So long, Nigel Owens, international rugby ref no more

chrisjpainter

3 hours ago, millrace said:

"CHRISTOPHER".............

Without doubt the best ref out there!!.....

One of my all time favourites! That along with his response to a diabolical lineout throw: 'I'm straighter than that was!'

His style is in stark contrast to Mike Dean, who seems to show absolute contempt for players, which doesn't help them respect him. He acts like a dictator for most of the game. With Nigel Owens, you know he respects the players, but has a firm line in the sands and when you get close to crossing it... 'CHRISTOPHER...' (cue player running back.)

I remember years ago being refereed by a woman. Before the game I asked her how we should address her. She said “sir of course”. It did seem a bit weird. 

I always felt comfortable with Nigel Owens refereeing a game. You knew that he was going to be fair and consistent.  

On 12/12/2020 at 11:55, AVB said:

I remember years ago being refereed by a woman. Before the game I asked her how we should address her. She said “sir of course”. It did seem a bit weird. 

I always felt comfortable with Nigel Owens refereeing a game. You knew that he was going to be fair and consistent.  

Nigel Owens, a legend of the game and I just hope he gets some chances as a pundit to give some real impartial game opinions.

Got reffed by a woman myself a couple of times, both very fair and pretty firm, still good with the usual club level banter in the game, have to say it was hilarious when someone tried to get her attention and they stumbled over their words eventually settling on referee.

Just in reference to Nigels sexuality, aside from a very few people, professional rugby union seems to be one of the more accepting sports for the LGBT players, in my playing days I played against two LGBT teams and had a regular front row partner who was openly gay.... we only cuddled in the scrum mind you