Car insurance renewal

steve_b_wales

I've just had a renewal quote for my car insurance which expires the end of this month. I decided to check other quotes first and my first port of call was Compare the market. The best quote was from Halifax, so I then went on the Go Compare website. Again, the best quote was from Halifax, but cheaper than the quote on the other website, plus I get free £250 excess cover. 

Happy days!

2 minutes ago, peejay said:

had my renewal notice for this year..£825  with £400 excess from coop eco... phoned Adrian Flux direct and got it for £497 with £250 excess... 

Perhaps you should have shopped around last year?

The Car insurance game is a racket, if you know how to play it you can get a good deal.

Years ago I was friendly with a chap from Norwich Union, now Aviva. He explained that there will always be a company or two that will discount to get new business. Then most lazy people stay and the price goes up upon renewal.

Shop around like Steve did, you can get the same degree of cover and potentially save a small fortune.

49 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

The Car insurance game is a racket, if you know how to play it you can get a good deal.

Years ago I was friendly with a chap from Norwich Union, now Aviva. He explained that there will always be a company or two that will discount to get new business. Then most lazy people stay and the price goes up upon renewal.

Shop around like Steve did, you can get the same degree of cover and potentially save a small fortune.

I've always done this, and then I contact my existing insurer to see if they can match, or beat the new quote. Sometimes they will.

On that note, I've just come off the phone to my insurer to tell them that I won't be renewing with them. When asked why, I told them that my new quote, which has everything (and more) is cheaper than they offered, the reply was 'well let's see what I can do'. I explained that I have already taken out insurance with someone else, but he still tried to offer me a better quote, which was only £22 cheaper than the first renewal quote, and still £67 more than my new one. 

Edited by steve_b_wales

25 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

i did shop around. that was the best quote on comparason sites i could get. 

Just got my renewal of £486, £110 dearer than last year, yet car is a year older, so less valuable.

GoCompare have come up with a price of around £300 for equal or better cover.

£186 saving just for logging in, checking my details are correct and pressing return.

I wish everything was that simple and saved you money.

Anyone know of a comparison site for Road Fund License? 🤣

1 hour ago, moondoggy said:

Just got my renewal of £486, £110 dearer than last year, yet car is a year older, so less valuable.

GoCompare have come up with a price of around £300 for equal or better cover.

£186 saving just for logging in, checking my details are correct and pressing return.

I wish everything was that simple and saved you money.

Anyone know of a comparison site for Road Fund License? 🤣

Go Compare will also give you £250 free excess cover. 

22 hours ago, mossy835 said:

mine sent me a quote and because i had a HGV licence, she took more off.

20 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Yes indeed, often the case that as you drive professionally or have kaccess to works vehicles they reduce the cost as you should be a better driver.

My car insurance is more expensive because I drive a HGV , when I questioned it , I was told that as I drive more miles , I'm statistically more likely to have an accident. 

Insurance companies are robbing xxxxxxxx .

Edited to add.

When my renewal quote arrived this year , it had gone up by £80 ish , I asked them why it had gone up , and they explained that it was due to claims in the local area,  and that everyone else's insurance had gone up as well , I then asked why my wife's insurance had dropped in price , but they couldn't really give me an answer .

After doing a go compare and going with another company,  they called me to say that I had only been given two years no claims discount by my last insurance company,  after explaining that I'd never made a claim in 36 years of driving , their reply was " yes we know , we can see that you've never made a claim "  but as my last insurer only gave me two years , that's all that they would give me . At that point my frustration got the better of me , and my wife had to take over.

Edited by mel b3