.22LR & .177HMR

Lucasnorth

23 minutes ago, London Best said:

I have only very rarely shot a rabbit with my Hornet. At up to around 700 ft. lbs. I consider it far too powerful for rabbits.  At 200 yards it will take a rabbits head clean off. Body shots would be messy and I consider rabbits as food. It was bought as a fox rifle.    

The clue is in the name: it’s a BRNO Model Fox. 
I have seen posts on forums where people like to shoot longer range rabbits with more powerful calibres, even .308. I find such antics ridiculous and think they should be shooting targets on a range. Just my opinion, other’s views may differ.

LB agree to extend the guy using 22H for bunnies is restricted to that calibre Regarding land the rabbits according to him very wary so long range shots is the only thing that works As I said he feeds the meat to ferrets I myself have taken couple rabbits with 222 while out foxing The damage is tremendous that’s why I mainly use 22lr sensible ranges 

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

What we come down to basically is the old saying...horses for courses...... I have situations where I use an air rifle and then places where the 22RF works, then i have places where the 17HMR is king, THEN  I have situations where I will take either my 17 Remington or 22Bench Rest.  They will all do the job in their own field.

Agree as well 👍👍My friend who I hunt with is Big 17hmr fan me I’m more 22lr 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a .22WMR , CZ 452 Synthetic, found less bullet drift in windy conditions than my 452 17hmr .

Just sold my 10/22 , to go back to a CZ 452 American . The Ruger was great fun, but despite all the correct mod's

would Jam occasionally with sub sonics. 

Ive always found CZ's to be reliable and consistently accurate, if I do my bit.

Whats  A RABBIT?  I have seen them in Pets At Home, quaint looking things.

It's pretty much all been said and personal preference and budget will play a part.

For all practical purposes CZ will do the job in an excellent manner if you are talking general pest/vermin work.  (Actually they will hold their own in normal target work as well)

You can spend a lot more but you will not find any practical benefit for field work.

My guns are work tools and I have never found them lacking in the field. 

All CZ in various calibres except for the semi (Magtech). :good:946.JPG.42d1328e840e53641d186d3b6c86d1ed.JPG

Edited by Dekers

And, if anyone can be bothered. Can you tell me the difference between all the models of the CZ’s please. Number and name wise. 
the tikka also seems a good choice. Also been looking at the ruger precision in .22lr flavour, I’m normally in such a rush to buy guns so iv don’t well with not choosing  my rifles yet. I guess lockdown has helped😄

you need to differentiate between range and hunting rifles. On a range you can shoot .22 out to some surprising distances. I use .22 at night on rabbits and do not have to shoot beyond 50, use field craft to get close enough. In the day with the .17hmr, if it is not too windy I will shoot out to 130. The .17hmr is not widely used as a range gun.

You could write a book about all the different CZ models so a better question is what would folk recommend for your use, there is no such thing as a do it all model.

I was purchasing when the 452 became the 455 and folk 'upgraded' only to find that there was little practical difference. l purchased 2nd hand 452's, one well used in .22 and one almost new in .17hmr, both were cheap and have been absolutely fine. I did fit a different trigger spring to both to lighten as that is what I prefer.

I was purchasing specifically for hunting for which the CZ's are perfect as already stated by several folk.

What exactly do you want to do with the rifles?

I’ve no experience with the 457 but as said above the 455 and 452 are effectively the same gun, it has barely changed from the BRNO models. I would find a cheap 455 rather than overpay for a 457 but it is personal choice. 

Range wise I up the above figures a little, taking rabbits 80 yards with .22LR and 150 yards with .17HMR. 

16 hours ago, Dekers said:

It's pretty much all been said and personal preference and budget will play a part.

For all practical purposes CZ will do the job in an excellent manner if you are talking general pest/vermin work.  (Actually they will hold their own in normal target work as well)

You can spend a lot more but you will not find any practical benefit for field work.

My guns are work tools and I have never found them lacking in the field. 

All CZ in various calibres except for the semi (Magtech). :good:946.JPG.42d1328e840e53641d186d3b6c86d1ed.JPG

Envious of your rimfire collection 👍

https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/rifles/cz/bolt-action/17-hmr/455-american-synthetic-180308130743004

£350 for a new rifle. I paid £315 from Cheshire Gun Rooms but that was 4 years ago. 

https://www.guntrader.uk/guns/rifles/cz/bolt-action/22-lr/455-american-synthetic-201215101625136

This one in .22LR is only £10 more than the second hand one above it. You’re not going to lose much money on it. 

58AB56C3-FEFC-4618-9DE2-F622A42D3D55.png

8 hours ago, Lucasnorth said:

Great reading so far chaps. 
another question, what distances are you shooting out to with the 2 rounds?

You will get a lot of variation of answers to this, and only YOU will know what you are capable/confident of over time.

In the field, if I have good support, (Bipod/Tree/fence/whatever) then I'm very comfortable with 70-80 yards with my .22lr with subs, and about 125 with the HMR, but I have been doing this a long time and know the guns and ammo very well.  I also hate free hand shots and go out of my way to avoid them wherever possible, distance comes down if I have to shoot freehand.

In both cases I have taken longer shots when the sitution has seemed reasonable, but also in both cases I would always try and get as close as possible.

On the range (prone/bipod) I have used .22lr to 200 yards and on still days you can get very good results, but if it's gusty forget it.  I have also used the HMR at 600 yards on the range, I eventually got the shots on the board! :unhappy::good:

Edited by Dekers