Gun weight

Mightymariner

I have a Beretta Silver Pigeon with 30" barrels, it's a couple of years old and weighs in at 7lbs 8oz.

Anyway, I am finding it quite heavy and unwieldy to shoot.

I do love the Silver Pigeon though but could do with something about a pound lighter.

Would the same gun with 28" barrels be much lighter?

Or is there an alternative Silver Pigeon that would fit the bill?

If anyone has an ideas, I would be grateful.

A very rough guide is that each "inch of barrels" is about 35g so a 28 inch set would be 70g lighter at the end and you could remove 100g of wood from the stock to balance it out. Overall that might save you about 5% of the overall weight. Getting a field gun would be better, perhaps 15% lighter. Your better option would be look at something like an Ultralight which is designed ground up to be low weight whilst maintaining balance.

48 minutes ago, Mightymariner said:

I have a Beretta Silver Pigeon with 30" barrels, it's a couple of years old and weighs in at 7lbs 8oz.

Anyway, I am finding it quite heavy and unwieldy to shoot.

I do love the Silver Pigeon though but could do with something about a pound lighter.

Would the same gun with 28" barrels be much lighter?

Or is there an alternative Silver Pigeon that would fit the bill?

If anyone has an ideas, I would be grateful.

Do you know the balance point on the gun   ??  I shot a a DT11, 30" Sporter on Saturday.  I estimated it's weight to be around 8lbs., in fact it's weight is a shade over 9lbs. It was all down to the balance of the gun, which was about 3/4" behind the trunnions. A friend with a Browning 525 Sporter with 30" barrels was suffering the same symptoms as yourself, 3 ozs. of lead in the stock sorted the problem.  A lighter gun is NOT always the best solution.

Edited by Westley

Or a 20 bore? Built on a smaller action, smaller scales, a lot lighter, and you can shoot 30/32g cartridges through them, although don't see that you would need to to be honest. 

I shoot 25g 6's recently with very good effect. 

Isn't that the point of the smaller bore's? smaller size and weight? 

If I ever have to trade her in for a new one I’m not having one of those skinny dolly birds next time. I want a big strong one who can carry a pair of guns in a double bridle leather slip, together with a 250 bag of cartridges, and can chuck bags of dog food in the car all day.

I’ll wake up in a minute!

4 minutes ago, London Best said:

If I ever have to trade her in for a new one I’m not having one of those skinny dolly birds next time. I want a big strong one who can carry a pair of guns in a double bridle leather slip, together with a 250 bag of cartridges, and can chuck bags of dog food in the car all day.

I’ll wake up in a minute!

:lol: :lol: :lol: ... I hear those Eastern European ones you get online have a good work ethic. 

I was introduced to shooting by my godfather - who was an exceptional shot (mind you he got a LOT of practice) - and always used very light guns.  He had a trio of 'featherweights', a true pair and a slightly later single matched as no 3.  He had been taught by Percy Stanbury (and was a similar build being fairly tall and 'stringy') and shot a very 'classic' style with virtually straight left arm and hand well down the (I think 28") barrels. He gave me my first gun, which is a 12 and weighs 6 1/4 lbs for 28" barrels.