Rat poison.

mel b3

Hiya folks.

I'm in need of a bit of advice on rat poison.

Basically,  on one of my shooting permissions,  I trap the odd rat around the place ( theirs hardly any there to be honest) , but the farmer has asked me to poison them . I don't have a ticket to buy the pro poisons , so my question is , is it worth buying the amateur poisons ?, or is it just a waste of ,time , effort , money ?  .  If the amateur stuff is ok , could anyone give me a pointer towards brands and suppliers .

Cheers guys.

37 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

Hiya folks.

I'm in need of a bit of advice on rat poison.

Basically,  on one of my shooting permissions,  I trap the odd rat around the place ( theirs hardly any there to be honest) , but the farmer has asked me to poison them . I don't have a ticket to buy the pro poisons , so my question is , is it worth buying the amateur poisons ?, or is it just a waste of ,time , effort , money ?  .  If the amateur stuff is ok , could anyone give me a pointer towards brands and suppliers .

Cheers guys.

Hello mel, never found the poisons you can buy as a member of the public any good, the one we buy at  the farm is jaguar pink blocks, even then the rats can become immune from some poisons, and I only put poison down in an enclosed area, ( grain dryer barn) so no rats escape to be taken by owl or fox etc, where does your farmer buy his weed killer etc from ? He should be able to buy rat poison on the farm account , These must all be kept in a secure lock up, we have a small steel container, oh I am on my friends farm business under pest control for the use of rat poison, pm me if you need more help, 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello mel, never found the poisons you can buy as a member of the public any good, the one we buy at  the farm is jaguar pink blocks, even then the rats can become immune from some poisons, and I only put poison down in an enclosed area, ( grain dryer barn) so no rats escape to be taken by owl or fox etc, where does your farmer buy his weed killer etc from ? He should be able to buy rat poison on the farm account , These must all be kept in a secure lock up, we have a small steel container, oh I am on my friends farm business under pest control for the use of rat poison, pm me if you need more help, 

Hello, PM your number mel will catch up later 

you could start with a quick review of the active ingredients this page will help https://www.pestfix.co.uk/active-ingredients.asp some of them are pretty horrifying for some wildlife

all active ingredients still work which is why they are still sold. The more pet friendly ones are usually those on sale in b n q etc

Poisons being left continuously available as a preventative measure (this is now no longer best practice) allowed rats to nibble away and build up immunity to some active ingredients in some areas.

If you do not think that you have a very high density at the moment then your trapping and any shooting is keeping them in check. We only use poison on the farm when we get the first winter influx now. 

We follow the CRRU code of good practice which forms part of our farm assurance and may do yours https://www.thinkwildlife.org/code-of-best-practice/crru-code/

The misuse of rodenticides has brought about strict laws and regulations! The use of “professional use only” products by non professionals is illegal! 
Chumps slinging poison around like confetti still goes on and needs to stop! 
Over the years I’ve seen plenty of shocking practices that people either don’t care about or don’t know about! Read the labels!!!!! 
Oh and for info and in my experience farmers and keepers have antiquated attitudes towards rats and poison and need to up their game on this one. 
As mentioned check out the CRRU code. 

Thank you for the advice so far guys . I'm pretty safety aware from all angles , and spent quite a while using talunex and phostoxin , and I've successfully used the pro poisons in the past.

In all honesty , the farm doesn't have any real rat problem . The odd rat usually turns up at this time of year , and is sorted pretty quickly, but this year the farmer has seen two rats (already dealt with), and is quite sensitive about it , so I just want to do everything that I can to put his mind at rest.

Thanks again guys , all info is very welcome 👍

Ps. The farmer has stopped drinking now , so it looks like this years Christmas present will be rat poison 😊.