Shotgun bore reducers

Teilky

Hi I been looking at these just out of curiosity,  has anyone ever used these? Being overbored that patterns would be good as to what I've read but unsure myself , moreover I got me wondering would a ten bore shotgun fire a 12 bore catridge , there is hardly any difference in size,  I have asked my friends but just get the look they have no idea , so anyone any experience?

Thanks andy

Kinda yea. 12 to 20 work well from all accounts, little skeeters I think they are called. I fould the pattern opened up a bit to much with the 410. I actually only wanted it for rats and ferals close range, but the **** of pulling the cart out the adapter as it expands by a millionth of a inch and no extractor to help it out (Swiss army knife screwdriver bit to hand on each shot) became to much and I sold it on. 

A couple of pictures of the Webley and Scott made .410 adapter that i bought in the seventies so that i could use my 12 to shoot bolting rabbits when ferreting. The other one is a 12 to 16 adapter that was in a load of old stock that i bought with an Eley paper case well and truly stuck.

20201206_185617.jpg

20201206_185715.jpg

20201206_185745.jpg

20201206_185653.jpg

4 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

What do you mean? I wanted a 410 for a few rats but didn't want another whole gun in my already overfilled cabinet. Which let's be honest didn't work as I got a webley 410 after anyway. 

So that would prove my point as you got a .410" to shoot .410" shells through!

But the idea of not having another gun in the cabinet was the seller. Not everybody has infinite capacity, cost and security to hold a extra gun. They do work, at close range say 20 yards. But then a 410 is a closer ranged gun anyway normally. I sold on a airgun, made the room in the cabinet, bought a webley b/a, sold that on and now just use 1oz of 7.5 if mr rat pops up. Just to make sure, best not be outgunned 😂

A 21g 9 shot 12bore cart would work much better.

The only people I know who use shotgun reducers are people who shoot sub guage comps, you shoot 12 20 28 & .410  they use inserts so they're shooting the same gun for all classes.

Edited by figgy

I used a set of 28 bore one to convince my wife a 12 bore would recoil less than her 28 bore.  
I got her to fire the some cartridges in both guns no science theory just pure recoil.  I was wrong of course and lost another discussion until she saw a pretty 20 bore and concluded it would be the best of both worlds. 😳  

This is the sort of question that gets asked on American site like doublegunshop and people will argue about for months .

As a gunsmith I have been asked this question in the past and my answer has always been that I dont know , didn't care and if you want a gun of a different bore size go and buy one . 

1 hour ago, Gunman said:

This is the sort of question that gets asked on American site like doublegunshop and people will argue about for months .

As a gunsmith I have been asked this question in the past and my answer has always been that I dont know , didn't care and if you want a gun of a different bore size go and buy one . 

👍 

In the early seventies when single barrels were more commonly used I shared an AYA cosmos 12 bore with my dad. When it was my turn we slipped the .410 adapter in . It dealt with rabbits flushed from gorse fine at normally quite close range. I still have it.

I have used Parker Hale and Webley 12/.410 reducers since the 70s in my 12 bore walkup single bbl. Harrington & Richardson, no probs, sorted pattern =clean, quiet kills to 25 yards, no noise hassle with right ammo. Also use American 12/20 and 12/28 bore ( Gaugemates) in my Lincoln o/u s, properly patterned, to 30/35 yds for different situations, on clays for fun, for starting young shots who need a lighter gun, but better pattern than .410, and 28 bore are much lighter in quantity for walk up, at least for me, old , feeble, but determined to keep shooting ! They averaged £10-15 each, last fine, and no extraction probs. Wont suit everyone but winner for me. I enjoy the negative comments from folks who haven`t tried them ..!

Good call from Konor !