In modern (and strange) times is a bottle of single malt still the best way to say thank you for your shooting permission....?

Westley78

some people hate whiskey...........why spend £50  plus on a decent bottle of malt....knowing full well he or she will water it down with ginger ale or something else....

find out what he or she really likes........maybe a nice magazine subscription................or a drinkable couple of bottles of port he can share with the mrs or whoever...

do a bit of groundwork first

22 hours ago, Westley78 said:

What do you think... ?

Like already said , not everyone drink Whiskey or anything else come to that , on one place I went for many years the farmer died a good few years ago , this just left his wife in the big house , so up until she recently died I would buy her a good potted plant for her garden and a decent box of chocs for herself .

On a couple of my farms I will hang a gate which needs sorting, mend a fence but in the main they are more than likely to give me something for keeping their vermin down. If you have a skill then offer to use it.  Often farmers do not have time to hang a gate...how many do you see tied up with string?

IF your thinking of giving a gift then as said, do a bit of research and find what may just fit the bill and that may not be a bottle of anything and often a gift for his wife goes a lot further.  My father was an animal feeding stuff sailsman and he always said that if you got your feet under the kitchen table then you where on a winner. If his wife didn't like you then you would be on a hiding to nothing.  As a child many moons ago I would often be asked to go to the door and tell a farming rep that nothing was required. Then my grandmother would say  "That nice Mr So and So has just driven in the yard, put the coffee pot on".

19 hours ago, Walker570 said:

On a couple of my farms I will hang a gate which needs sorting, mend a fence but in the main they are more than likely to give me something for keeping their vermin down. If you have a skill then offer to use it.  Often farmers do not have time to hang a gate...how many do you see tied up with string?

IF your thinking of giving a gift then as said, do a bit of research and find what may just fit the bill and that may not be a bottle of anything and often a gift for his wife goes a lot further.  My father was an animal feeding stuff sailsman and he always said that if you got your feet under the kitchen table then you where on a winner. If his wife didn't like you then you would be on a hiding to nothing.  As a child many moons ago I would often be asked to go to the door and tell a farming rep that nothing was required. Then my grandmother would say  "That nice Mr So and So has just driven in the yard, put the coffee pot on".

I was always told to tell the reps, to call back on Monday.

Monday being market day and absolutely no one on the farm other than dogs.

My friend, who lives in France, always makes a point of giving a rabbit to the OAPs in his village when he has a surplus (on a sort of rota basis) Plus any other neighbour he happens to meet on his way home

Which is most times he goes shooting. That simple act of charity has had an incredibly positive effect on his becoming an accepted member of the community in which he lives when other British are seen as aloof and distant.

I can't see my neighbours here being so impressed if I presented them with a dead rabbit. They would probably report me to the RSPCA

• 1 year later...

I've only just noticed this thread.

I used to buy all my farmers a bottle of single malt , their wives would get a posh tin of biscuits , and a hat and scarf for the kids . I'd done that for more years than I can remember,  until I found out that one of the farmers was a alcoholic 😳.

I'm a bit more careful these days , and try to match the presents to the farmers.  On one of my farms , I buy the farmer a years worth of rat poison , and put it down for him as and when it's needed.

• 11 months later...

I think the days of gifting alcohol for most anything are fast disappearing. I feel it is almost ignorant to assume someone wants or need a bottle of alcohol. Yes people still drink but something more appropriate would be a ham or such.

I shoot thousand of acres and give many a gift certificate to a restaurant. This includes the whole family and is remembered by all. 

On 10/12/2020 at 21:40, ditchman said:

some people hate whiskey...........why spend £50  plus on a decent bottle of malt....knowing full well he or she will water it down with ginger ale or something else....

find out what he or she really likes........maybe a nice magazine subscription................or a drinkable couple of bottles of port he can share with the mrs or whoever...

do a bit of groundwork first

This. 100%. I knew a keeper in Scotland hated the stuff and would have much rather have had the £10 a bottle then cost in cash to spend on groceries.