Peregrine falcons.

JDog

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

Watched one hitting lapwing when out on the shore after geese. The impact was awesome.

Years ago waiting for mallard to flight up over the cliffs a peregrine struck a lapwing a few yards above my head a cloud of feathers as both birds vanished over the cliff edge.

Blackpowder

I once had one nail my flapper. Its confusion was priceless as it kept hacking away at the pigeon that wouldn't "die" 🤣🤣🤣

I've also watched them bringing full grown mallards back to the nest box on Leicester cathedral spire next to my office

I've also watched them bringing full grown mallards back to the nest box on Leicester cathedral spire next to my office

The peregrine is the ultimate hunting machine. I live near a coastal  cliff area, and see a few peregrine chasing ferals with great success. During the winter months I find the remains of woodcock ( feathered wings and bones) which is probably also the peregrine.

As for sparrowhawks -I once had one attack one of my flock coated shell decoy, and the deep gouge on its back could have been made by a chisel.

As for goshawk- an old keeper told me that they do more good than bad as they kill everything including magpies and carrion crows.

Hitman

On 09/12/2020 at 12:25, Dave at kelton said:

Watched one hitting lapwing when out on the shore after geese. The impact was awesome.

I saw one downing a lapwing on Wigtown Bay. When a carrion crow landed a hundred yards or so from it the peregrine was able to carry the lapwing off.

Just now, Konor said:

I saw one downing a lapwing on Wigtown Bay. When a carrion crow landed a hundred yards or so from it the peregrine was able to carry the lapwing off.

It’s the bit about wildfowling that non shooters don’t get. This morning I was out, no geese anywhere near but a merlin zipped a few yards by chasing the pippets. Made my day!

A lady I have known for 40 odd years, very serious and enthusiastic member of RSPB, we have had our differences over the years but remain strong friends.

she goes ballistic about red kites taking out song birds in the Thames Valley. A real Bee in her bonnet about red kites.

I don't know enough to have a valid opinion

But I know her well enough to think she is not some sort of fruitcake on an obsessive campaign for no reason 

Edited by Vince Green

On 10/12/2020 at 21:59, Vince Green said:

A lady I have known for 40 odd years, very serious and enthusiastic member of RSPB, we have had our differences over the years but remain strong friends.

she goes ballistic about red kites taking out song birds in the Thames Valley. A real Bee in her bonnet about red kites.

I don't know enough to have a valid opinion

But I know her well enough to think she is not some sort of fruitcake on an obsessive campaign for no reason 

I have flown and successfully bred Harris Hawks Goss Hawks Redtail and our common Buzzard and cant see a Red Kite flying down song birds as they are know as a scavengers not saying they cant catch anything but they are to big and clumsy for chasing song birds