Gaiters

Lloyd90

Can I ask, what are they for? 

just keeping the bottom of your trousers and boots dry? 

Are they worth having? Which ones are worth a try? 

I was out this weekend gone and everyone had them apart from me 🤣 I just had boots and waterproof trousers on 🤷‍♂️ Which were fine kept me dry and warm enough, so I’m wondering about them. 

thanks 

What’s wrong with everyone’s boots? 

I am wearing Meindl Dovre Extreme boots and not once so far have I had wet feet. I put my waterproof trousers over the top of the boots 🤔

Maybe I’m doing it wrong 🤷‍♂️🤣

To be fair I've not been out up on the hill or in Heather before so maybe it’s different there. 

I will get a pair as the mother in law needs something to buy me for Xmas and I thought they might be worth a punt. 

5 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

What’s wrong with everyone’s boots? 

I am wearing Meindl Dovre Extreme boots and not once so far have I had wet feet. I put my waterproof trousers over the top of the boots 🤔

Maybe I’m doing it wrong 🤷‍♂️🤣

To be fair I've not been out up on the hill or in Heather before so maybe it’s different there. 

I will get a pair as the mother in law needs something to buy me for Xmas and I thought they might be worth a punt. 

Go walk down a stream or sink near knee deep in a peat bog your boots will fill up from the top the gaiters raise that height especially good one like yetis to more or less knee height. 

1 hour ago, WalkedUp said:

Berghaus Yetis are what every serious beater I know wears on the moor or heavy terrain. I wear cheaper Barbour and Le Chamaux ones. 

Is there much difference? 

Yetis appear to be about £75.

Le Chamaux - £75. 

Barbour - £60.  

Black islander gaiters are the best and toughest I've seen used. Beaters on the grouse moors use them along with the boots.  Not cheap but last 

I wouldn't wear boots when beating without my gaiters. As has been said, step in water over boot height non or very little water gets in.  Mine are trailside snolock large calf, tough canvas green ones, cheaper than the black islander but have done me for last five or six seasons. 

Edited by figgy

8 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Is there much difference? 

Yetis appear to be about £75.

Le Chamaux - £75. 

Barbour - £60.  

I’ve always bought them at £30/40. Will look for a link. 

https://www.countryattire.com/barbour-endurance-gaiters/ca5045791.html?colour=Dark+Green&sku=354563&productid=104192&gclid=Cj0KCQiA5bz-BRD-ARIsABjT4njf4mJy-1DfE3ORxezQBIthytR-pnBnOoJHTKX_PW98fcOCEMdxF4caAszoEALw_wcB

Great thread!  My wife is into Nordic walking and wanted gaiters a Christmas present, having looked at extensively and noted that most have a loop under the boot which seems like a terrible idea that won't last long.   Berghaus.com are doing the Yeti's (no loop) in small size (she is size 4) at £54 discount so £36 - have just ordered.  Thanks all!

7 minutes ago, Cosmicblue said:

Great thread!  My wife is into Nordic walking and wanted gaiters a Christmas present, having looked at extensively and noted that most have a loop under the boot which seems like a terrible idea that won't last long.   Berghaus.com are doing the Yeti's (no loop) in small size (she is size 4) at £54 discount so £36 - have just ordered.  Thanks all!

Great stuff, the yeti's are great for the worst conditions.

One point, the best conventional gators have wire under the foot so that it lasts.