Tyre wear - is it a scam?

Gordon R

I’ve a note tellling my my Q7 sub frame bushes need replacing from when my wife to took it in to the local main dealer.  
So took the 2 hr drive back home to her uncle senior Audi mechanic he said there still lots of wear left in that just keep an eye on it 100,000 mile later still ok.  

Same garage cooked the dpf sensors respraying a wing for me, I don’t you the group now for anything.

Eden Tyres tried to get me to have the A/C flushed said it was'nt working on a nice frosty morning at 08.30, after asking for JUST an oil change, they also advised about brakes ??? funny though the tyre pressure was exactly 29PSI in all 5 tyres what a load of balony, when i last checked they were 38 PSI. 

• 9 months later...
On 08/12/2020 at 21:09, Gordon R said:

My eldest has had a number of Mercedes in recent years - all new - GLE, E-Class and currently a CLS 350. He took the GLE for a service and was told that he needed two new tyres, due to wear. He told them that they had fitted the tyres one month earlier. He eventually ended up with the Manager, who said that the problem was the technician, who had just started work there, having previously being with BMW. My son asked if they had differently calibrated tyre depth gauges at BMW. He got an apology and put it down to experience.

Just been on the phone about something unrelated and mentioned he had the CLS serviced at the Mercedes main agents yesterday. He was slightly surprised to be told that three tyres - fitted by them 3 weeks earlier (having travelled one hundred miles) had worn by 2mm. He again expressed his dissatisfaction with what was going on.

Many years ago I grew weary of exhaust / tyre fitting garages telling me I had a leaky shock absorber or all my brakes needed doing, but couldn't show me where exactly the problems were.

I thought this practice stopped years ago and would have been more prevalent in fast fit establishments.

Is this still commonplace?

I was searching the web to see if anyone else had tyre wear issues with a Merc GLE and this thread popped up on Google…….  I've had mine 11 months, done 40000 miles and just put on my fourth set of rear tyres and third set of front ones😩  Wish I'd stuck to an Audi🤬

20 minutes ago, KB1 said:

I was searching the web to see if anyone else had tyre wear issues with a Merc GLE and this thread popped up on Google…….  I've had mine 11 months, done 40000 miles and just put on my fourth set of rear tyres and third set of front ones😩  Wish I'd stuck to an Audi🤬

Do you drive like Clarkson?

On 08/12/2020 at 21:52, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, I think we have to watch out for anything in the motor trade like this and don't forget a few years back Kwik fit scamming customers for parts and tyres that were not needed, 

Hello, my son went to ATS for his motor check up and gave a long list of faults, took it to a local garage for a service and m o t and passed , no ATS faults 🤔

On 08/12/2020 at 21:09, Gordon R said:

My eldest has had a number of Mercedes in recent years - all new - GLE, E-Class and currently a CLS 350. He took the GLE for a service and was told that he needed two new tyres, due to wear. He told them that they had fitted the tyres one month earlier. He eventually ended up with the Manager, who said that the problem was the technician, who had just started work there, having previously being with BMW. My son asked if they had differently calibrated tyre depth gauges at BMW. He got an apology and put it down to experience.

Just been on the phone about something unrelated and mentioned he had the CLS serviced at the Mercedes main agents yesterday. He was slightly surprised to be told that three tyres - fitted by them 3 weeks earlier (having travelled one hundred miles) had worn by 2mm. He again expressed his dissatisfaction with what was going on.

Many years ago I grew weary of exhaust / tyre fitting garages telling me I had a leaky shock absorber or all my brakes needed doing, but couldn't show me where exactly the problems were.

I thought this practice stopped years ago and would have been more prevalent in fast fit establishments.

Is this still commonplace?

NOT in your local garage.   I know sometimes with new cars they insist they are taken to THEIR establisment to be serviced but I believe this is not lawful.  I personally would never take my car to a Car Sales garage for any work.  I have all of my work done by a family village garage and have for as long as I can remember.  Yes it is a scam.