.22LR & .177HMR

Lucasnorth

So, iv just been granted my firearms license and I’m now in the market for 1 of each and wondered what others favour and why. And what’s good and what’s not, was looking at the sako quad but sounds like the scope maybe an issue when changing the barrels, also looking at the browning t bolt. Would quite like a semi auto in .22. Then there’s the scope and mounts to get, been doing loads or reading up of the guns but you can beat real world advice from the PW boys. 
any Input will be most welcoming. 
thanks 

lucas. 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Browning T Bolt in 22RF, excellent rifle and very accurate plus a ten round mag. IF you need a second mag then they are expensive but I never have.

Neat little rifle and handy in vehicle or hide. To be honest the T bolt gets another round in the chamber pretty quick. 

17HMR   CZ without doubt. Mine is scary accurate.

In fact CZ is both would also be a good recomendation from me.

Regarding scopes then look at the Airmax range from Hawke with the big sidewheel. Brilliant where a need the check out targets at 10 yards then 150yrds .

Have a look at the fishing reel straps you can get to attach to the adjusting ring which makes changing magnification very easy and quick.

31 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I have a Browning T Bolt in 22RF, excellent rifle and very accurate plus a ten round mag. IF you need a second mag then they are expensive but I never have.

Neat little rifle and handy in vehicle or hide. To be honest the T bolt gets another round in the chamber pretty quick. 

17HMR   CZ without doubt. Mine is scary accurate.

In fact CZ is both would also be a good recomendation from me.

Regarding scopes then look at the Airmax range from Hawke with the big sidewheel. Brilliant where a need the check out targets at 10 yards then 150yrds .

Have a look at the fishing reel straps you can get to attach to the adjusting ring which makes changing magnification very easy and quick.

Hello, fishing coasters 👍

Under the "any input" heading, unless the HMR is for rabbit only for which it excels, I would be inclined to consider the 22 WMR. I wouldn't have said that 20 odd years back and I won't bore you with my reasoning. Suffice to say just have a look at the spec's of the ammo' which is now available - temporarily not just at present for obvious reasons.

Yep, for the Airmax - one of the less fussy reticle variety and the coasters are a clever idea.

47 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Just my thoughts, don’t waste your cash on a .22 a .17HMR is all you will need it’s a fantastic round, dead flat out to 150 yards, safer than a .22 just make sure you head shot rabbits if you are going to eat them.

I'd agree with this 100%.  I bought both in CZ 455 form and although the 22 has its use the HMR is the go to rifle for bunnies.  

And yes I have read a lot about ammo issues and in the past but personally no issues in 4 years.

Thanks for all the replies so far chaps, iv had a good read up on most rifles and the CZ does seem to come out well in most things iv read. I was just thinking of the 177hmr as I don’t see noise as being a problem on my permission. But also thought for the sake of a few hundred quid I’d just get both, then if there is anywhere where noise is a factor then I’m prepared,  compared to my shotguns rifles are for peanuts😄😄 and I will probably mainly only shooting rabbits.

what are the 177 hmr ammo horror stories?

many thanks. 

lucas. 

3 hours ago, Lucasnorth said:

Thanks for all the replies so far chaps, iv had a good read up on most rifles and the CZ does seem to come out well in most things iv read. I was just thinking of the 177hmr as I don’t see noise as being a problem on my permission. But also thought for the sake of a few hundred quid I’d just get both, then if there is anywhere where noise is a factor then I’m prepared,  compared to my shotguns rifles are for peanuts😄😄 and I will probably mainly only shooting rabbits.

many thanks. 

lucas. 

Just to be clear - it's .17HMR, not .177, which is an airgun calibre.

I hope your Licensing Dept hasn't granted you .177 - stranger things have happened....😱

10 hours ago, Lucasnorth said:

many thanks. 

lucas. 

The problem has been only the primer igniting and this just pushes the bullet an inch up the barrel...........................another round can be chambered and when this one is fired things blow up.

I've put over 5K rounds through my CZ with no problems but you need to be aware of dodgy rounds when loading them in a magazine.

Also if things don't seem right when a round is fired ....stop and check things out.

Just a thought but when looking at scopes bear in mind what you may do in the future as in night vision addons or thermal ones etc as you would need side parallax for these.

I have a CZ in .17HMR and it is a very good, it came with a Bushnell Banner Dusk and Dawn scope which does the job very well.

31 minutes ago, powler said:

Just a thought but when looking at scopes bear in mind what you may do in the future as in night vision addons or thermal ones etc as you would need side parallax for these.

I have a CZ in .17HMR and it is a very good, it came with a Bushnell Banner Dusk and Dawn scope which does the job very well.

And they ideally need to PA down to 10 yards or less - especially if ratting - and a low starting mag such as 3-12 for example.

Edited by Dave-G

Excellent advice about the scopes. Learnt the hard way, still in the process of swapping my fixed parralax scopes out for add on NV compatibility. 
As for rifles, as stated, cz are great, reliable and accurate, and excellent value for money. If you want something a bit more classy look at the anshutz models. Own both .22 and hmr Annie’s and they are really slick, they feel better to shoot than the cz’s in my opinion (used to have a 452 in hmr). Either way you won’t go wrong.  

15 hours ago, aldivalloch said:

Just to be clear - it's .17HMR, not .177, which is an airgun calibre.

I hope your Licensing Dept hasn't granted you .177 - stranger things have happened....😱

Not sure why I kept putting it as a 177🙈 defiantly didn’t get granted one of them😄

8 hours ago, wyn said:

The problem has been only the primer igniting and this just pushes the bullet an inch up the barrel...........................another round can be chambered and when this one is fired things blow up.

I've put over 5K rounds through my CZ with no problems but you need to be aware of dodgy rounds when loading them in a magazine.

Also if things don't seem right when a round is fired ....stop and check things out.

Definitely something I will keep a eye on, thanks.