Handwarmers

30-6

My son' s are asking what I want for Christmas. Now I don't like to ask for a thermal imager, and as a 60 something male got most things I need. Chocolate and alcohol are now not so appealing, so the only thing I can think that would be used is a handwarmer.

So, having never seen or tried one, does anyone use / recommend them ?

If so what make, am I right in thinking that there are rechargeable ones that need no filling ?

Hello mate ,I have the Zippo type fuel hand warmers and are pleased with these but my latest is the large hot rox  it has 2 heat settings and always there when you need it ,lasts a good while when fully charged and you don't have the lighting process just stick it in your pocket and turn on when needed. If it's really cold I still leave with petrol Zippo and take hot rox for back up.I find the petrol hand warmers you have to keep in pocket to keep warm  ,Hope this helps .We also have small hot rox this is more circle in shape not so good in my opinion

Hi 30-6 I use handwarmers this time of the year. In fact I have two, one each in the "handwarmer" pockets of my shooting jacket. There are lots of sorts, mine are run on lighter fuel , and there are some that are run on stored heat, which may be the "rechargeable" ones you mention. There are plenty on the internet, and you can browse that and make your choice. 

I use the Peacock lighter fuel ones, one in each hand warmer pocket of my shooting jacket/s. On very cold/freezing days, I also use one in a pouch, attached to a thin belt, and  placed at the bottom of my back. That generates heat up my back and through my body. My friend in the USA gave me the idea.

Edited by steve_b_wales

I bought my wife the S-Boston peril hand warmer, it has batteries to heat a wire to start it. It can be turned off and back on at lesuire it's also the hottest I've used 

i have a small Kawasaki alloy version that stays hot for more than 12 hours at a time.

cheap ones work ok and two are ideal to put one down back of each glove to keep your hands warm.

Over many years I have used all types, including the old fag lighter type but in the last two winters I now buy a supply of the small crushable packets for 99p each. Just rub them in your hands and they heat up and last 7 -8hrs  and small enough to slide inside a glove if needed. They don't go out suddenly and one in each hand  pocket of a shooting jacket keeps the old fingers cosey.  I buy them from my local camping store.

On 08/12/2020 at 11:44, JTaylor91 said:

I have a zippo one. Nice to have in the inside chest pocket to keep you warm. Bad point is you get the occasional whiff of lighter fluid even with zippo fluid. Also surprisingly difficult to buy lighter fluid now, I had to order it online.

Hello, get mine from the £ shop,