Spaniel ears after working ( beating) harvest mites ?

Agriv8

So pip the one year old sprocker has been out trice. Getting bramble scrapes on legs ears. These go after a few days and seem to cause her little concern.

but both times she seems to have picked up assumed harvest mites in both ears.

i use nexgard spectra anything else you guys suggest.

ps only really found as like to check her over after shower/ comb trough.

thanks Agriv8 

02A1D12C-8B4A-43E5-A5EA-C1212987BB64.jpeg

E1E5A178-240C-4F63-8B00-EA614D58F834.jpeg

42 minutes ago, Agriv8 said:

So pip the one year old sprocker has been out trice. Getting bramble scrapes on legs ears. These go after a few days and seem to cause her little concern.

but both times she seems to have picked up assumed harvest mites in both ears.

i use nexgard spectra anything else you guys suggest.

ps only really found as like to check her over after shower/ comb trough.

thanks Agriv8 

02A1D12C-8B4A-43E5-A5EA-C1212987BB64.jpeg

E1E5A178-240C-4F63-8B00-EA614D58F834.jpeg

Can't help you on the mite problem , but just to admire your dog and the cracking photo , hope you get sorted and THANKS for sharing .

Thanks marsh man we doing ok - training articles on here are very good,  she is not food oriented so training been fun. She picked two runners on the VERY Small family shoot Saturday only dog in the vicinity so had to give it a go  ( not shot by me - she couldn’t find that one !) so this week we working on releasing the dummy with a pair of wings tied on - plain dummy has been presented and released without a drama so getting this sorted in kitchen and garden. 

I wanted a beating dog as that’s what I enjoy but a clear crisp Saturday morning with the dog working well under the briers and putting the birds up that flew so well almost brought a lump to the throat.

regards Agriv8 

3 minutes ago, B725 said:

Spaniels can regularly get ear infections due to the ears being long,warm and wet unless kept clean and dry. I have to use an ear cleaner fairly often on mine to keep them clean.

Thanks B725 - so I have been cleaning with This once every week mainly underside and usually after I have found the bites so a day or two after- maybe change this to after working pip and she’s had her clean / check over treating then - will it cause discomfort on the scratches / scrapes ?

image.jpg

6 minutes ago, Agriv8 said:

Thanks B725 - so I have been cleaning with This once every week mainly underside and usually after I have found the bites so a day or two after- maybe change this to after working pip and she’s had her clean / check over treating then - will it cause discomfort on the scratches / scrapes ?

image.jpg

We put two or three drops into the ear and gently massage the ear then carefully clean with a very soft tissue, I use the same stuff as you have just keep it off the scratches.

B725 thanks - so all the bites are towards the bottom of the ear under the hair. I had been gently rubbing the Clean Aural Into the bites and this seems to be working ok. Getting her ears wet seems to agitate them which ends with her rubbing them on rug. She’s not  scratching them with her paws.

will continue as and see how we get on.

Thanks Again Agriv8 

10 hours ago, loriusgarrulus said:

I run the clippers on a 1.5mm setting round the underside of our springers ears. Helps keep them clean and allows more air into the ear canal reducing chances of ear infections. Also makes it easier to get ear powder or cleaner into the ears.

thanks I have been trimming the outer ears  and around the shape of the ear to reduce tangles and snagging. but not thinning on inner of the ear flap - she’s ok with the clippers legs and bum but a bit reluctant around head so will go slowly using scissors at the moment only on 3rd clip by me at 13 months !

Many thanks all will see how we get on working Sat

Agriv8