Is this a scam ?

Old Boggy

I have received an email from dpdgroup (or purporting to be) stating that they tried to deliver a parcel and no-one was in with no safe place to be left.

No card left through door.

Now I’ve not ordered anything from anyone who would automatically have my email address and not expecting anything from anyone.

The cynic in me tells me this ‘could’ be a scam as there is a link to ‘Reschedule parcel’ which I’ve not pressed.

Am I being over cautious?

I’ve just noticed at the top the words ‘To schedule a new delivery, a shipping fee must be paid’. This reinforces my thought that it is a scam.

OB

Edited by Old Boggy

My wife was getting 20 or more emails a day from "Norton" and "McAfee" all from different addresses and slightly different subject wording. She painstakingly typed in the subject line and addresses into her spam filter, and is now down to 2 a week.

I'm getting the Norton and McAfee mails and one allegedly from DPD regarding a parcel that will be sent back to the sender unless I pay $X, when you go onto the real DPD parcel tracker the tracking number from the scam email doesn't exist.

Press shift delete to permanently delete the emails 🙂

If the suspected scam comes through on Email, click the senders email to see it in full senders email.

You may see something like this     DVLA.GOV.UK   immediatley followed by the email  bobscam@aol.ie.

I had this one saying my car was untaxed and on giving my details to get legal, give us your account details and all would be forgiven.

20 hours ago, das said:

If the suspected scam comes through on Email, click the senders email to see it in full senders email.

You may see something like this     DVLA.GOV.UK   immediatley followed by the email  bobscam@aol.ie.

I had this one saying my car was untaxed and on giving my details to get legal, give us your account details and all would be forgiven.

That’s a good one. The sender has set the sender display name attribute to dvla.gov.uk but the sender name is the actual sender attribute. Usually theŷ will be the same unless you are setting a friendly name for display or (as in this case) spoofing the  sender.

Another check is to hover over or right click the hyper link they want you to click. Depends on the browser but you want to see the address without going to it. A genuine mail will have an official looking name or domain, a phishing one will have a weird address.

I've had a couple of recorded messages saying hmrc is opening a case against me ....Yawn whatever!

A mate of mine loves the phone calls because he keeps them on the phone for ages, just so they aren't getting anyone else.  One time he spent ages acting thick saying his pc wouldn't do what the caller wanted it to do and when the scammer asked is the internet connected he went bonkers at them and said he didn't have internet and they had wasted his time.

His best one was, again acting thick, he managed to gain access to the scammers pc!  Essentially they want you to open a remote access connection that will allow them to get on your pc and find your donkey pron. They got so desperate to get on his pc that they gave him their access code so he could get on their pc. They kept asking have you made the connection etc and he said no but what he was doing was looking for any stuff on their pc. He found a bit  and then he started deleting operating system files. After stringing them on for a bit longer he then asked them where all the good stuff was on their pc because he couldn't find it. He was met with silence then a string of swearing. He did laugh mightily. The stuff he found on the scammers pc  was only a couple of phone number but he did find a complete set of bank details and passwords. He contacted the bank with the details and said x person has had their account compromised. The bank couldnt confirm any details but did thank him. The 2 other phone numbers were belonging to elderly people and he explaind to them that he had found their numbers on a scammers pc. I think youtube has loads of scammer baiting  on it.

A friends wife works for the government and even they get them and a fave line they use is " could you tell me where you got this number from as it is a secure line and MI5 track all calls to this number."   click beeeeeep   LOL