Fog fowling without a dog

Manish

Just wondering if any fowlers would consider this? I would like to hit the shore in the fog but don't have a dog at the moment so I'm having to mark where the bird falls then go and get it. I guess in the fog there would be a high chance of loosing the bird. 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They had this chat on facebook before. It is common sense to only shoot over what is safe and possible to find birds. Far too nice to lose. But personally you should not have to miss out just because you don't have a dog. Not every one is lucky enough to be a position to have a dog.
I shoot splashes my self so not too much of a handicap 

Edited by captainhastings

20 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Assume you are shooting them over land or is the water just very shallow and safe? 

Its on the Wash. The tide will be out but birds can land in creaks. Like I said I normally just mark where they fall then go and get them. When I get back to my hide I say good lad and give myself a rub behind the ear. 🤣

I think I'll see how bad it is in the morning. If I cant see the end of the garden I'll go back to bed

Edited by Manish

1 minute ago, London Best said:

What happens when you drop one in a large double decker bus sized deep gutter full of water. 

Luckily for me me the bit I shoot doesn't have any gutters of such magnitude. I'm very new to fowling and will be looking at getting a dog once the season is over. This is my second season but first on my own so I wanted to make sure it was for me before dragging another poor soul along with me.  

25 minutes ago, Manish said:

Do all fowlers start form the get go with a trained dog then??

I have to say though I have only come across 2 other dogless fowlers out of many  

I think most normally go out with another club member until they get their own dog, or just go places where they can pick their own birds safely. 

1 minute ago, Lloyd90 said:

or just go places where they can pick their own birds safely. 

Hey thats what I do!! My concern is hitting a bird and not killing it out right then loosing it in the fog as goes off for a little walk. I apply a good amount of common sense when im out there and pick my shots 

7 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

I think most normally go out with another club member until they get their own dog, or just go places where they can pick their own birds safely. 

It’s not the ones you kill getting lost but the runners. I can think of many such birds I have picked, some a quarter mile or more out on the mud or back in the fields that without my dog would have been left to die slowly and painfully.

1 minute ago, Dave at kelton said:

It’s not the ones you kill getting lost but the runners. I can think of many such birds I have picked, some a quarter mile or more out on the mud or back in the fields that without my dog would have been left to die slowly and painfully.

And its that I want to avoid. In good visible conditions its fine. I mark where the bird falls then walk over to get it. If its not dead I sort that out then pick up. And yes you do get them wondering off but I tend to see them then follow up on foot. Its a pain and yes a dog would make it a heck of a lot more easier. 

I think a dynamic assessment of the conditions in the morning will be needed 

4 minutes ago, Big Mat said:

I don't like going without the dog , no matter what the weather conditions. In the fog just makes it trickier, you can soon loose a goose into some of the little ankle breakers.

Point well taken Mat

23 minutes ago, Manish said:

Point well taken Mat

Another thing to help in your situation Manish IF it's a good Foggy morning stay at the bottom of the seawall/stoway or gradgebank . Several reasons why No creeks ( in general ) to worry  about Geese will be as low as they are out on the Marsh and in general you can easily move to get under the flight line. Having said all that a few days ago i shot a Pink that i could not find inspite of having two dogs. What happened i thought it had fell in water on top of the marsh ( ankle deep ) thankfully i engaged the Old grey matter quickly cut across the marsh to a creek which was flowing out started following it back to the seawall Bingo the Pink came floating up to me. Lucky yes my fault Yes as i never sent one of the Dogs when i first shot it also I'd marked it's fall wrong. Good luck with your flight if it's Foggy 

Edited by 6.5x55SE

12 minutes ago, 6.5x55SE said:

Another thing to help in your situation Manish IF it's a good Foggy morning stay at the bottom of the seawall/stoway or gradgebank . Several reasons why No creeks ( in general ) to worry  about Geese will be as low as they are out on the Marsh and in general you can easily move to get under the flight line. Having said all that a few days ago i shot a Pink that i could not find inspite of having two dogs. What happened i thought it had fell in water on top of the marsh ( ankle deep ) thankfully i engaged the Old grey matter quickly cut across the marsh to a creek which was flowing out started following it back to the seawall Bingo the Pink came floating up to me. Lucky yes my fault Yes as i never sent one of the Dogs when i first shot it also I'd marked it's fall wrong. Good luck with your flight if it's Foggy 

Super tip thanks mate. I guess I can walk out a little bit if feel the need. IF I was to head out like I would do normally how low do they come in??

Go without a dog and you are your own dog.  Stiff wing a goose and you could have a very long walk. 

Only you know your area and what you can and can't do.  I've been without my dog and it's not the same. The dog being with me and watching, being as excited as I am then retrieving a bird is worth more than the shot to me. 

Main thing be sensible with your shots and never put your life at risk for a downed bird.