Fog fowling without a dog

Manish

Over the last 50+ years I've shot from the Welland all the way around the coast to Snettisham beach various other parts of the North Norfolk coast to Stiffkey numerous Scottish estuaries/ foreshore in what i call proper Pea Souper ( very dense fog ) weather high tides low tides with dogs and without dogs from the seawall out to where the Green marsh turns to mud/sand hand on heart not once have i ever got lost ever got cut off by the tide or ever been concerned for my safety or others I've guided onto a marsh. I've learned took on board what my Father - Kenzie - Frank Harrison along with other fowler's willing to share their knowledge. Respect tides the weather learn the marsh don't ever cross a creek you can't easily step over when a tide is due while flighting and never ever take a chance/chances . For myself a Pea Souper Moon Light and Snow Blizzard  ( can't remember the last ) are the cream of wild places and Wildfowling. 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, marsh man said:

You cannot beat local knowledge when it comes to coastal fowling , I have only been down as far as the East Lighthouse twice when I walked it from the bus stop near Sutton Bridge , the first time I went I ran out of time and had to make my way back as I had arranged to meet my wife at the bus station in K / Lynn , the second time I went I had the day to myself and went into the Lighthouse when the owner then ( Mr Joel ? ) had a open day to raise some funds for some project in the area , when I came out I carried on walking on The Peter Scott route towards Lynn , looking at the salt marshes you would really need local knowledge , or for the first few times out to go with someone from around those parts , if I live local and was about to take up the sport I would be spending a lot of my free time in daylight hours finding my way around and making notes about how high a normal tide come up the creeks and so on , like our estuary you can tell how high a Spring tide reach by the rubbish it leave behind and when the tide , wind , moon all come together at the same I have seen the water come over the top of the estuary wall , so I would advise the op to spend as much time as he can just checking the area out where he intends to do his shooting .

The only thing I’d add is that nowadays Google Earth can really help you plan where to go, and a quick look on your phone can identify if you’re walking out on the right creek. These tools can help, but not replace the experience of knowing the areas in a multitude of conditions.

30 minutes ago, motty said:

Around 28 years go I first set foot on the wash with a gun.

That don't answer my question!!!! To fowl the areas I fowl without a dog is asking for trouble and 90% of the time shooting stuff without a dog is exactly the ammunition the anti brigade wants to hammer more nails into our cause and I would not get most of my ducks back

1 minute ago, m greeny said:

That don't answer my question!!!! To fowl the areas I fowl without a dog is asking for trouble and 90% of the time shooting stuff without a dog is exactly the ammunition the anti brigade wants to hammer more nails into our cause and I would not get most of my ducks back

Ok then. I have been fowling for around 28 years. I have already mentioned that there are many circumstances where a dog is not required where I shoot. This is obviously not the case if I shoot the tide.

I own a pretty decent dog, and last week I had successive flights of 10 birds and 11 birds. I ended up picking everything. This would not have been possible without a dog, and I wouldn't have shot where I did without one.

I really don't see where antis come into any of this.

11 minutes ago, motty said:

Ok then. I have been fowling for around 28 years. I have already mentioned that there are many circumstances where a dog is not required where I shoot. This is obviously not the case if I shoot the tide.

I own a pretty decent dog, and last week I had successive flights of 10 birds and 11 birds. I ended up picking everything. This would not have been possible without a dog, and I wouldn't have shot where I did without one.

I really don't see where antis come into any of this.

Antis are watching us all the time and just my opinion but true fowling below the high water mark can't be done without a competent fowling dog otherwise  fowl would be lost period.

12 hours ago, m greeny said:

Antis are watching us all the time and just my opinion but true fowling below the high water mark can't be done without a competent fowling dog otherwise  fowl would be lost period.

Antis are a very funny but dedicated sub species of human. They are probably on PW too just looking for things they can use. In fact I would say they are rubbing there hands over this thinking they dont have to do much to cause arguments in the community 

1 hour ago, Manish said:

Antis are a very funny but dedicated sub species of human. They are probably on PW too just looking for things they can use. In fact I would say they are rubbing there hands over this thinking they dont have to do much to cause arguments in the community 

You'll be alright, there are no big cats on our foreshore 😂😂😂

At the end of the day we know it make sense to go fowling with a dog for the simple fact you are often shooting in or close to water and in poor lighting conditions .

This is not to say you can't shoot fowl while being without a dog , of course you can and many of us started off doing exactly that , but it is down to using common sense , you wouldn't stand on the edge of the river and take shots at duck flighting down the centre of the river knowing if you shot something you are going to have a job retrieving the bird , also if you had a choice of shooting morning or in the evening , then morning would be the best bet with the light improving , whereas shooting in poor light during the evening flight you cannot always see where a duck or goose would glide out after the shot was taken .

Most, if not all of my fowling is now done at night and this is when a dog come into it's own and I am sure I am not the only one who get fowl that are not always dead when they hit the deck , this is when a dog is most needed  as once they reach the dykes or open water even a good dog have often got it's work cut out, again it can be done without your four legged friend as I often see the torches flashing about the fields when the flight have finished and hopefully all have been accounted for . 

Having literally had to swim for a duck once I will always prefer to shoot where I can easilyr retrievemy quarry. For some owning a gundog is not possible but by being sensible and picking your shots it's not essential.  Having said that they are great company and a day out with them is even more special. Sharing a dawn or sunset with your four legged friends is part of the experience. I swear some dogs are like radar, when tail stops wagging there's geese on the way.

• 4 months later...

I haven't read every reply to the original question. My comments are I wouldn't dream of going wildfowling without a dog. Taking a good shot and having a good retreive makes it for me. I've only been wildfowling since 2007. My lab was my first dog "trained" for the gun. First season he's was **** and so was I, but I was mentored by one of the old fellas in the club. Learnt a lot. My shooting improved and with experience so did the dog. I would chose my spots very carefully if shooting in the fog. My club allows 2 wildfowlers to share a dog. So if it's a new member they are mentored and if they don't have a dog that's fine as long as their mentor does. 

• 2 weeks later...