Christmas present etiquette.

walshie

1 hour ago, Rim Fire said:

Mine wanted a fur coat so i bought her a donkey jacket wasn't happy 

What about fur coat for next year ,We could all save squirrel skins in2021 I recon that would look quite good especially if you put it together yourself It would be a one off cat walk material I recon?and just some mince pies for this year with mistletoe 

Kenwood chef with some attachments. Expensive, but a brilliant piece of kit.

I have the wisk, dough hook, k beater, splash guard, liquidiser, mincer with sausage attachment, cream maker and corn grinder for mine so far. The dough hook is very useful now my hands and wrists are arthritic for bread, pastry or pasta making. The corn grinder is very useful for turning porridge oats into oat flour for oat bread making. I inherited my 901 kenwood chef from my parents with some attachments and have added to them since. As its an older model I get most of the extras off ebay. There are dozens of attachments. Even a potato peeler and a bean slicer too.

It doesn't matter if it's something that makes kitchen work easier or a hobby more enjoyable, if someone says what why  wouldn't you believe them? I'm not a fan of strange and unusual gadgets. I prefer ones that are used an awful lot.

Really, really, really good knives are always welcome. A good sharpener too, if you don't have one already.

A cast iron frying pan is a revelation, if there isn't one already then get one. Steak is perfectly done every time now.

Gourmet ingredients are fun to try. Truffle butter for that steak?

New top quality roasting tins make such a difference especially if the non stick has all worn away.

A digital thermometer spoon is a lovely useful gadget https://www.amazon.co.uk/KitchenCraft-Home-Thermometer-Sugar-Spoon/dp/B00BIJWQWC/ref=pd_lpo_201_t_0/262-6026257-8299165?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00BIJWQWC&pd_rd_r=c2b24fc1-44ee-4b60-8785-440cdf6bee04&pd_rd_w=mIcD3&pd_rd_wg=3Av05&pf_rd_p=7b8e3b03-1439-4489-abd4-4a138cf4eca6&pf_rd_r=4VK54N1M13MDHJHTMT2N&psc=1&refRID=4VK54N1M13MDHJHTMT2N

Check what might be worn out in your kitchen. I could do with some decent plastic chopping boards and a quick look around would show that. 

Oh, and an egg slicer is a marvellous tool. I haven't ever sliced an egg in mine but I used it for cutting up balls of mozzarella.

1 hour ago, loriusgarrulus said:

Kenwood chef with some attachments. Expensive, but a brilliant piece of kit.

I have the wisk, dough hook, k beater, splash guard, liquidiser, mincer with sausage attachment, cream maker and corn grinder for mine so far. The dough hook is very useful now my hands and wrists are arthritic for bread, pastry or pasta making. The corn grinder is very useful for turning porridge oats into oat flour for oat bread making. I inherited my 901 kenwood chef from my parents with some attachments and have added to them since. As its an older model I get most of the extras off ebay. There are dozens of attachments. Even a potato peeler and a bean slicer too.

I see your list and I envy your cream maker. The silicone K beater is worth its weight in gold IMHO. 

2 hours ago, ehb102 said:

It doesn't matter if it's something that makes kitchen work easier or a hobby more enjoyable, if someone says what why  wouldn't you believe them? I'm not a fan of strange and unusual gadgets. I prefer ones that are used an awful lot.

Really, really, really good knives are always welcome. A good sharpener too, if you don't have one already.

A cast iron frying pan is a revelation, if there isn't one already then get one. Steak is perfectly done every time now.

Gourmet ingredients are fun to try. Truffle butter for that steak?

New top quality roasting tins make such a difference especially if the non stick has all worn away.

A digital thermometer spoon is a lovely useful gadget https://www.amazon.co.uk/KitchenCraft-Home-Thermometer-Sugar-Spoon/dp/B00BIJWQWC/ref=pd_lpo_201_t_0/262-6026257-8299165?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00BIJWQWC&pd_rd_r=c2b24fc1-44ee-4b60-8785-440cdf6bee04&pd_rd_w=mIcD3&pd_rd_wg=3Av05&pf_rd_p=7b8e3b03-1439-4489-abd4-4a138cf4eca6&pf_rd_r=4VK54N1M13MDHJHTMT2N&psc=1&refRID=4VK54N1M13MDHJHTMT2N

Check what might be worn out in your kitchen. I could do with some decent plastic chopping boards and a quick look around would show that. 

Oh, and an egg slicer is a marvellous tool. I haven't ever sliced an egg in mine but I used it for cutting up balls of mozzarella.

I see your list and I envy your cream maker. The silicone K beater is worth its weight in gold IMHO. 

I didn't know they did the K beater in silicone. Must go and have a look. 👍

A cast iron steak press or weight is good too, especially if you have a cast iron griddle. You just heat it up on another ring while the frying pan is heating up. Cooks your steak from both sides at once.

OH got me the extra wide front wheel for my Travelscoot for Christmas with offroad grip pattern for when I am having a bad legs day. It just arrived from Germany this week. :) It will be great for fishing trips. I have a lightweight trailer I adapted for it to cart the fishing gear in.

I bought OH an anvil for his workshop. 

20201116_162537.jpg

20201116_162550.jpg

Edited by loriusgarrulus

At least she's narrowed it down a bit now. A DeWalt combination drill set. :lol:

Seriously though, an oven proof frying pan, a cast iron griddle pan or a wok. I suspect she really means all of them. I'd best get googling to find "good" makes.

I get it that if it's something she wants then get it but I always thought any domestic tool/appliance was a big no-no. I'd better get some perfume too to be on the safe side. 

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. 

7 minutes ago, walshie said:

At least she's narrowed it down a bit now. A DeWalt combination drill set. 

Seriously though, an oven proof frying pan, a cast iron griddle pan or a wok. I suspect she really means all of them. I'd best get googling to find "good" makes.

I get it that if it's something she wants then get it but I always thought any domestic tool/appliance was a big no-no. I'd better get some perfume too to be on the safe side. 

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. 

With a Wok your better getting the carbon steel one with the wooden handle. A cast iron one would be too heavy to lift. I have a 12" steel wok that you prove with oil same as the cast iron. Its better than the non stick ones once proven.

Edited by loriusgarrulus

8 minutes ago, loriusgarrulus said:

With a Wok your better getting the carbon steel one with the wooden handle. A cast iron one would be too heavy to lift. I have a 12" steel wok that you prove with oil same as the cast iron. Its better than the non stick ones once proven.

Fair point. I have the large Le Cruset with the glass lid and it weighs a ton!

Just now, GingerCat said:

Get her a mincer and a proper sausage maker. 2 presents. And the something else totally different. Whatever you shoot and prepare she can turn into burgers  sausages, pies an and such. Win win. If she doesn't like it you can use them and have rhe backup present also. Still winning.

Mincer ordered yesterday.

I will revert to you for instructions in due course.

I made my wife a fancy chopping board last Xmas as she loved stuff like that . She left 4 weeks later and I’ve ended up with a nice chopping  board 🤣🤣🤣
my tip is buy something you’ll use in the kitchen if she leaves 🤣🤣🤣

ive made the new girlfriend something special this year but her family own a few shoots and stalk so I can’t share yet as I guess they’re on here 😂

On 09/12/2020 at 17:38, walshie said:

"Er indoors has recently got right into cooking and baking and I must say I'm enjoying the experimentation. (Not beef and marmalade sandwiches though). 

Asking her what she wants for Christmas this year she said she wanted and I quote "Anything to do with cooking." 

I thought buying your wife kitchen equipment for Christmas was a massive faux pas if you didn't want the silent treatment and a sex ban for months. Obviously it's hard to work out what women actually want, but does this mean I should or shouldn't buy her what she asked for? 

Get her a job in the chip shop down stairs ,sorted and a fish supper to boot , I hope this is of help ?