Venison

spurs 14

Anyone know where I can get venison from local to me , Newmarket in Suffolk , as in half a carcass or pre butchered but in larger amounts, there’s a few butchers here but it’s bit costly buying it like that , considering shooters are not getting much from the game dealers someone is making a good  mark up !  Seems to be on all game we were out last week for a bite to eat , up market pub slash restaurant, pigeon starter £4.95 and a venison main course £25          Thanks all  

Hi Spurs, 

When looking at the cost of meals on the table you need to look at the bigger picture. I supplied rabbits to a local for a game night i charged £1.50 skinned and gutted, the charge for a rabbit and plum steam pudding with a cider sauce was £9.95. 1 member of staff spending 6 hours prepping the all rabbits de-boning to the end product, and he actually wanted paying for the trouble. 

Its bloody hard graft and long unsociable hours in a kitchen for little pay believe me. 

You have stalking in your location available, for around £150 you could have a days stalk and then buy the carcass at a pretty decent price. 

26 minutes ago, spurs 14 said:

Anyone know where I can get venison from local to me , Newmarket in Suffolk , as in half a carcass or pre butchered but in larger amounts, there’s a few butchers here but it’s bit costly buying it like that , considering shooters are not getting much from the game dealers someone is making a good  mark up !  Seems to be on all game we were out last week for a bite to eat , up market pub slash restaurant, pigeon starter £4.95 and a venison main course £25          Thanks all  

What species of Deer you looking for.  I have access to Fallow Roe CWD and Muntjac at £1 per lb BUT it would be whole carcass in the skin fully grolloched as ready to go to game dealer I'm approx 20 minutes away from Newmarket if it's of any help

1 hour ago, 6.5x55SE said:

What species of Deer you looking for.  I have access to Fallow Roe CWD and Muntjac at £1 per lb BUT it would be whole carcass in the skin fully grolloched as ready to go to game dealer I'm approx 20 minutes away from Newmarket if it's of any help

That may just be ideal , can I let you know , thanks 

dougy , thanks for your reply I appreciate that but was just trying to put across the huge difference in the start of the food chain on game meat to the end price on the table