Eley Eco Steel??

Used the ,65mm /2 1/2 inch grand Prix steel this week in a 2 1/2 inch chambered 1906 Cogswell and Harrison with good effect on both duck and pheasant,not astronomic birds but good sporting shots of 35 + yards.

Not cheap but cheaper than tungsten or bismuth.Very pleased and happy in the knowledge that I can continue to use my old guns.

3 hours ago, greylag said:

Used the ,65mm /2 1/2 inch grand Prix steel this week in a 2 1/2 inch chambered 1906 Cogswell and Harrison with good effect on both duck and pheasant,not astronomic birds but good sporting shots of 35 + yards.

Not cheap but cheaper than tungsten or bismuth.Very pleased and happy in the knowledge that I can continue to use my old guns.

Thanks greyleg im gonna shoot a flight pond in January for a change rather than shore line So was thinking off trying the 65inch 2 1/2 inch chamber cartridges If any duck come in should be responsible ranges with my side/side 

I went to buy some on Friday. I wanted the Grand Prix for 2 1/2 inch guns but could not get any. I bought the VIP Eco. Be aware they are 2 3/4 inch, 70mm rated so no use in a game gun. I have not used them yet but have every confidence they will perform.

edit to say I paid £10/box.

Edited by London Best

7 hours ago, London Best said:

I went to buy some on Friday. I wanted the Grand Prix for 2 1/2 inch guns but could not get any. I bought the VIP Eco. Be aware they are 2 3/4 inch, 70mm rated so no use in a game gun. I have not used them yet but have every confidence they will perform.

edit to say I paid £10/box.

33 minutes ago, flippermaj said:

I have used several 32 gram no 3 eco steel through a couple of aya’s on geese to good effect at sensible ranges, pinks on the foreshore, not Canadas.  I guess the 5’s will be fine for duck.

Cheers for the responses I’m struggling actually finding any off the dealers here in Northern Ireland that has them in stock at the moment I can use standard steel in the Aya no3 magnum with 3 inch chamber But would prefer to try these eco steel in the S/S which the cartridges have been designed for 👍👍£10 per box not bad I seen online some shops in England charging between £11 -£11:50 a box Just seen the being used on field sport Britain very good reviews 👍👍

I have used both eco cartridges the 2 3/4 and now the 2 1/2 and found both perfectly capable of dealing with the type of shooting I do,small driven days ,wildfowling ,and pigeon, crows etc and a I am very pleased to know that there is now a steel cartridge for sale that will allow me to continue using my older s/ sides.

I have found that the only place I have been able to get them along with other eco cartridges is Just Cartridges.

I am sure you won't be disappointed ,provided you remember the capabilities of the cartridge.

I seen them funny enough on just cartridges I’m looking forward to trying them It’s Good news for the boys using the real old side by sides 👍👍

1 hour ago, greylag said:

I have used both eco cartridges the 2 3/4 and now the 2 1/2 and found both perfectly capable of dealing with the type of shooting I do,small driven days ,wildfowling ,and pigeon, crows etc and a I am very pleased to know that there is now a steel cartridge for sale that will allow me to continue using my older s/ sides.

I have found that the only place I have been able to get them along with other eco cartridges is Just Cartridges.

I am sure you won't be disappointed ,provided you remember the capabilities of the cartridge.

I was advised by my gunsmith not to put 'anything' more than 32grms of No 3's through my Yeoman SBS, so I assume that will still stand even with those and as a matter of interest to everyone, the pattern on those new Eley pro eco's aren't perfect yet, the Gamebore dark storm seem to be the cart of choice at the moment

2 hours ago, Shearwater said:

I was advised by my gunsmith not to put 'anything' more than 32grms of No 3's through my Yeoman SBS, so I assume that will still stand even with those and as a matter of interest to everyone, the pattern on those new Eley pro eco's aren't perfect yet, the Gamebore dark storm seem to be the cart of choice at the moment

How do you know what the patterns would be like?

3 hours ago, Mr grumpy said:

Used the 5's on duck and pheasent.deadly at 30-35 yards👍

That’s good to hear bud if I do manage to get them it will be for ducks flighting into a large pond no further than 30 yards with the couple hides are positioned on the pond  👍👍👍

3 hours ago, Shearwater said:

I haven’t heard nothing on the pattern of the actual shot Field sports video just posted last week Paul childerley got good results shooting a pond So here’s hoping 👍

On 14/12/2020 at 22:05, motty said:

How do you know what the patterns would be like?

A few very good shots I know were having problem using them and reported to Eley who answered by telling them that they are aware of a problem and a solution is forthcoming. What the actual problem is I don't know anymore than it's effecting about 2 or 3 out of 10 carts

On 14/12/2020 at 19:17, Shearwater said:

All guns will pattern differently nobody can know how they pattern until you pattern test in your own gun.

53 minutes ago, Gerry78 said:

Hopefully your right 👍in a day off modern shotguns The latest technology fancy o/u and semi autos the older s/s takes you back to a time when shooting was much more simple in my view 👍👍

I use my share of modern stuff but also antique sporting guns. If you look at the sales at Holts and discussions I have had with top quality gunsmiths I am confident in my statement. That is even to the point of investing a sizeable sum in a 1906 SxS. More info will follow when I eventually pick it up ....in a few months with the way things are going.

On 21/12/2020 at 13:29, Dangerous Brian said:

Does anyone know of any dealers in the Worcestershire area with stock of steel+ biowads? My local shops don't have them and seemed very doubtful about getting anything for the next few months.

Cheers

Did you try Shooting Supplies in Bromsgrove, failing that I got some from the gun shop at Becketts Farm by Wythall - first time in the shop though and not sure I’d go back, felt like a preppers bunker!