Jump to content

.22LR & .177HMR


Recommended Posts

On 11/12/2020 at 20:28, blackbird said:

Just my thoughts, don’t waste your cash on a .22 a .17HMR is all you will need it’s a fantastic round, dead flat out to 150 yards, safer than a .22 just make sure you head shot rabbits if you are going to eat them.

I wasted my cash on 17hmr tbolt when they first came out Cracked ammo cases Lamping in high winds the bullet head was blown all over the place plus there’s still a crack with moderator on it Sold it went back to 22lr CZ Still shooting it years on 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shooting in Lincolnshire, big flat fields, the 17 HMR is the perfect tool. I have a 22lr but its noway near as versatile as the HMR. Ammunition quality is certainly a problem at the moment, groupings are all over, but even despite this it still out performs a 22. The only other calibre i would consider is hornet but I don’t get time to reload to make it cost effective. 

I have a CZ, v.good rifles. 

If i was buying now I would also have a good look at the Tikka rimfire range. Can't comment on them personally but I have a tikka centrefire and its accurate.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've both .17hmr and .22lr.

My .17hmr is a CZ452. Absolute beaut of a gun - way more accurate than I will ever be... Only criticism I have is it's a Varmint, so very heavy.

My other rifle goes against all other comments. If the CZ is Agricultural, I'm not sure how you'd describe the PUMA. But I bought it (£150 brand new, synthetic stock) as an out and out worker. Stuck a cheap Hawke 3-9*50 scope on it. I don't care if it gets knocked, scratched or a touch rusty (surface). It shoots lovely (accurate enough for rabbits), and I really like it.

I bought the hmr first, 15 years ago. The .22 came only 5 years ago... for rabbits the .22 is my go to now (although there's not many rabbits here any more - the bunny virus seen to that!). Hmr hardly gets used but I keep it for crows.

 

If I was forced to sell one it'll be the hmr (and it is a round I love!).

Link to post
Share on other sites

I use CZ's in .22lr and .17hmr (both 452 models and .222 cf.

My HMR has a  Varmint barrel and I would agree is quite heavy to lug about, but with a sling and quad sticks I have no problem.

All the rifles are very accurate and I have no complaints with any of them.

Had  two squib rounds with HMR early days but none since, but I am aware and watch/listen for anything untoward when firing all my rifles and check bore etc if anything untoward.

 

I think the HMR is the most versatile (wind permitting) but enjoy them all for different reasons.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 13/12/2020 at 20:47, Harry Callahan said:

I've both .17hmr and .22lr.

My .17hmr is a CZ452. Absolute beaut of a gun - way more accurate than I will ever be... Only criticism I have is it's a Varmint, so very heavy.

 

 

 

 

bloody hell you built like jarvis cocker,i'm pretty scrawney and i find the CZ 455 in HMR a feather weight and a pleasure to walk round with compared to a CF in 308.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Remimax said:

bloody hell you built like jarvis cocker,i'm pretty scrawney and i find the CZ 455 in HMR a feather weight and a pleasure to walk round with compared to a CF in 308.

Varmint. It has the heavy barrel and heavier chunkier stock than the standard/American... difference in weight between them is noticeable.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve owned the t bolt in both Calibres and now own the cz 452 in .22. Both great hunting guns if that’s what you want it for. The t bolt is lighter and quicker to re-load so I would say this would be more suitable as a truck gun or something to walk around with and shoot off sticks  and the cz is just very rugged and probably more stable off a bi pod than the t bolt with a better trigger out of the box for precision.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2020 at 20:31, London Best said:

The sheer quantity of horror stories about ammunition problems has put me off ever wanting a .17HMR.

Had one now ever since they arrived and sent out by Edgars and NEVER EVER had a problem.  My present CZ is a surgical instrument.  Totally different animal to the 22RF which i also have. The difference, like a Land Rover and a Ferrari.  I have always used Hornady cartridges and the last time there was discussion on her  I kept all of my empties from a 50 pack and never found a single split case. I also went through them prior to use and they where all perfect.  The only complaints I have are from tree rats, crows etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Had one now ever since they arrived and sent out by Edgars and NEVER EVER had a problem.  My present CZ is a surgical instrument.  Totally different animal to the 22RF which i also have. The difference, like a Land Rover and a Ferrari.  I have always used Hornady cartridges and the last time there was discussion on her  I kept all of my empties from a 50 pack and never found a single split case. I also went through them prior to use and they where all perfect.  The only complaints I have are from tree rats, crows etc.

I have to admit that my personal experience of the calibre is limited to zeroing a scope for an elderly friend who had never had a scope before. I did half consider buying one, but the endless horror stories put me off completely and I stuck with a .22LR and a .22Hornet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, London Best said:

I have to admit that my personal experience of the calibre is limited to zeroing a scope for an elderly friend who had never had a scope before. I did half consider buying one, but the endless horror stories put me off completely and I stuck with a .22LR and a .22Hornet.

Think you made right decision I bought 17hmr when first arrived UK Was glad get shot of it went back to 22lr to many problems with ammunition and Lamping high winds light grain bullet head blown all over the place Just wasn’t for me 22lr long history which we all know 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Gerry78 said:

Think you made right decision I bought 17hmr when first arrived UK Was glad get shot of it went back to 22lr to many problems with ammunition and Lamping high winds light grain bullet head blown all over the place Just wasn’t for me 22lr long history which we all know 

I did notice the bullet drift problem whilst zeroing the man’s rifle. It was a windy day and so I zeroed downwind. Then I tried two groups with a right/left and left/right wind. I wasn’t impressed. Quite apart from that it was obvious it could never replace my .22 Hornet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, London Best said:

it could never replace my .22 Hornet.

.22 hornet is centre fire so not really comparable to .17HMR, .22WMR would be a fairer comparison. 

.22LR subsonic in a moderated rifle will always be a great tool. A higher powered rimfire either .17HMR or .22WMR will have a place in certain situations but if your land and budget suit then .22 centre fire would clearly be a stronger set up.

Brand new .22WMR/.17HMR CZ455 were £315 when I bought mine from Cheshire Gunroom. Try finding a new centre fire with detachable magazine in that price bracket. A new rimfire moderator is £30, you would be looking at perhaps £150 for a relatively cheap centrefire mod? Decent .22lr subs at £4 per 50, .17hmr £15 per 50, .223 £25 per 20. 

Probably to summarise... If you just want one rifle starting out for rabbit and short range fox .17HMR is a great compromise calibre. As soon as you have multiple set ups, land and money it is less useful as .22LR is best for rabbits and .22 CF best for foxes. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

.22 hornet is centre fire so not really comparable to .17HMR, .22WMR would be a fairer comparison. 

.22LR subsonic in a moderated rifle will always be a great tool. A higher powered rimfire either .17HMR or .22WMR will have a place in certain situations but if your land and budget suit then .22 centre fire would clearly be a stronger set up.

Brand new .22WMR/.17HMR CZ455 were £315 when I bought mine from Cheshire Gunroom. Try finding a new centre fire with detachable magazine in that price bracket. A new rimfire moderator is £30, you would be looking at perhaps £150 for a relatively cheap centrefire mod? Decent .22lr subs at £4 per 50, .17hmr £15 per 50, .223 £25 per 20. 

Probably to summarise... If you just want one rifle starting out for rabbit and short range fox .17HMR is a great compromise calibre. As soon as you have multiple set ups, land and money it is less useful as .22LR is best for rabbits and .22 CF best for foxes. 

 

 

IMO .22WMR knocks spots off .17HMR, but if you think it is comparable to a .22 Hornet then maybe you have never tried a Hornet. I have used mine on several hundred foxes since 1992 when I paid £190 for it..It is a 1958 rifle and will group under half inch at 100 yards. I don’t use a mod on it.

Just re-read your post and maybe you meant to compare wmr to hmr, not Hornet?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a Marlin 917 with a fluted barrel. It’s heavy, and long, but accurate and pretty and it was what was in the gun shop when I went in with a shiny new licence! 
With regards to Ammo, I have had 2 rounds in thousands over 10 years now which sounded strange but left the barrel. However, I regularly find split cases which don’t eject on the bolt, so I keep my knife handy to plucky the case out after. 
I head shoot rabbits from 50-150 yards with mine. During the day, rabbits are very spooked by the noise, but at night I’ve shot 2 or 3 before they bolt if 80-100 yards away when firing.

1779476A-5B94-4C68-8907-495F10B5E60D.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, London Best said:

I did notice the bullet drift problem whilst zeroing the man’s rifle. It was a windy day and so I zeroed downwind. Then I tried two groups with a right/left and left/right wind. I wasn’t impressed. Quite apart from that it was obvious it could never replace my .22 Hornet.

A lot of hunters myself included have noticed on a windy day bullet drift a big problem I’ve never shot a 22 hornet but know a man who uses the hornet for long range rabbits He doesn’t eat the rabbits he uses the dead ones for he’s ferrets Meat damage according to him on bunny’s is substantial He also very successful with 22H on foxes 🦊 

Link to post
Share on other sites

What we come down to basically is the old saying...horses for courses...... I have situations where I use an air rifle and then places where the 22RF works, then i have places where the 17HMR is king, THEN  I have situations where I will take either my 17 Remington or 22Bench Rest.  They will all do the job in their own field.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gerry78 said:

A lot of hunters myself included have noticed on a windy day bullet drift a big problem I’ve never shot a 22 hornet but know a man who uses the hornet for long range rabbits He doesn’t eat the rabbits he uses the dead ones for he’s ferrets Meat damage according to him on bunny’s is substantial He also very successful with 22H on foxes 🦊 

I have only very rarely shot a rabbit with my Hornet. At up to around 700 ft. lbs. I consider it far too powerful for rabbits.  At 200 yards it will take a rabbits head clean off. Body shots would be messy and I consider rabbits as food. It was bought as a fox rifle.    

The clue is in the name: it’s a BRNO Model Fox. 
I have seen posts on forums where people like to shoot longer range rabbits with more powerful calibres, even .308. I find such antics ridiculous and think they should be shooting targets on a range. Just my opinion, other’s views may differ.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, London Best said:

I have only very rarely shot a rabbit with my Hornet. At up to around 700 ft. lbs. I consider it far too powerful for rabbits.  At 200 yards it will take a rabbits head clean off. Body shots would be messy and I consider rabbits as food. It was bought as a fox rifle.    

The clue is in the name: it’s a BRNO Model Fox. 
I have seen posts on forums where people like to shoot longer range rabbits with more powerful calibres, even .308. I find such antics ridiculous and think they should be shooting targets on a range. Just my opinion, other’s views may differ.

It could be argued that near vaporizing a rabbit is more humane than a shot that takes it a few seconds or so to die.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...