Taking a friend clay pigeon

MWildfowler

1 hour ago, DUNKS said:

Or much simpler just ask form car keys as a deposit.

Simpler for whom? It's not simpler for me, that's for sure. 

Look, the conversation has gone full circle now. At the start I said I wouldn't leave my ticket or car keys as collateral with someone I don't know, nor trust to keep them safe, so I would simply shoot elsewhere. Nothing that has been said has changed my mind.

If they cannot fathom how to stop people cheating them, then more the fool them. How can I trust their procedures ensure no-one cheats them out of my car keys as well?

Edited by LeedsZeppelin

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On money:

My local shoot operates on trust, you tell them how many you are going to shoot and have to keep count in your head or by cartridge box. I love it but they must be getting ripped off sadly by the natural wastefulness and cheekiness of humans. Lots of seeing a pair before each stand. I’m sure people “find” the odd loose cartridge that it would be a shame to carry home. 

I organised a small competition for my gun dogclub, 20 guns. The prices weren’t expensive but were £5 higher than what I had been told and advertised. This is because they had put out more stands for us, so not money for nothing. Everyone politely argued the toss with me and the owner so the owner just relented. I felt embarrassed and guilty to the point where I wouldn’t want to rebook the place even though it was the most successful shoot we’ve had in terms of enjoyment. 

On taking a friend shooting:

At Worsley I have been asked to vouch for my non-SGC friend and they signed a GMP form. NWSS insists upon a lesson with an instructor prior to shooting for non-SGC holders. Whilst at the other end some places even lend guns to those shooting without a SGC as long as we are there to supervise them. I wasn’t offended or concerned in any scenario however I can see that it may be inconvenient if you turn up with a pal and are unable to shoot. Best to phone ahead in such circumstances. 

We run our shoot on trust when it comes to taking extra clays.

We take payment up front for a set course of targets. The sequence is shown on each stand and I am quite happy for the first gun in each squad to view the targets before the squad shoots that stand but only if they turn up and no one is shooting when they arrive there.

We do get some people taking extra clays and I've heard them saying "Just give me that one again" and carrying on "practicing" till they are hitting the target.

I have no hesitation at all in pointing out their greed in front of all as they are just stealing from their Club Members and end up forcing price increases.

I have told people who are caught reoffending that I don't want them on the ground as they are not the type of shooters we need.

On the Individual Checks, we get them to fill out a form to the effect that they have not been disqualified from holding a shotgun Certificate and take their address, Contact Details and Certificate Details at the start of every year and this form is held by the Club for the period of their membership.

Happy Shooting (soon hopefully)    

Unless you have run a shooting ground and are aware of some of the pitfalls, which includes putting equipment out and also away afterwards, in ALL weathers, listening to all of the moans and groans, hearing every excuse in the book for why they could not hit the targets and the cost of cartridges and clays etc. etc. etc. This coupled with batteries that 'die' due to the cold, buttons that fail due to the wet weather, then picking up all of the cartridge cases kindly left on the floor. I mean if they can not hit the bin, they have no chance of hitting clays  ?  This is on top of trying to maintain safety at all levels, I do not feel that you can criticize those that turn out week in and week out to provide what is after all, your enjoyment. Having been there done that etc.,  I for one would not complain about leaving my car keys or shotgun certificate as some form of security. Problem with leaving my car keys is that I usually return to my car to top up on ammo during shooting. Having shot at and Instructed at most of the grounds I attend I am known,  so the issue does not arise, however, if it did, it would not be a problem to me.

11 hours ago, Westley said:

Unless you have run a shooting ground and are aware of some of the pitfalls, which includes putting equipment out and also away afterwards, in ALL weathers, listening to all of the moans and groans, hearing every excuse in the book for why they could not hit the targets and the cost of cartridges and clays etc. etc. etc. This coupled with batteries that 'die' due to the cold, buttons that fail due to the wet weather, then picking up all of the cartridge cases kindly left on the floor. I mean if they can not hit the bin, they have no chance of hitting clays  ?  This is on top of trying to maintain safety at all levels, I do not feel that you can criticize those that turn out week in and week out to provide what is after all, your enjoyment. Having been there done that etc.,  I for one would not complain about leaving my car keys or shotgun certificate as some form of security. Problem with leaving my car keys is that I usually return to my car to top up on ammo during shooting. Having shot at and Instructed at most of the grounds I attend I am known,  so the issue does not arise, however, if it did, it would not be a problem to me.

I’m not being funny but if it’s that much of a chore and hassle, and not enjoyable then why do you do it? 
I wouldn’t leave my vehicle keys nor my ticket with anyone. Trust works both ways. 

9 hours ago, Scully said:

I’m not being funny but if it’s that much of a chore and hassle, and not enjoyable then why do you do it? 
I wouldn’t leave my vehicle keys nor my ticket with anyone. Trust works both ways. 

After 17 years, I was STILL asking that same question. I like to think that it had something to do with some 30 + years of shooting both game and clays and especially pigeons, and wanting to put something back in. I wanted to try and improve the route for absolute beginners to get into the sport and I like to think that was the case. Judging by the numbers of people I meet around the shooting grounds who had their first lessons with me and are now accomplished game and clay shots themselves. Having been on the 'other side of the fence' I am extremely tolerant of shooting ground staff and equipment breakdowns, although I fear that others are not quite so tolerant. 

14 minutes ago, Westley said:

After 17 years, I was STILL asking that same question. I like to think that it had something to do with some 30 + years of shooting both game and clays and especially pigeons, and wanting to put something back in. I wanted to try and improve the route for absolute beginners to get into the sport and I like to think that was the case. Judging by the numbers of people I meet around the shooting grounds who had their first lessons with me and are now accomplished game and clay shots themselves. Having been on the 'other side of the fence' I am extremely tolerant of shooting ground staff and equipment breakdowns, although I fear that others are not quite so tolerant. 

Fair enough. Good for you. 👍