Gun safe keys & cartridges

ReddZed

Hello - my first post here, been entertained/educated reading the posts so far :)

I'm applying for my SCT and have the FLO visit in under 2 weeks, and I've got a couple of questions.

I've got my gun safe installed in an out of the way cupboard, into a stone wall and floor joists. What do you all do to keep your keys secure? Someone at the club suggested a small key safe (see image) which I've got...but I'm struggling with where to put that. It's wall mountable, but just looks so ugly...would it need to be mounted, or would keeping the key safe locked but unattached to a wall, sitting on my desk? 

Also, is the FLO likely to ask about storing cartridges? I had been planning on using a big plastic crate in the bottom of a bedroom wardrobe (we have kids and a dog or it would have been under the bed). I know they don't need to be locked up, but is this comparable to how most store them?

I know the FLO will advise me if they have any concerns, but I'm keen to stack the odds in my favor of getting the SCT without having to take any remedial actions after the visit and creating a delay.

Thanks in advance :)

keysafe.jpg

Some do accept a secure box for keys. Others not so keen as the thieves can easily see where they are. A lump hammer is going to make short work of that key box.  I think it's more usual to hide them. Not telling anyone where they are.

As for storing cartridges I was not asked, or anyone I know. But I usually shoot black powder and keep the cartridges under the wifes bed. Black is dodgy stuff!

Best just to ask your FEO if it’s okay just to hide your keys somewhere. I’m under Humberside and they are fine with just hiding keys. Regards to storing cartridges you could sit them on your kitchen table if you really wanted to, you don’t even need a licence to have cartridges. Bottom of the bedroom wardrobe should be fine, doubt they will ask.

42 minutes ago, Scully said:

If you’re going to use a key safe, then use it, but don’t put your gun cabinet keys in it, it will make a handy distraction in the event someone breaks in. 
Just hide your cabinet keys anywhere you like, but don’t forget to write down where you keep the duplicates. 👍

I lost my cabinet keys once. I did manage to find the duplicates, AFTER I had paid a locksmith a kings ransom to get in the cabinet.

5 minutes ago, Imperfection said:

Why not just hide the keys like most do? Much simpler solution.

I'm perfectly happy to just hide the keys (or keep with me) :) The doubts were sown from suggestions that the local FLO preferred keys to be locked up in one. Will take a steer on it from the FLO when we meet.

Also, the keys fitted inside the safe...with about 0.5mm to spare.

26 minutes ago, ReddZed said:

I'm perfectly happy to just hide the keys (or keep with me) :) The doubts were sown from suggestions that the local FLO preferred keys to be locked up in one. Will take a steer on it from the FLO when we meet.

You soon tire of having an enormous bunch of keys in your pocket. I have five safes for guns & ammunition which equates to a lot of keys!

I just think you're putting your entire gun security in the trust of one small safe. Shotgun cartridges dont need to be secured unless you have slug. If you have children in house put any cartridges in a cupboard-out of reach of small hands. I use slabs of cartridges to hold doors open. 😄

1 hour ago, ReddZed said:

I'm perfectly happy to just hide the keys (or keep with me)  The doubts were sown from suggestions that the local FLO preferred keys to be locked up in one. Will take a steer on it from the FLO when we meet.

Ask him if he can suggest a nice safe place for the key safe keys. 👍

Strangely enough, in all of the thirty years I spent attending house burglaries, the bathroom was the one room that was untouched. I recall doing a shotgun certificate renewal many years ago and his cabinet was installed under the bath. An easily removed bath panel revealed his cabinet, which had been fully insulated to prevent damp. 

47 minutes ago, Westley said:

Strangely enough, in all of the thirty years I spent attending house burglaries, the bathroom was the one room that was untouched. I recall doing a shotgun certificate renewal many years ago and his cabinet was installed under the bath. An easily removed bath panel revealed his cabinet, which had been fully insulated to prevent damp. 

I have to agree. Pretty much anywhere outside of the bedroom and living area (drinks cupboard excluded) aren't touched. 

19 hours ago, Westley said:

I recall doing a shotgun certificate renewal many years ago and his cabinet was installed under the bath. An easily removed bath panel revealed his cabinet, which had been fully insulated to prevent damp. 

That’s a great idea. 

Depending on the size of the cabinet key it might not fit in those master lock key safes?