visiting spring traps

Goldfish

Ask RSPB. They the experts according to them and their "stoat eradication" programme on Orkney. When decaying critters were found by public in traps they blamed CV19, as because of lock down staff could not check traps. Since Feb this year a long with 750 stoats??(81 in development stage), amongst others their bycatch has been 18 "UNIDENTIFIABLE" birds and rodents, 242 rabbits, 111 starlings, 18 hedgehogs, 4 cats and 2 water rails. That's from 21,000 trap checks. Imagine how antis would have been up in arms and used that against us if that was us doing it? . . . Project set to finish at the end of this month! Doubtful it was successful. But hey! Not a bad little earner as they got £6,000,000 of Our/gov money to do it. Six Bloody Million!                    NB

I think you will find it in the Wildlife and Countryside Act, and the Statutory Instruments somewhere. I’ll try and dig out the exact section. Yes, it is the law. People against trapping have set their own camera traps near snares and fenn traps to get evidence of time when they are checked. Best practice in areas where there are Red Squirrels about is to check every 4 hours or less., in case you get a Red Squirrel in a live trap.

1 hour ago, Fisheruk said:

I think you will find it in the Wildlife and Countryside Act, and the Statutory Instruments somewhere. I’ll try and dig out the exact section. Yes, it is the law. People against trapping have set their own camera traps near snares and fenn traps to get evidence of time when they are checked. Best practice in areas where there are Red Squirrels about is to check every 4 hours or less., in case you get a Red Squirrel in a live trap.

Yes, would be great if you could stick that up for us thanks

Quote from "Fair Game" by Parkes and Thornley :

Section 10 of the Protection of Animals Act 1911 and Section 9 of the Protection of Animals (Scotland) Act 1912 require that where spring traps are used, they should be inspected at reasonable intervals and at least once every day between sunrise and sunset. Failure to do so is an offence.

23 minutes ago, Pushandpull said:

Quote from "Fair Game" by Parkes and Thornley :

Section 10 of the Protection of Animals Act 1911 and Section 9 of the Protection of Animals (Scotland) Act 1912 require that where spring traps are used, they should be inspected at reasonable intervals and at least once every day between sunrise and sunset. Failure to do so is an offence.

As far as I know, that act is sort of outdated  and preceded by other acts. Also, the wording above is not exactly accurate. 

I believe that with all wildlife technically protected by law what you need is a defense against a prosecution for causing unnecessary suffering. Checking at least once every 24 hours has always seemed to me to an acceptable level of care, especially when more specific laws such as checking call birds are taken into consideration and this time interval is specifically mentioned.