc after the wedding that folk had very kindly given us.

She took pity on me and her and my Dad bought me a Leatherman as they thought I should have at least one present just for myself!!

I use it all the time,fishing,shooting,stalking and around the house.Last weekend I used it to put IKEA wardrobes together. I would hate to be without it.Great build quality,very sharp edge on the knife blades and everything just shouts out quality. 

I have a box full of these things - I have found the most useful the Leatherman juice. Its small enough to be in a pocket all the time and has just enough to be useful. If I need a proper set of pliers, a saw or a serious wire cutter then I go to the tool box. 

1 hour ago, Croohur said:

I have a Leatherman Surge with bit extender and a small penlight. Use it every single day on the farm. Only had it a few years and genuinely dont know how I got on without it. Actually I do, I was in and out of the toolshed all bloody day long..... 

Its a beast of a tool! 

Good choice! You won't regret it. I have an original Leatherman and have carried it daily for 20+ years and cannot fault it.

As an aside, the wife and I once went to Spain and I rolled up to the airport and was heading through security when the chap in front had his victorinox taken away without a word and put in their bin for destruction. A panic beset me as I edged closer realising that on my belt was my Leatherman. I placed it in the tray and stepped up. The airport official picked it up looked at it and said "is that a Leatherman?" to which I replied like a scared child "yes". "If you want to keep it, it'll have to go with checked baggage" he said.

Having checked our bags earlier we were only left with my wife's handbag, accepting no arguement from the wife I retrieved my Leatherman from this wonderful gentleman and headed like a man possessed for the baggage check realising that we were being called to the gate. Much pleading at the baggage check and a frantic race back through security with quite possibly the angriest human I've ever witnessed we had managed to hold up a plane full of holidaymakers and the wife gave me grief for most of the trip....but I kept my Leatherman!!!😁😁😁

And I'd do it again!!

12 hours ago, Applepress said:

Good choice! You won't regret it. I have an original Leatherman and have carried it daily for 20+ years and cannot fault it.

As an aside, the wife and I once went to Spain and I rolled up to the airport and was heading through security when the chap in front had his victorinox taken away without a word and put in their bin for destruction. A panic beset me as I edged closer realising that on my belt was my Leatherman. I placed it in the tray and stepped up. The airport official picked it up looked at it and said "is that a Leatherman?" to which I replied like a scared child "yes". "If you want to keep it, it'll have to go with checked baggage" he said.

Having checked our bags earlier we were only left with my wife's handbag, accepting no arguement from the wife I retrieved my Leatherman from this wonderful gentleman and headed like a man possessed for the baggage check realising that we were being called to the gate. Much pleading at the baggage check and a frantic race back through security with quite possibly the angriest human I've ever witnessed we had managed to hold up a plane full of holidaymakers and the wife gave me grief for most of the trip....but I kept my Leatherman!!!😁😁😁

And I'd do it again!!

Ha ha ha!! Brilliant. 

I had to check in a fishing rod 2 years ago after a 4 piece travel rod was deemed too dangerous to carry on. Quite what threat it posed I never worked out. I do hate you Ryanair.

14 hours ago, Applepress said:

And I'd do it again!!

I lost mine that way. But it didn’t get put in their confiscation box, it got put on top of it. Some Greek guard got himself a nice leather man that day!! 

6 minutes ago, cardigun said:

JohnfromUK,

You mentioned "lots of blood" when you once used a non-locking knife.  I use a Leatherman Wave, and the "good reason" I carry it, is to prevent "lots of blood".

Would  that work with the Police ?

It's a good question - and one to which I don't know the answer.  The rules are "UK knife law allows you to carry non-locking pocket knives with a blade length up to 3 inches (7.62 cm) without any need for a valid reason. You are allowed to carry a knife which exceeds these guidelines in public, but please remember: you then do need a good reason to carry it."

Quoted from a website.  Now there is a whole article here https://pocketmultitools.com/are-multi-tools-legal-in-the-uk/

My personal interpretation is put into practyce like this;

1. If I'm going on a shooting/fishing/gardening/DIY trip where I may need the various tools (pliers, screwdriver, knife) on my trip - then I think I have good reason.  But if I call at a cafe/services on the route - if I had it on my person (rather than being left in the car) that might not be 'good reason' at that instance.
  2. Result is that if I go anywhere I 'would not have a good reason' - I try and not have it on my person.  I do carry a small fully legal pen knife for cutting string etc.
  3. In fact, I have never been stopped/questioned.

There is a Leatherman (model EDC Rebar) that has no knife blade (scissors instead I believe) that claims to be UK legal carry.  It has the pliers, screwdrivers etc.  Doubt it has ever been 'proven' in law that it is OK for EDC, but at least you will have tried.  I have one - but in my opinion it's far from their nicest model.

Annoyingly, it isn't the knife part that is dangerous when not locked - but those bits like screwdrivers that are used 'end on'.  In my case, I was pushing quite hard on the tool to try and shift a reluctant wood screw - and it closed and caught my finger in closing and scratched the work I was doing (garage door frame I think, no great consequence) - but it was both painful and bled a while - though not serious.  It was my fault, I was aware of the risk, but it happened.  For that reason, I would always want locking attachments where they are designed to be used 'end on' and ideally non locking for those used like knives, saws where the pressure in use keeps them open.  I think you could probably customise a Leatherman to meet that - but would that make it legal?