Manish

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

50 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

I know from experience that a winged goose can easily outrun a man on the mud flats. It cannot however outrun a dog. 

It can't outrun a second shot when close enough 😁👍

I downed a big canada goose first season with my dog, it hit the water folded big splash, dog went in to retrieve it. The goose kept diving it was flying under water using its wings, moved quite fast underwater. Dog didn't stand a chance, called the dog in and soon as it popped up I shot it in the head,42g of gamebore BB gave a cloud of pink mist and no head at all, made carrying it tiring.

Manish .... To start with you need to consider your own safety before you venture out on the Wash by yourself , you can easily get lost and lose your bearings when the fog come down hard with very poor visibility . compass or no compass , if you cross a creek at the bottom of tide and you will need to know how long have you got before the tide start making up and cut off your crossing point .

If you happen to shoot your first goose in the fog and the bird is only winged you are going to do your best to get it , this is where mistakes are made and if the making tide cover your foot prints up you haven't got a clue where you are if the fog is thick , if you do go then like one of the members said , stick to the sea wall and you could be more successful than going well out on the salt marsh .       GOOD LUCK

2 hours ago, marsh man said:

Manish .... To start with you need to consider your own safety before you venture out on the Wash by yourself , you can easily get lost and lose your bearings when the fog come down hard with very poor visibility . compass or no compass , if you cross a creek at the bottom of tide and you will need to know how long have you got before the tide start making up and cut off your crossing point .

If you happen to shoot your first goose in the fog and the bird is only winged you are going to do your best to get it , this is where mistakes are made and if the making tide cover your foot prints up you haven't got a clue where you are if the fog is thick , if you do go then like one of the members said , stick to the sea wall and you could be more successful than going well out on the salt marsh .       GOOD LUCK

I stuck to within a hundred or so yards of the sea wall this morning. I figured if I got anything its not going to be too hard to do a retrieve looking at what was around. Didn't get anything fly over but I think leaving at 0815 was too early as I understand when in fog the geese tend to take off a little later. 

In terms of safety I fully understand the risks involved with coastal fowling hence why I check the tide table and full tide height too. I even add .5m to the high tide line. 

1 hour ago, Gerry78 said:

Yep The fowling clubs im in won’t let you join without a gun dog Wildfowling without a dog or access to a shooting partners dog is bad practice in my book 

Thats one way to make sure the sport don't grow isn't it. Im curious what makes fowling with out a dog bad practice?? I would like to think Im a responsible hunter/fowler if not having a dog is bad practice or access to one it should be highlighted in the BASC good practice guide.  

12 minutes ago, Manish said:

I stuck to within a hundred or so yards of the sea wall this morning. I figured if I got anything its not going to be too hard to do a retrieve looking at what was around. Didn't get anything fly over but I think leaving at 0815 was too early as I understand when in fog the geese tend to take off a little later. 

In terms of safety I fully understand the risks involved with coastal fowling hence why I check the tide table and full tide height too. I even add .5m to the high tide line. 

Thats one way to make sure the sport don't grow isn't it. Im curious what makes fowling with out a dog bad practice?? I would like to think Im a responsible hunter/fowler if not having a dog is bad practice or access to one it should be highlighted in the BASC good practice guide.  

Shooting wildfowl with out a dog is a sure way to stop the sport from growing you cannot be sure with your shooting wildfowl if any injured birds will run or swim away No matter how responsible you think you are To answer your question I’ve known clubs to let shooters like you’re self join without excess to a dog A lot of injured duck or as a matter of fact dead duck found by the likes of RSPB RESULTING in lose of land for clubs Your original post stated that you were gonna go fowling in fog without a dog Bad practice reading your post regarding safety and Not being able to pick birds with a competent gun dog 

58 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Do they test your dog ?

not having a go just curious 🧐 

Obviously 🙄 not but it’s up to the shooter to make sure There fowling dog is trained to a standard to safely retrieve ducks etc 

9 minutes ago, London Best said:

@Manish,     
Dog or no dog, you will not be fowling for long on The Wash if you go out on those marshes in thick fog. It can be a VERY dangerous place. In fog the sea wall is virtually the only place to be.

PS I shot on The Wash from 1965 until 1992.

It did feel like I could get into hot water hence why I sat close to the wall. What club did you fowl with back then?

I have a fair amount of navigating in crappy conditions and I also know when its unsafe to continue unless your life depended on it (ex Army (and yes I went places)).

38 minutes ago, Gerry78 said:

Shooting wildfowl with out a dog is a sure way to stop the sport from growing you cannot be sure with your shooting wildfowl if any injured birds will run or swim away No matter how responsible you think you are To answer your question I’ve known clubs to let shooters like you’re self join without excess to a dog A lot of injured duck or as a matter of fact dead duck found by the likes of RSPB RESULTING in lose of land for clubs Your original post stated that you were gonna go fowling in fog without a dog Bad practice reading your post regarding safety and Not being able to pick birds with a competent gun dog 

I suppose Id best stop wildfowling in that case until such a time that I have a dog. I do have a Jack Russell but I dont think that counts as a fowling dog.

10 minutes ago, Manish said:

It did feel like I could get into hot water hence why I sat close to the wall. What club did you fowl with back then?

I have a fair amount of navigating in crappy conditions and I also know when its unsafe to continue unless your life depended on it (ex Army (and yes I went places)).

I suppose Id best stop wildfowling in that case until such a time that I have a dog. I do have a Jack Russell but I dont think that counts as a fowling dog.

That’s up to yourself You want opinions on this forum you’ll get it If you keep going out to a marsh with heavy fog Wildfowling be last of Your worries Goodluck 👍

2 minutes ago, Gerry78 said:

That’s up to yourself You want opinions on this forum you’ll get it If you keep going out to a marsh with heavy fog Wildfowling be last of Your worries Goodluck 👍

Thank you for your concern. You must have met my other half shes starting to get cheesed off with my new found love of wildfowling. The nice thing is I can now say that you suggested I stop until I get a dog. Oh well would you like to buy some hardly used fowling kit?? 

6 minutes ago, Manish said:

Thank you for your concern. You must have met my other half shes starting to get cheesed off with my new found love of wildfowling. The nice thing is I can now say that you suggested I stop until I get a dog. Oh well would you like to buy some hardly used fowling kit?? 

You just stated that your new to wildfowling want to go to a foggy marsh with no dog Here’s  a bit of advice watch BASC video Wildfowling (safety on the marsh )it’s on YouTube not being cheeky but your lack of knowledge could get you into serious trouble 

Just now, Gerry78 said:

You just stated that your new to wildfowling want to go to a foggy marsh with no dog Here’s  a bit of advice watch BASC video Wildfowling (safety on the marsh )it’s on YouTube not being cheeky but your lack of knowledge could get you into serious trouble 

Im new to Fowling yes. But Im not new to navigating in **** conditions and operating in a marsh/tidal environment. I shall have a look at the video and see whats what. 

May I also point out the original question was about not having a dog and what would be a good idea. NOT if I should go out in fog. The advise given by the chaps that said stick to or close to the sea wall was sound and good. 

You sir are in essence telling me to stop fowling because I dont have a dedicated dog for the task. Its very helpful and like I said would you like to buy all my kit? Just got a nice browning 525 waterfowl only fired 3 shots since I got it on Saturday! 

i wouldn't  wildfowl without a dog 

for me its part of the whole experience i only shoot coastal 

the chances of losing a pricked or dead bird are greatly reduced so more ethical 

i need someone to talk too and take pictures of as there is ****** all to shoot at the moment  here 

8 minutes ago, iamspuddy said:

i wouldn't  wildfowl without a dog 

for me its part of the whole experience i only shoot coastal 

the chances of losing a pricked or dead bird are greatly reduced so more ethical 

i need someone to talk too and take pictures of as there is ****** all to shoot at the moment  here 

I know what you mean. I tend to talk to myself. All being good I shall have a dog in the spring and start training him/her/it (depending on how the dog identifies). I agree as at the moment Im passing on many shots as I would find it very hard or impossible to retrieve the bird.

Did you have a dog when you first started out??

Edited by Manish

5 minutes ago, Manish said:

Im new to Fowling yes. But Im not new to navigating in **** conditions and operating in a marsh/tidal environment. I shall have a look at the video and see whats what. 

May I also point out the original question was about not having a dog and what would be a good idea. NOT if I should go out in fog. The advise given by the chaps that said stick to or close to the sea wall was sound and good. 

You sir are in essence telling me to stop fowling because I dont have a dedicated dog for the task. Its very helpful and like I said would you like to buy all my kit? Just got a nice browning 525 waterfowl only fired 3 shots since I got it on Saturday! 

Yes your original post was regarding a dog for Wildfowling My response was that it’s bad practice to go Wildfowling without a dog That’s common knowledge among the Wildfowling community Regarding fog you just said your new to Wildfowling Shooting anywhere in fog is dangerous especially a marsh And I’m not telling you to Stop anything! Safety is paramount 

@Gerry78Well I did my first Fog flight and im still alive. Like I have stated already Im very careful about my shots until i get a dog and even then I will still be careful. I know you think I might die out there in the fog so now IF it happens you can say I told him so 🤣

4 minutes ago, Manish said:

@Gerry78Well I did my first Fog flight and im still alive. Like I have stated already Im very careful about my shots until i get a dog and even then I will still be careful. I know you think I might die out there in the fog so now IF it happens you can say I told him so 🤣

Hopefully not mate 😉when you get a dog your shooting will be even better There great company under the moon and stars 👍👍👍

8 minutes ago, Manish said:

If you're planning on dying out there, leave a marker so we can find your gear to share it out! 😂

Just now, Big Mat said:

If you're planning on dying out there, leave a marker so we can find your gear to share it out! 😂

🤣🤣Just look for the gulls with squitty bottoms I'll be tooooo spicy for them 🤣

3 minutes ago, Gerry78 said:

Hopefully not mate 😉when you get a dog your shooting will be even better There great company under the moon and stars 👍👍👍

Thats it at the moment with out a dog Im missing out on tide flighting and moon flighting. I have got the bug in a big way and the next bit thing will be a dog. Im just hopeing the lockdown prices of dogs dont stay for good. Its painful seeing good working stock dogs become just pets. 

5 minutes ago, Manish said:

🤣🤣Just look for the gulls with squitty bottoms I'll be tooooo spicy for them 🤣

Thats it at the moment with out a dog Im missing out on tide flighting and moon flighting. I have got the bug in a big way and the next bit thing will be a dog. Im just hopeing the lockdown prices of dogs dont stay for good. Its painful seeing good working stock dogs become just pets. 

Yes puppy prices are through the roof at the minute my only advice is try to buy from working stock if you can Good luck 👍👍👍

3 minutes ago, Gerry78 said:

Yes puppy prices are through the roof at the minute my only advice is try to buy from working stock if you can Good luck 👍👍👍

Im in fortunate position where a very good pal of mine is a keeper on a big estate. He had some pups this year but I wasnt in the position to take on a pup. I'll see if he has any litters planed for next year or if he knows of other keepers that might

Without being to hard on the op, he asked on his first post about going fowling in the fog , we didn't ask if he was in a club and I believe most , if not all of the Wash is operated by the various clubs around that coastline , when you first join a club you fill a form in stating your experience when it come to fowling , if you are fairly new to the sport you will have to go out with someone for a set number of times , so if the op went by himself he would have passed the requirements set out by his club . as for a dog , he will be told by his club the advantage in using a dog while fowling , but we have to accept not everyone is in a position to own a gundog , maybe through lack of time , work commitments , housing and family life , not only that , in most clubs they lose a good percentage of new members within the first three years as believe it or not , it don't appeal to everyone who try it , so offer good advice by all means but give the man a chance to see if he is going to be in it for the long haul , as I know a hell of a lot who packed it in after hardly getting there feet wet :yes: 

Manish unlucky on this morning's flight but we'll done on getting out hopefully gaining a bit more experience.

Yes in my experience you probably left to early as Geese tend to be late/very late leaving their roost on foggy mornings. Apart from reasons already mentioned Staying on the seawall can also be very rewarding due to the Geese will very often drop into or at least have a good look at fields next to the seawall and circle round over the seawall infact to be honest I've shot far more Geese from the seawall in foggy conditions that being on the marsh. As for no dog at the moment keep going do as you are doing now being sensible gaining experience I'm sure you're efforts will end in reward